What's new

a newb becomes coco nuts

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
I have noticed that the plants i topped the day before flower are not really growing. Five days later and they are still pissed. I hope that they just take longer to finish and that i did not screw the yield up too too much.

Sadly, I think you did mess it up a bit, never top when you can train, especially never top just before flowering .. IMO... as I said elsewhere recently, when you top a plant you remove all the growth hormones [auxins] and the plant has to make them again ... if you top it, they just flow evenly to the equally high parts of the plant. Likewise, train you plants to evenly fill the "holes" on the table, it is free yield.

I have decided to switch out the MH 400's for the 600 HPS. I am no longer worried about stretch as they have not stretched too much, and when they do i tie them down.
I had a late urge to try a scrog because the SS are so skinny on the branches. Then i did some research and decided i am a little late for that. Maybe next grow.

They should stretch less with MH as you say, probably look a bit nicer too.

I am using RO with 7.5 ml of calmag+ added. My PH is locked in at 6.0

I am fairly certain it is the proximity to the light because it is only on the leaves closest to the bulbs, and the rest of the plant is unaffected. I raised the lights a little and will see if that makes a difference.

Does anyone know if A 600W HPS can be to close to a canopy? IN terms of light intensity and NOT heat?

I have grown for 18 years in many different places without a drop of RO water, it is not needed it is a fad... IMO ... the last thing I would recommend to a newbie.

a 600HPS should be far enough not to burn, but not so far away as to give poor light and cause stretch. 18" to 2' away is fine, if it is too cose you often cause the tops to spaz out and go into a 3rd burst of flowering that finishes weeks after the rest of the crop.

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Sadly, I think you did mess it up a bit, never top when you can train, especially never top just before flowering .. IMO... as I said elsewhere recently, when you top a plant you remove all the growth hormones [auxins] and the plant has to make them again ... if you top it, they just flow evenly to the equally high parts of the plant. Likewise, train you plants to evenly fill the "holes" on the table, it is free yield.

They should stretch less with MH as you say, probably look a bit nicer too.

I have grown for 18 years in many different places without a drop of RO water, it is not needed it is a fad... IMO ... the last thing I would recommend to a newbie.

a 600HPS should be far enough not to burn, but not so far away as to give poor light and cause stretch. 18" to 2' away is fine, if it is too cose you often cause the tops to spaz out and go into a 3rd burst of flowering that finishes weeks after the rest of the crop.

Thanks for the response Chaos. I always appreciate learning from people with so many years experience. I new i should have not topped, and did anyway. Why? I wish i had a good answer to that one.

As far as the RO water, i believe that it is not necessary. I also understand the benefit in knowing exactly what nutrients I am feeding to the plants. A few months ago my H2O was at 450 ppm's. Now it is down to about 180. Starting off in COCo and using a more general fertilizer, i was more comfortable eliminating any unknowns. This next grow i will do 1/2 RO and 1/2 tap.

I felt like using the HPS was a better idea because of the extra wattage. 4x400=1600W MH whereas 4x600= 2400W HPS. I had em so i used them. In retrospect i would have left the MH's in the tent for a bit longer, or even kept them in and just added the HPS'.

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Well i was able to get some pics into my album. Helps to make them small. This is at day 23

This is the top of a PP
http://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=1107&pictureid=9770

The earliest Trichs in the garden are chillin on this plant.
http://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=1107&pictureid=9769

Not ANY room in the tent for me anymore
http://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=1107&pictureid=9768

These are the main reason there is no room. STRETCHY SHARK SHOCKS
http://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=1107&pictureid=9771

bambam

Damn you got it looking green off in your room! Looks wonderful. You think you will have a keeper or two from this bean run? I bet you do if the smoke holds up. Never had PPP or Shark shock. Let ol BamBam know bro! Keep it up looking good! Just to let you know i use tap water only. No 50/50 mix or what not. My tap has been 260ppm to 100ppm..Just check it when you use it and you'll be fine. Take that mixing time and do other stuff like SMOKE! LOL Just busting balls man in good fun. BAM

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Yeah bam i hear you on the tap water. The RO thing was OK for my first coco grow, but my tap has dropped 100 ppms since moving into theis house and its now around 180. So i'll be rolling with that next time. Maybe do a tray of RO and a tray of tap. Last year i had every problem possible occur so i am extra cautious. mites, hermies, bunk strains......school of hard knocks.

It seems to be paying off. At least the PP. Most of the Shocks are super stretchy and have just really begun to show buds after 3+ weeks of flower. Strange.
All good though, i ain't complaining.

I

IE2KS_KUSH

HEy nice man. I am on board and glad to have found your thread man! Much luck to ya, hope to learn a thing or two! Grow on.

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Hey IE2KS formerly 818. Nice to have you on board, and i am happy to share anything i know. Welcome.

Things are moving along nicely. The power plants, One in particular are really triching up. The Sharks are starting to show a bit more bud, but it looks to me like 3/4 of my plants are going to be going for like ten weeks or something. Strange as SS is said to be around 55-65 days. Not mine!

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Day 28 bloom

Day 28 bloom

tomorrow will be the start of week five and i will be increasing the hydroplex slightly. Otherwise i am happy with the way things are going. The drippers really free up time to tie down and work on the replacements in the veg closet. its fun to watch and wait and see which seeds if any will deliver the quality genes. Some are frosty at this time while others are not at all. A most enjoyable science experiment. :joint:

Attachments

• PP #11.jpg
    PP #11.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 15
  • pp #17.jpg
    pp #17.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 12
  • ss #25.jpg
    ss #25.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 13
  • wide out.jpg
    wide out.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 14

ChaosCatalunya

Veteran
would love to see them, but all i get is

ChaosCatalunya, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you just registered please allow up to 24hrs for account activation. Please do not email if you just registered.
You do not have the required amount of posts to access this feature.

ChaosCatalunya

Veteran

thanks, works for me now, as hyperlinks, not embedded in the page ....

would be nice to see your pics Bro' but i have the same message, when try to catch ya' pix.!!!????

i wait...

.WB.

I got the 'old gallery' link to work ... there is no new one [see above...] does this not open for you ?

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
After a day of research and 29 days of bloom i have determined that my Shark Shocks are most likely not Shark Shock, They seem rather a more heavy leaning Sativa, possible Haze hybrid. They look more like the pictures of Neville's haze I see on this site than anything similar to the few different SS phenos i have seen. They have really just begun to show any buds and they are on week five already. If i had to guess i would say they are not even half way to the finish line. The sharks are said to be between 55-70 days, and these are not.
This is the case of 18/20 females from two complete breeder packs. They were purchased from Dr. Chron...

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Day 31 flower

Day 31 flower

Was able to capture some nice shots today. The Power plants are coming along nicely. One of them is a lot larger than all the others at day 31. It also seems to be growing orange hairs. There are only a few and they are a real bright orange. They dont seem mature, but rather youngish.

The Sharks at this point look nothing like shark shock. Tell me what ya'll think.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=1607&pictureid=15148

http://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=1607&pictureid=15151

http://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=1607&pictureid=15153

http://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=1607&pictureid=15146

http://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=1607&pictureid=15152

Hey bud, your plants look great :D I haven't grown the shark, but I have grown the G13/sk x sk, and whatever skunk shanti uses definitely displays some sativa heavy phenos. How many different females do you have going? All 4 of my G13sk x sk girls went over 70 days in flower, and one of them was a 14 weeker. KILLER smoke :)

On paper, the lineage is quite sativa dom. Keep in mind that many plants/pheno's come in considerably faster when run from clone. Your plants do not look like haze, IMO. I think that if they were something like nevilles, you would JUST start to see more than 3-4 hairs per 'top'.

I don't wanna seem like an ass, but... If you click through the link in a new tab, then right-click on the pictures and select 'copy image location'. Now go back to the post you are constructing, and click the picture of a mountain and yellow sky. When it asks for your picture location, right-click and paste, then click ok. Seems complicated, but once you do, your pix are all sexy in the thread...

INREPLYAVALON'S SHARK SHOCKS. :^)
picture.php

INREPLYAVALON'S SHARK SHOCKS. :^)

Good luck with the grow :D

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Jersey word on your contribution. I appreciate you sharing your experience about the G13/SkxSK.
As far as them being Haze or not, i am not sure. I have heard from multiple Shark growers telling me that these are definitely not Shark Shock. I believe them. As far as Haze, they look similar. In the picture you properly reposted, the plants on the left are actually Power Plant. I will try and post a better image. as per your tutorial.

notShark%20shock%20still%20stretching.jpg

Inreply, you are close with the pix, lol :) First upload the pic to your desired gallery (like you have been doing). Then open 2 tabs, 1 for the 'post reply' and 1 with the gallery in it. In the gallery tab, open the pic that you want, then right click THAT pic and paste the location in the 'post reply' tab :D

I haven't grown anything with more than 50% haze in it, and I've had plants that still weren't sexed by 30 days after the light change. It is possible that there was a seed mixup if you got them in something other than a breeder pack, but drchr0n seems to be a pretty decent place to do biz, from what I've heard. I think that it;s more likely that you got Sk dom plants, and IME, Shanti's skunks are very sativa dom.

Are these seedplants or clones? How long did you veg for? Are you counting days from when you changed the lights, or when they showed sex?

Keep in mind that SS is sk x widow. Sk = mexican, afghan, colombian; Widow = brazillian sativa x S.indian hybrid. Lotsa sativa genetics in there.