What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A new start

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Thanks for the words Palindrome!

I hope that the skunk and cheese smell awful, hah!

Your welcome, yeah they are starting to overwhealm the carbon scrubber slightly. Im sure the feilds next door won't mind, a little sweet gym sock aroma

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Thanx Evergreen, we will see on the crop once it's in house. I don't think it will be much more then 0.5-0.6 gpw in the end, but I'll be all right with that.

It's gonna be good times on the boat no matter what, but due to the many issues in the begining.
I don't think we'll be smoking bud on the sail vacation, as I will only be done harvesting days before we leave.

We will come home to bud, thats dry, ready to jar and cure.

Update on the closet:

Im a idiot - LOL
So I forgot to flush the old hydroton im reusing, might been some of the reasons I had in the begining of the grow as well.
Gave them a good wash, but didn't leave them to soak and change water. I should have done that, to pull old nutrients out of the clay pepples.

So the morning after I planted the clones, the Ec was at 3.5 and the newly planted clones where not looking happy.
Drained the hydroton bed, the pot's are resting on and flushed them with rainwater. Changing the flush water every 8 hours give or take, till it didn't raise any longer.

Mixed up a batch of pH adjusted RO/Tap mix, that read out at 0.5 Ec 5.9 pH and they are now hopefully recovering in that solution.

I got the 12 clones under 5 different kind of LED lights, to see what strips will do what and how well.

8000K 24V 23 Watt 1 sqft. - 2 Cheese clones

6000K 24V 23 Watt 1 sqft. - 1 Cheese + 1 Sk#1

3000K 24V 23 Watt 1 sqft. - 2 Cheese clones

Mixed 24V 23 Watt 1 sqft. - 1 Cheese + 1 Sk#1

6500K 12V 40 Watt 2 sqft. - 3 Cheese + 1 Sk#1

Palindrome

King of Schwag
On to more happy things, in the flower room.

Changing the res, dialing down the Ec as they don't look like the higher Ec have improved anything on their over all health.

Gave them a short feed of pure RO water, to bring the ec down in the media as well.
Then drained my res and added 60L, of fresh flower feeding solution.
With a 1.2 Ec and 5.8 pH, and adding another 60 liters to night + epsom salt when the light go on.
It will be their 35th day, we hit 5 weeks and there is only just about 2 weeks til I start flushing my plants.
They will be running this full streangth feed, during week 6 and week 7.
I will delute the nutrient solution, to 50% with pH adjusted water.
During week 8 they should start yellowing up nicely, and be getting ready for harvest. The cheese might require 9 weeks, the SK#1 clone I got im told is done in 8 weeks.
Id hate to cut early, but id also hate to miss out on my vacation.
Thinking about just cutting the SK#1 at week 8, then leave the cheese on flush solution in week 9. Find a ride home, cut the cheese and then get back to the boat.

No stress

handyandy

IMO I haven't spend a whole lot on it

1 frame with 6 strips

6 strips = 9.50 $
2 Drivers = 12 $
+ heat sink 15 $

So 36.50 $ total + some wire and soldring, for a 46 Watt Strip light.
I did my best, to make them look like a million hahahaha

But it's all a test, if it don't preform as I want. I'll try something different, and I have had fun doing it.

I've might spend a 110 $ in total for the 3 lights, that could turn out to be absolute crap. That is totaly okay with me, and I'll be sure to post the results no matter if its good or bad :)

Im thinking about buying Samsung strips home for the other veg room, then do a side by side comparison of China copy vs and Samsung. Once I find the best of the cheap strips, to compare them with :D

For my amusement, if other can use it and learn from it - Cool!

WOW I am very impressed !!!!!!!!

Where did you source your components?

Palindrome

King of Schwag
WOW I am very impressed !!!!!!!!

Where did you source your components?

Thank you
Mainly Ebay - once I figure out what works and how well, I'll post a compleat post with what I got where.

The Heatsink, I made partial from some scrap alu profile I have laying around. The 15$ is for the alu bar's I mount the stips with, and there's a little extra hiden expence. Thermal tape, there will be minor things like that I didn't calculate into the price.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Good morning all you wonderful people

Finished my res change last night, it's and on going thing as I used RO water. It haven't been raining enough, that I have been able to collectmuch rainwater. The RO unit have a limit on how many liters a day it can run, it takes about 24 hours to fill my res.

As mentioned I have brought the Ec down again, so the ladys are being fed a 1.2 Ec solution at 5.6 pH

36 days into flower

Cheese

Skunk #1

Cheese n Skunk #1

I think it's a female

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Thanks

I only wish the LED closet, where looking the same.
Still recovering, from my fuck up with the old hydroton.

Im not back down at 0.5 Ec as id like to be, the pH is a little high but it should be okay at 6.3 pH.
They are one a 50/50 RO/Tap water mix, that have been pH adjusted. No extra nutes have been added at this point!

starke

I hear you on the old hydroton. I rinsed all my perlite and hydroton from the last round one quick time in a tote and drained on a screen. For some reason before potting up my current girls I got the idea to check the old media - probably because of what I thought was nute buildup issues at the end of the last grow - and lo and behold it was still 550ppm/.5. Rinsed until it tested around 100ppm which is my well water. Will always check from now on with my meter.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Yeah I got to pay better attention next time around, they sure got stuned with the fuck-up I made. They are still alive, thats at least somethine :D

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Yeah I am thinking about buying a 150W MH, to see if that might change things up.
But on the other side, the idea was to test the china LED's.

Recovery is slow, they aint dead at this point. On the other hand, it might just be me thats the main issue. :D

Palindrome

King of Schwag
The hydroton thing could happen to anybody. I bought a Mars Hydro led light, $97 and I love it. Does a great job. You would probably need a bigger one for your space but the larger ones are also cheap.
https://www.mars-hydro.com/led-grow-light/mars-reflector-led-grow-light

For only a little more then 100$, id be able to buy a 150W MH and a small 1ft cooltube. Pretty sure, id be able to cool that in my closet.

In case the LED is a total fail, that might be the option I go with the top of the closet. And then go with LED in the bottom section, to keep temps down in the clone area.

Not given up on the LED's, just looking into different options. And MH is awesome for Veg, I have used 400W MH's with great succes in the past. Then I wouldn't have to speculate, if it's me or the light thats shit for the plants. :biggrin:

EvergreenState

I have a big 1000w mh in my big grow room. Love the mh lights and always have. Frankly I'm tired of having to be concerned with the heat and how to deal with it.
I like the lower power usage and low heat of the leds. Thinking of converting to all leds. It's tough though when you are old school like me and are used to the great production of high powered lights. This little led panel however is making me a believer.
Saying all that, it will be very hard to give up this, my all time favorite bulb:
https://eyehortilux.com/grow-lights/dual-arc/
This thing produces some beautiful buds. I use it start to finish.