What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A plea for some Wikis instead of Stickies.

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Guys this is pathetic. Is this what you come here for ?

Some kind of wrestling contest ?

Maybe a typing contest.

Me, I'm just here to learn to grow weed better.

Respect to Cervantes but his books need some good editing.
Too many instructions like " add fi ounces of whatever"
I figure fi means find information but they never got around to it.
Book is full of those fi's . Pity.... man knows his onions.
Too much of ' well you could do this , but on the other hand you could try that, and then some people say......
Yes - we want a RECIPE BOOK and we can change it as we learn.

You're right, that went in the wrong direction. I apologize, I just tend to respond to posts in kind, y'know? In fairness, I've moderated my responses to match the poster. I didn't come after you specifically, for instance. :D

In the OP, it sounded like you're wanting a step-by-step flow chart sort of situation, or, as I said, an instruction manual.

I was under the impression you were wanting something like a Wiki that says "Do this and such and such is the result", and you wanted that done for all stickies. Obviously, I object to that approach, and strongly. I think I've made my reasons clear, and I hope you can at least see where I'm coming from, even if you don't agree.

But in this most recent post, it sounds like you're just wanting a sort of beginner's guide to the very basics of technique. If that's the case, that's different.

If you're wanting something that says "Here's the basics of DWC", and then gives you links or something for further research, then I misunderstood what you desired. I feel that that desire doesn't apply to all posters in this thread I've responded to, though.

If I'm correct that you're looking for a basic kind of "DWC 101" or "Coco 101", then I can explain why I feel that doesn't happen.

The first consideration is the nature of what you're wanting. A thread titled "Start Here!" or "DWC Quick Start" would rapidly devolve into one of those 100+ page stickies you dislike. Not from any inherent flaw in the system, but simply that there are so many people here that have subjective views and results. As I've said, establishing a "fact" in this area is nigh impossible. We just don't have the resources. So trying to make a definitive thread like that is just not possible, as people will jump in and add their own experiences, and it becomes a monster thread. Probably a really good one, but outside the bounds you're wanting.

The second consideration is time. If you can't do it as an open thread, then you have to do it as an article for IC, and even that is open to discussion in a certain sense. The difference between doing an article and making the OP on a good thread is immense.

For example, I've thought many times about making a thread entitled "Start growing for ~$100 at Wal-Mart!". But the intense focus and time it would take to make that article worthwhile is enormous.

First, I have to start a new grow from scratch. That's fine if I'm setting up a new grow that meets those criteria. But let's face it, if I'm already running a custom 2kw run, I have absolutely no motivation to go build some random grow from scratch. If nothing else, you're talking about spending ~$100+ for no real net gain. Big, BIG turn off right there. No one wants to spend cash they don't have to.

Second, I have to document every single phase of not only the grow, but the build out as well. So now, every time I do something in the grow, I have to remember to bring my camera and take pics. Look at any grow diary, and you'll find at least one post saying "Oops, forgot the camera" at least once. It's a LOT harder than it sounds. I've tried to detail just build-outs, and always, ALWAYS have I missed photographing some crucial step along the way.

Even worse is just the simple time factor. I not only have to document this build out, but the article isn't really worth a shit if I miss ANY key steps. No pressure :D

So not only does the author take on the responsibility of a huge task, but he does it for no reason but kindness. There is no benefit. No remuneration for time spent formulating an article worth publishing. Not even any recognition beyond a single forum. It's not like any other "publications" are going to pick up your story off the wire.

So, even for a basics guide, you're talking about a huge expenditure in resources. Worse, it's not just a huge investment in time and resources, but it is an expenditure with no real net gain.

Who would be willing to take that on? Mother Teresa, maybe, but last I checked, she wasn't running a grow show (or alive, for that matter):D

So, to document a grow as an example of the basics to others is an extraordinary undertaking. Especially when you take into account that not only would someone have to be not only giving, but immune to any criticism. That is just not feasible in the current climate.

I could give you the instructions to grow for under $100 at Wal-Mart, but it would actually be a DISservice to you as a grower.

I could say "Go to Walmart and buy 2 13-gallon tubs. Buy a 3 light fixture for $6.95 and three 42 watt CFLs. Also grab a Stanley blower, and a couple of buckets from the toy section. Head over to the aquarium section and pick up a $7 air pump and $20 of activated carbon. Go to Ebay and buy a $25 dollar PH pen. Go to whatever retailer and buy a $15 bottle of FNB"

Will this grow you good pot? Yes, it's all the basics. But, when you get hit a snag, you're fucked. You're in the Infirmary making desperate posts to salvage what you can by whatever means necessary.

Why? Because you don't understand the theory behind the instructions I gave you. You don't understand that tap water has a certain base level of magnesium and calcium, and that your using R/O water is what is causing your Cal/Mag def (why do you think they make a product called Cal/Mag?) You don't understand the early signs of Cal/Mag deficiencies, and not only are you unprepared to deal with the problem, you're completely mystified as to the possible solution.

That's why I personally don't say much without the prefaces of "In my experience" or "In my opinion".

So, an instruction manual sort of thinking kind of pisses me off, just because it denigrates the efforts so many have put towards advancing this art.

If you're asking for a "Bare Basics of Growing", that's at least theoretically feasible. A Wiki of "definitive facts" is impossible. A basic grow guide is possible, but a massive time sink. Yet your OP makes it seem like you want a shortcut, and there is no real shortcut in this game.

Hence, you see reactions like mine, people who feel knowledge is path, not the destination.

A step-by-step of the basics is possible, but not reasonable. Asking someone to do all of that for no return and no acknowledgment seems pretty damn selfish.

If all you're wanting is the basics to get started, then the info should be quickly available as you say. But the time and resources you've demanded for what seems to you to be a simple updated post is actually a tremendous burden.

That's why I say "Hey, read it yourself". That's what I had to do, that's what everyone here had to do. That's what you'll have to do. It's the nature of the beast. If you're the type of person that can't comprehend that, then you need to go elsewhere.

I'm not saying you're that type of person, because it seems now that you're looking for something different than the OP suggests. But given the circumstances, you will hopefully better understand our art. Not just our science, but the art itself.

Of course, if I misunderstood you, my apologies. But I'm simply reacting to what I see.

Last edited:

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
oldog - Have you read any growing books? It's a much more suitable format for learning the basics. Learn to grow by reading some books. Learn to grow better by participating and utilizing the forums.

You've seen how there are a dozen different answers to any questions you ask around here... there's no way a wiki would work any better than stickies, because there would still be a hundred different ways offered to do every simple thing.

Yo nitetiger sorry. It seems like I have many peeps on here telling me to read. Its insulting when I read constantly, especially on ICMAG and have a pretty damn good grasp on the majority of it. All I was doing was stating my opinion. And I stated it was biased. I never ripped on you originally, but excuse me if you thought I did.

I have trouble designing a fancy post like yall as my only access is my phone. Frickin crippling...

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Yo nitetiger sorry. It seems like I have many peeps on here telling me to read. Its insulting when I read constantly, especially on ICMAG and have a pretty damn good grasp on the majority of it. All I was doing was stating my opinion. And I stated it was biased. I never ripped on you originally, but excuse me if you thought I did.

I have trouble designing a fancy post like yall as my only access is my phone. Frickin crippling...

I've tried IC on a phone, it's a form of torture that's forbidden under the Geneva Convention, I believe. If it's not, it should be :D

FlaDankster said:
oldog said:
Night Tiger- where can I get Diatomaceous Earth without going to a Hydro store ?

home depot or lowes......bout 8-9 bucks for a 4lb bag.Don't know if it's cheaper ordering online or not.

That's the industrial grade, and you do not want to use that.

Latest posts

Latest posts