What's new

A perfect cure every time

greenops

The issue I think is that we have outside relative humidity that is 65% +, so no way to get bud to drop below 65%. The fridge is a lower humidity and will allow someone to draw down the RH to whatever they want, as long as they close the lid on the jar before removing from fridge to avoid condensation.

Simon gives another user's rice-as-dessicant technique for lowering jar RH below ambient RH. The fridge technique is merely a simpler way to lower jar RH, taking advantage of the modern fridge/freezer design which removes moisture from the air to avoid frost buildup.

Putting your jars in the fridge, open, and closing them very quickly when you take them out (reach into the fridge to do it) will help you lower your jar RH if that is what you need to do to follow Simon's method.

exactly!
Would u guys try to lower it too or is 65% ok? I still have 65%... i'm worried it messes up the quality if i let it sit in the fridge longer

mad librettist

Veteran
the air in my fridge is like 35% RH. I put the jar in there, let's say the RH is 66 and I want 63. Four hours or so in the fridge, open, and the hygro reads 40 odd percent. I reach in, snap the lid shut, and take it out. Repeat until your jar stabilizes at target RH.

Beware condensation if you take the jar out and don't close it very quickly.

this really only applies AFAIK to frost free fridge/freezer combos, and the only kind I have tested is the freezer on top kind.

greenops

Thank man.. Ok ill continue this with one jar and see what happens. BTW i dont know if my fridge is frost free. It seems like a modern fridge, pre installed in this apartment.

mad librettist

Veteran
Thank man.. Ok ill continue this with one jar and see what happens. BTW i dont know if my fridge is frost free. It seems like a modern fridge, pre installed in this apartment.

does frost build up in the freezer?

you can just stick a hygrometer in the fridge and come back in 10 minutes for an exact temp and RH

greenops

does frost build up in the freezer?

you can just stick a hygrometer in the fridge and come back in 10 minutes for an exact temp and RH

Yes there is some frost in my freezer. I didnt know there are literally frost free freezers lol.
After 10min in the fridge, the hygrometer shows 14C and 55% RH. I'm sure the temp is much more lower than that. Also the RH should go down to about 40% after a while.
So do you think I can use this fridge?

rrog

Veteran
I've not done the fridge deal myself yet (about to) but your fridge should be fine. You only need the fridge humidity to be lower than the jar to draw out humidity.

HPS400

Simon
Thanks you for such a fantastic technique... you are the man...
One question
When you complete your 3 day dry and the buds are slightly crispy on the outside... what is the first RH reading you get once your buds are placed in the jars for a few hours.
What would be the highst RH rating that would be safe to start the process?
Thanks Again.

rrog

Veteran
Not sure about Simon, but when my buds hit the jars, they are high 60s. After harvest, I have the buds hanging at 70F, at 70% for 7 days with a fan. I have a humidifier going to get the RH to 70% in the little room. After that they hit the jars.

dgr

I wanted to throw a big screw you to Amazon on the Calibers. I don't mind paying for reasonable shipping. But don't expect me to pay the same per unit shipping charges when we all know they are going in the same box. $25 in shipping what would probably be shipped via ground for five hygrometers? :fsu:

For you guys using fridges to drop the humidity in your jars as outlined above, it does not have to be a frost-free fridge. Cold air holds less water at a given humidity. So if you put cool air (even at 65% humidity) into your jars, close them then let them come to room temperature, the air in the jar in essence becomes drier. This pulls some moisture out of your buds and into the jar air. Repeat as desired.

mad librettist

Veteran
I wanted to throw a big screw you to Amazon on the Calibers. I don't mind paying for reasonable shipping. But don't expect me to pay the same per unit shipping charges when we all know they are going in the same box. $25 in shipping what would probably be shipped via ground for five hygrometers? :fsu:

For you guys using fridges to drop the humidity in your jars as outlined above, it does not have to be a frost-free fridge. Cold air holds less water at a given humidity. So if you put cool air (even at 65% humidity) into your jars, close them then let them come to room temperature, the air in the jar in essence becomes drier. This pulls some moisture out of your buds and into the jar air. Repeat as desired.

actually there will be a big difference with the frost free models. think your car with a/c vs your car with defrost.

with a frost free you don't want to leave the jar in there as long. it is VERY dry.

relative dryness is not something you want to ignore.

dgr

mad,
You are correct. I was speaking to the specific procedure I was reading in recent posts addressing high ambient humidity. My read on the procedure was: Put jar in fridge and let cool. Cap and pull. Not leaving the jars in there for days at a time.

rrog

Veteran
I have a frost free system, and the fridge set at extra dry. I leave 1/2 gal jars in the fridge for 15 min at a crack. Do that 2x and I'll drop 1 point Rh. I only do the fridge 2x a week to keep the drying process slow. So I'm dropping 1 % point a week until I'm below 60%

Last edited:

Hamburglar

I used this curing method for my first ever decent sized harvest (100g) and I have to say THANK YOU to all who have contributed, especially Simon.

Very easy and fool proof to say the least. My bud has turned out smoking soo smooth and having the perfect moisture level.

Will be using this method from here on out :D

jumanji2

Thank you for this great thread Simon!

Its been 2 days since I put them in the jars and also dried for 4 days at 70-75 degrees with 60-65% humidity. As soon as I jarred them in about 2 hours time they rose to 70%. I layed everything on a screen for about 8 hrs then back in the jar and its still 70% with the lids open they stay at 60-65% range.

My question is should I lay everything back out to dry some more (really don't want to over dry em though) or keep em in jars and everytime the humidity gets to 70, open the lid till it gets lower to the correct range? The lid would be open most of the day I'm thinking so how would that effect the process. Or leaving then half open?. I'm using 1/2 gal mason jars. I was also planning on grabbing some humidity packs to help keep it in range.

Latest posts

Latest posts