What's new

A plasma universe vs Big Bang theory.

igrowone

Veteran
yeah, this stuff really pushes the mind to its limits
since i've seen a few SciAm links, guessing there are some SciaAm fans here
i do recall one article from a several years back, which had a very interesting article on a modified big bang
from what i remember, the universe is not limited in extent, the big bang we had is just one of an infinite number of big bangs
each big bang universe is separated from others by immense space
the implications were that there are infinite universes, with infinite number of quantum states
when you have infinity to work with, some very strange shit pops out
so by this theory, there are an infinite numbers of version of 'you'
a universe where you turned left on a road instead of right, another where you sneezed at one moment but not in this universe
there was an argument that this could not be, because if the universe was infinite in extent, there should be light no matter which direction you looked, i.e. a black sky would not occur
but this theory had some explanation for that, don't recall what it was

ibjamming

Veteran
yeah, this stuff really pushes the mind to its limits
since i've seen a few SciAm links, guessing there are some SciaAm fans here
i do recall one article from a several years back, which had a very interesting article on a modified big bang
from what i remember, the universe is not limited in extent, the big bang we had is just one of an infinite number of big bangs
each big bang universe is separated from others by immense space
the implications were that there are infinite universes, with infinite number of quantum states

when you have infinity to work with, some very strange shit pops out
so by this theory, there are an infinite numbers of version of 'you'
a universe where you turned left on a road instead of right, another where you sneezed at one moment but not in this universe
there was an argument that this could not be, because if the universe was infinite in extent, there should be light no matter which direction you looked, i.e. a black sky would not occur
but this theory had some explanation for that, don't recall what it was

And if you take it farther...super novas are just "mini failed universes"? Not quite big enough to create their own "universe" within a larger one?

I don't remember, do black holes explode or evaporate? Could a massive black hole...REALLY big one...explode? Maybe it could push everything so completely out of the way that anything forming afterward would just see "remnants from the shockwave"...like we do now? We THINK we're in an expanding universe when we're really inside a huge SUPER super nova shockwave? Stars form after a super nova...why couldn't a REALLY big shockwave fool us?

Just a thought...

igrowone

Veteran
^^^ interesting thoughts, i can tell you what i've read, for what that's worth
black holes are actually supposed to be able to explode, but it happens when they get too small
the black hole 'shines' with hawking radiation, which lowers its mass(over a very long period of time)
eventually the mas becomes low enough so the black hole can't maintain itself as a black hole, then it pops
getting a black hole so that is too large? as far as i know, it's not supposed to happen
but a lot of this stuff is way up in the air, we can't even detect hawking radiation yet(there was an earlier post on this), probably won't for a long time
when you can detect hawking radiation(if ever), then you have some very direct evidence that black holes behave as hawking(and einstein) predicted, in which case black holes behave as physicists think they do

Latest posts

Latest posts