What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A perfect cure every time

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
When mine were still way too wet, I took them back out, put them in
a shallow open cardboard box. (Mailing boxes work great) and put them
in a room with my dehumidifier for a few hours.

If they're just a little too wet, just pop off the tops for a while.

rrog

Veteran
Kcar, thanks. I hate to disturb the bud, knowing that each time I do I'm messin with the trichomes. So if I could safely leave at low temp with lid off for a couple days, that would be great. If I have to dump them out I would, but would rather not.

I'm thinking this is all about mold risk.

I have the jar tops completely open right now sitting on top of my dehumidifier. I'll see how that changes over the next few hours. If I have to dump out the sticky mess, then I gotta do what I gotta do, I guess.

localhero

lol my post was burried on page six, anything you would add or subtract from these steps? also, what do you find is the difference in the stems snapping and almost snapping?

SuperConductor

Veteran
Just wanted to thank you for this thread. Latest harvest hasn't been in jars long but it's already the best I've had. Great method thanks, like others have said wish i'd known this years ago.

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
lol my post was burried on page six, anything you would add or subtract from these steps? also, what do you find is the difference in the stems snapping and almost snapping?

Obviously, every aspect of the drying process is influenced by the environment. A product hung in a room that's very dry, as an example, will retain moisture in the stems after the flower mass is almost completely dry. Waiting until the stems snap in this situation would be disastrous to curing.

I suggest jarring the flowers while their stems still have some flex for 2 reasons. It allows the grower to maintain precise control over the last drying stage, which I believe is responsible for producing smoother smoke. And, it minimizes the chances of product that's too dry to cure.

Great tip Simon. Lost 2 oz. of tops I was saving from my last harvest to mold. sucks for me. Hoping these will ensure it doesn't happen again.

...you can count on it.

Simon I just ordered one off of Amazon. What would be the best way to get the best readings on all 3 jars? Should I place it in one jar one night, another the second, night, etc?

Yes, provided the product isn't too wet. If you harvested the plants in all 3 jars at the same time and broken them down into manageable colas, dried them similarly, all 3 should read somewhat alike, as well. I like to get a gauge on the moisture content by physically feeling the product with my fingers and noting its RH. If the flowers in the other jars don't feel more wet - I'm taking about a very quick touch - you're good to go. If they do feel more wet, open the jar for a time.

Simon

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
I had my bud hanging for 5 days at 70%RH and 70F. slow air circulating. Looking good.

Did a final trim yesterday, put into 1/2 gal mason jars with the Caliber IIIs. Was surprised to see 84%RH at 54F. The jars are loose filled, and only 3/4 filled.

I left the jar tops 1/2 covered overnight, and RH is 83% this AM. Still 54F and dark.

It's winter and not too worried about mold, and have tried to bring RH down slowly.

1. Should I continue with the jar top off method and watch until RH is below 70%?

or

2. Should I dig out all that sticky bud (ugh) and place on a sheet to dry openly for a day?

I hate to disturb the bud at this point, but don't want to ruin it.

Thanks,

I'd take all the product out of the jars and dry it a little longer, at least until it registers ~70% after ~24 hours.

I fully understand your not wanting to disturb the bud. I feel the same way. A couple of things to keep in mind. If the flowers are still very moist - like in this situation - the kief will stick to the bud. Very little will be lost. Personally, I use screens for everything, including the latter stages of drying. Silk screening suppliers usually have ready-made screened frames ready to go at prices MUCH lower than Canna-specific manufactures.

Simon

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Just wanted to thank you for this thread. Latest harvest hasn't been in jars long but it's already the best I've had. Great method thanks, like others have said wish i'd known this years ago.

Having been away from Canna forums for a few years, I've gained a new appreciation for the concept. I think it's absolutely crucial for us to share relevant information, and to help each other as much as we can. If we won't do it, who will?

Simon

F

fully baked

Got my meters ordered and getting ready to cure up some C99 in a week....

Big thanks to Simon for the great thread

RicoT

Just picked one up. At $20 a pop I damn sure wasn't getting more than that. =/ Will be curing some nice buds of gfxbb and ppp soon, and will def chime in after.

BENJI

Between the Devil and the deep blue sea...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Simon this thread is has shown me the way for curing my smoke correctly, i got a couple of the small hygrometers of ebay and have followed this thread for a while now and i must say all these years ive been smoking weed that has been incorrectly dried/cured i notice the difference in the strength of the taste and the smell this is the perfect method for curing weed many thanks m8...:)

Dödsknark

Simon this thread is has shown me the way for curing my smoke correctly, i got a couple of the small hygrometers of ebay and have followed this thread for a while now and i must say all these years ive been smoking weed that has been incorrectly dried/cured i notice the difference in the strength of the taste and the smell this is the perfect method for curing weed many thanks m8...:)

What BENJI said.
thank%20you.gif

Dear Simon,

Well, in late January, one of my patient's friend was unsatisfied with his current care provider and was looking for a new one. He of course wanted awesome meds, but also was looking for someone who does what he says he'll do. He is over 60 years old and has smoked every day for 40 years. Unfortunately, I had no crop at that time, but told him in the past that I have been repeatedly told that I cure pot better than most people. I also told him that I also feel I harvest for max THC production.

I saw him last Saturday and brought him a 1/8th sample. I showed him on my computer, a pic I took with my microscope of the bud before I harvested of the trichomes (which was the first time he had heard that word). And I brought him his bud in this jar:

I gave him a copy of your very first post of this thread, and told him the jar hadn't been opened in 3 days and the RH had stayed constant. He told me that it was a sign of professionalism, and asked if he could buy the hygrometer. I said sure. Unfortunately, he said he wasn't ready to make me his care provider.

He just called me yesterday and told me that he bought meds from the 2 other people he was considering, and both of the buds were "way too dry." I am now meeting with him today to go to a notary with a change of care giver form and I have a new patient!! :jump:

My first "scientific experiment" also puts your method's results at least as good as my "guess." I just bought 4 more hygrometers.

So thanks yet again, and if you are ever in Northern Colorado, you are welcomed to a well deserved kick back.

-L

rrog

Veteran
What a great post. Good for you. It's always compelling to back up what you say with evidence. I'm very glad you have a new patient!

icough2getoff

It's been about a month since I've been testing this method out with 3 hygrometers. Definitely notice some improvement and consistency with how my buds smell and taste compared to some of the buds I used to over dry. Thanks for the info Simon, I like numbers. :yes:

THC123

Veteran
yeah simon , i promise you that once i have a new harvest i will try your method cuz it is real clear and measurable and fool proof.

I had given up on curing last year , but now i am gonna give it another shot.

I know curing can increase quality , i saw member Dubite's super skunk and it was real tasty and stinky after a few weeks of curing.

But curing can also ruin it so thats why i just dried and froze to have fresh herb5which also isn't bad :D)

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
Man... it's awesome to hear all this independent verification... I can't wait to harvest, I know for a fact I've over-dried all my previous grows. Thanks again! :respect:

Latest posts

Latest posts