What's new

A perfect cure every time

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Yeah I saw that too and it's caused by the opening where the air intake is, on some models it's a few small holes easily blocked in a jar of bud. For mine like that I just put it in the jar upside down so the holes are uncovered and don't touch anything.

I'm really not sure that's it. It's your harvest and you can obviously do what you want. Hope everything turns out to your satisfaction. Good luck.

Simon

BongDaddy

And if it's worthwhile you can always do this with new ones and then return the ones that don't work properly.

I already thought about that, but a) I already lost or threw away the receipt, and b) at about $2-3 each, it's almost not worth the trip in the first place.

It'll all be moot once my Calibers arrive anyway. Shipping is taking a bit longer than I'd hoped. I didn't realize until after I ordered them that even though they were on amazon.ca, they were coming from a US retailer (somewhere in Florida). If I had bothered to look closer before I ordered, I may have gone with a different US retailer that ships to Canada instead. I REALLY hope I don't get dinged at customs for them. Maybe going through amazon.ca will protect me from that at least. Fingers crossed!

de145

The only thing that will protect you from duty charges is if they were shipped via US postal service. If they used a courier you can bet your ass you will get a bill from the courier for processing the brokerage charges on your behalf that will make your jaw drop.

Few U.S. based sellers know that the USPS and Canada Post have reciprocal agreements so there are no brokerage charges and they think they are helping out by shipping via courier when in fact the couriers are making substantial profit by soaking us with outrageous brokerage fees.

Do a search and you'll see a *lot* of Canadians that are extremely unhappy with this scam.

In future make sure that any shipper will ship USPS, it's a bit slower but it will save you a lot of $$$

I originally wanted to buy Calibers as the original poster suggested but they were priced very high on Amazon, far too high, and it's easy enough to find consistent reading hygrometers almost anywhere these days. Maybe the price has come down but you can't beat a few bucks at almost any local store and I like to minimize my paper trail and not some day have to explain why I bought some specialty hygrometers but don't smoke cigars. :)

de145

I'm really not sure that's it. It's your harvest and you can obviously do what you want. Hope everything turns out to your satisfaction. Good luck.

Simon

Well it was in my case, "sugar" was blocking the holes and the results speak for themselves.

I really appreciate the idea you posted, it's been rock solid for me as a newbie it really took away a huge potential area for screwing up a lot of work.

jj7leaf

Thanks Simon

Thanks Simon

I wanted to say thanks, no change to the method but the meters are a great little tool if used properly.

Thanks

THC123

Veteran
Originally Posted by simon View Post
Before fully trusting the readings, I'd strongly suggest putting them into a jar with some product and a Caliber. If you're referring to the Accurites I'm thinking of, I tested them a while back. They read fairly well in a large space. Not so much in the jar. It's best to check.

using aany other meter is a big risk

i had ordeered 10 more calibers that just arrived yesterday

but for 3 weeks i had 8 jars and only one caliber

so i put the caliber + 7 other hygrometers in one jar for 48 hours

i figured i would just write down the RH difference on the other hygromteres so i could just add or deduct X % RH to get the same reading as the caliber

I did this for 3 weeks , when my calibers arrived and where put inside each jar , i was shocked to see that all my notes where unusable as this time the calibers gave yet another totally diffrent reading for excample on one generic hygrometer i noted +2%

so i just had to count +2 and that would give me the reading of the caliber or so I thought but when i put the caliber in the jar it was actually -3 or soemthing

So i just think other hygrometers have another way of determening the RH

i thought the jars where at 64-63% and then i saw one was at 67 one at 58% and luckily most at 60%

if I had relied on those other hygromteres for one more week , my harvest would have become too dry i love the weed at around 62-63% i am now just gonna leave the jars a 60% closed for a month

one more thing i noticed

the other hygrometers all gave different readings

the 10 calibers i have now all give me exaclty the same reading

BongDaddy

de145: Yes, they did ship via USPS. I received the Calibers a couple of days ago, and so far no surprising duty charges. After what you said I'm confident there won't be any.

So for anyone in Canada looking to buy Caliber IIIs, they're a lot cheaper online than any brick & mortar store. The cheapest price I could find that wasn't on a website was almost $30 each (Sheffield & Son Tobacconists in case you're wondering). So the amazon.ca link that I posted above is not a bad price. Or, like de145 said, if you can find a better price and the seller will ship via USPS, go for it. It'll take a little bit longer, but if you plan ahead that shouldn't be a problem.

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
yeah I'm definitely going to pick up a bunch of Calibers come harvest time. These other hygro's are good for general room conditions but not precision enough for curing.

de145

These other hygro's are good for general room conditions but not precision enough for curing.

That's simply not true in my experience and many others judging by all the other posts here. I'm starting to wonder if some people here don't own stock in the company that makes the Caliber ones? :)

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
That's simply not true in my experience and many others judging by all the other posts here. I'm starting to wonder if some people here don't own stock in the company that makes the Caliber ones? :)

?

I was referencing my use of $7 wal mart hygrometers, not the quality $20 calibers.

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
That's simply not true in my experience and many others judging by all the other posts here.

The Xikar/Hydroset are the only hygrometers that were introduced into the discussion as viable alternatives. They're in the same price range as the Calibers. I have not tested either, but definitely will. Then, there are the small Ebay digital hygrometers that read consistently, but not very accurately. I have tested them. They can be an alternative, however, if used with a known entity like the Caliber to gauge their readings. Is there something I'm missing?

I'm starting to wonder if some people here don't own stock in the company that makes the Caliber ones? :)
:comfort:

Simon

B

BlazingSaddles

Hi Simon,

Well ive read up to page 50 of this thread and all i can say is WOW.. Truly great read in this much neglected side of weed cultivation. I like it how your answers are very well explained and easy to follow.

I had already been curing before this and with reasonable success i might add but now armed with this RH method, i feel very confident that this next harvest will be the best cure yet.

As of last night ive cut, trimmed and hung the latest harvest and it will now airdry for approx 4-5days or until i feel its ready to start curing. Il share my results over the coming weeks with everyone here..

My only problem is that all the hygrometers where i live are like $40+ so i cant really buy lots of them which is a bit annoying. I live far far away from the rest of the world lol so even if i use ebay shit would take weeks to arrive. I think il go online later and try and track down some calibers and get them shipped over in time for the next harvest.

Just wanted to say thanks again Simon truly great thread and urve really helped alot of people im sure. +rep bigtime

take care everyone
blazingsaddles

gardenbug

Hygroset II is what I have. They are small and round, easily fits into a jar. They have a magnet so you can stick them to the inside of the jar lid if you want to. They can be calibrated using the $5 calibration kits. I don't have a caliber to compare them to, but I'm finding no problems using them. Since you can calibrate them yourself, you know they are set right.

de145

?

I was referencing my use of $7 wal mart hygrometers, not the quality $20 calibers.

Yeah no doubt there are some that are just unusable.

I've found that the cheap Accurite thermometer/hygrometer units from Home Depot that are a little higher in price than 7 dollars but much cheaper than the Calibers work find with a salt test in an enclosed container and are consistent. I would not be at all surprised if you tore open a caliber to find the same guts as some other department store brand. :)

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Yeah no doubt there are some that are just unusable.

I've found that the cheap Accurite thermometer/hygrometer units from Home Depot that are a little higher in price than 7 dollars but much cheaper than the Calibers work find with a salt test in an enclosed container and are consistent. I would not be at all surprised if you tore open a caliber to find the same guts as some other department store brand. :)

I had one of those Accurite combos before, and mine was off by 20 points. I would still opt for the Caliber III. Anytime Ive ever gone cheap on equipment, Ive always regretted it.

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
I had one of those Accurite combos before, and mine was off by 20 points. I would still opt for the Caliber III. Anytime Ive ever gone cheap on equipment, Ive always regretted it.

yep..

hence why I think the cheapos are good for general ideas of whole room conditions, but in a small enclosed jar with my precious lil flowers, I'll spring for accuracy/reliability.

THC123

Veteran
Hey Simon i am wat week 4 with my mirre nr 3 cure

the smell has been building up nicely

it was at 64% so i left the jar closed for a week

now i opened the jar to air it and before it had a smack in your face lemony dank smell(last week)

now this week , i really have to stick my nose in the jar to smell something

in the vape taste + effect where phenomenal the lemony thing was there for 3 bags(normally after 2 bags the taste bcomes less)

But when smoking it was harsh and not tasty

any idea why the smell is a lot less strong? will the smell come back?

I've had this happen several times too and I think it's just a natural occurance on some weed. Certain smells come from certain terps which can degrade over time. I've always found my hash is always fruitiest right after processing then slowly developes into a more hashy taste. Perhaps you and I are doing it wrong but thats my experience. ;)

B

BlazingSaddles

Lol 71 pages and some guys are still talking about which is the best hygrometer to use.. Geez talk about flogging a dead donkey!! Since the hygrometer debate is still pursuing heres my 2 cents on the topic... I personally use a couple of different hygrometers and they are all within about 2-3% of each other.. I dont really lose much sleep over this i just take the middle of the range and go with that.. Easy Peazy!

Heres a cure / drying update for y'all... Ive been airdrying for what will be 4 full days tonight and the outside of the bud is now dry.. although i know the insides of the bigger colas will still have a long way to go.

So i was thinking of removing everything from the stalks 2nite and then putting it all on silk screens. At the same time i will fill up a tester jar and start seeing where my RH% is at.. Im pretty sure its nowhere near ready for a prolonged cure yet so maybe a couple of days of juggling between lying the buds on screens to airdry a bit more and jarring them up and seeing where the RH is at..

Have i got the right idea going here guys / girls?? Or should i let it airdry a day or so more? Im slightly concerned of letting the buds overdry from airdrying and not being able to get them to cure. I guess the tester jar il prepare tonight will tell me all this..

:thank you:

BlazingSaddles

EDIT: Hi THC123 ive been following your progress as ive been reading this thread in its entirety for a few weeks now. Sorry to hear your dank lemon smell has gone for now however it sounds like your doing everything right so maybe its just the strain like what The Green Viking suggested above. Did the dank lemon smell disappear after keeping the jars closed for 1 week? It was just a thought but maybe burping more regularly even when the RH is in the desired range might help.. I was thinking that maybe we need to let the gases all evaporate from the jars on a more regular basis for maybe the first month until everything gets "properly" dry then after that start leaving the jars closed for longer periods. Just my 2 cents anyway would love to hear Simons opinion on this, and any others thoughts too..

Take care guys

Latest posts

Latest posts