Cozy Amnesia

Specs
1230-some-odd watts CFL
3 sqft (max) growing space
S&P TP-125
Strain: White Rhino, purchased seeds from a friend so that's all I know
Nutes: Straight GH and tap water
Medium: Coco, water to waste

Some of you may remember me from way back when, well guess what - I still got the green thumb! This time around I got a White Rhyno and damn...she's sexy. Right now this is 4 weeks through flower, I'm thinking she'll need another 3 or 4 till harvest. Well, just see for yourself:

IMG_1123.jpg

IMG_1127.jpg

I gotta say, I'm pretty proud. Its all thanks to my magic micro cab, which (if you're one of the fortunate few to remember) was last used to grow a moster sativa that turned out to be a fucking tragedy, couldn't even smoke the weed. At first I was thinking "are CFLs that shity?" But I kept sanity and gave 'em another shot. He's a peak inside the cab:

IMG_1128.jpg

IMG_1129.jpg

This time around I've done a lot of LST, see:

IMG_1126.jpg

What do you guys think? Sorry if that crashes anyone's browser, lol.

tribe

Hey nice grow! Can't help but notice all that empty that empty space though, I'd of put another few plants in there haha Ahhh just seen, your scrogging it... Its gonna be a beast!

Can't help but notice the fan/filter setup you've got going on... was thinking of getting the same one myself, looks like a freakin' space rocket in there! I was wondering, is it loud? I assume with the one plant it totally gets rid of all smell... reckon it could handle twice the space full of smaller plants?

Respect,
tribe

p.s. just seen that your a 150w hps proud member, any reason your now using it on this grow? too low a ceiling?

Last edited:
C

Cozy Amnesia

didnt crash mine! beautifull plant bro! :yes:

is your cab stealth at all? what is it all closed up?

Hell yeah it is! Its metal cabinet salvaged from an old desk. The fan is a nice, quiet S&P axial with a muffler to reduce rushing air noise. DIY carbon scrubber too, but that's the weakest link in my chain. Fortunately though the plant is not stinky at all. Let me see if I can dig up some pics...

View of double layer door to keep out like leaks/noise:

Some pics from the build:

Pics of the fan and muffler box:

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
Wow cozy it's been awhile mate, I remember you doing your thing here in the Micro section. Good to see you back and growing and posting, current plants look dank.

Peace an Respects :) :)

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
Wow cozy it's been awhile mate, I remember you doing your thing here in the Micro section. Good to see you back and growing and posting, current plants look dank.

dude wear u been at all this time bro.
yah dude she looks great.
glad ur safe and back at growing agen.

C

Cozy Amnesia

Hey nice grow! Can't help but notice all that empty that empty space though, I'd of put another few plants in there haha Ahhh just seen, your scrogging it... Its gonna be a beast!

I was hoping to have two females, but I can't complain with just getting one. I started out with 5 seeds. One seed I lost (keep your insults to yourself, lol), one of the seeds didn't germinate, and one of them died shortly after germination (another gaffe on my part). So that left me with two healthy plants, and one of 'em got all macho in the magic cab, so I had to castrate him before he ruined my sensimilla.

Can't help but notice the fan/filter setup you've got going on... was thinking of getting the same one myself, looks like a freakin' space rocket in there! I was wondering, is it loud? I assume with the one plant it totally gets rid of all smell... reckon it could handle twice the space full of smaller plants?

The fan is a Solar and Palau TD-125 (5 inch), which is an "inline mixed flow fan" or in my own terms a "supped up axial" that pushes 133 cfm on the high setting. In retro spect, I should have got a 100 or 100x model because it's a 4 inch.

No, it's not really loud like a centrifuge is, but it still pushes an incredible amount of air that can't help but be heard. Unlike other axial fans, this is a large axial fan that is encased in a shroud that directs the air into a powerful, fast-moving stream - which can get kinda loud. I guess thats why S&P calles it "mixed flow," its a little like an axial and a little like a squirrel cage.

p.s. just seen that your a 150w hps proud member, any reason your now using it on this grow? too low a ceiling?

...that and I sold it to a friend when I was strapped for cash. :crazy: So maybe I don't meet the quantifying requirement, but I still feel like a member even if I'm a few watts short...

Thanks for the kind words bro

nice setup... I really like the exhaust. Look powerful. Is it loud???

Nah, not after a muffler and the insulation of the cab, it's hardly noticeable.

amazing case man! :yes:

thanks dude!

dude wear u been at all this time bro.
yah dude she looks great.
glad ur safe and back at growing agen.

You can't knock me down man :D.

tribe

The fan is a Solar and Palau TD-125 (5 inch), which is an "inline mixed flow fan" or in my own terms a "supped up axial" that pushes 133 cfm on the high setting. In retro spect, I should have got a 100 or 100x model because it's a 4 inch.

No, it's not really loud like a centrifuge is, but it still pushes an incredible amount of air that can't help but be heard. Unlike other axial fans, this is a large axial fan that is encased in a shroud that directs the air into a powerful, fast-moving stream - which can get kinda loud. I guess thats why S&P calles it "mixed flow," its a little like an axial and a little like a squirrel cage.

...that and I sold it to a friend when I was strapped for cash. :crazy: So maybe I don't meet the quantifying requirement, but I still feel like a member even if I'm a few watts short...

Nah, not after a muffler and the insulation of the cab, it's hardly noticeable.

Cheers for letting me know about that fan, really appreciate it, good to hear it can be tamed somewhat into something quiet (ish). That fan looks seriously badass in there dude. I wasn't sure whether to go with pc fans and diy filter or lose a little bit of space and go for one of those fans you have, and man I'm sold, its way too cool not to get! I can't believe the filters diy either, looks pro dude! I'm def getting this one now, looks like it will last any upgrade or change of setup, will try and add a muffler like you did too. Just wondering, why would you of preferred the 4" in hindsight?

Also, great idea with the foam insulation around the whole cab, must be great for keeping noise at bay. Do you not have any probs with it melting by the lights, or do you have mylar on top there?

That sucks to hear about the other seeds dude, but at least you got one beauty out of them, and's she's got lots of space to spread out. Looks like a monster already, you been feeding her 1/4 pounders? :D Can't wait to see it fully budded, bet you can't either :rasta:

Good luck with the grow bro

tribe

C

Cozy Amnesia

Woa! She's looking awesome! Just getting more and more trichomes (sp?). Pictures soon.

I'm so happy with the grow that I'm going to re-veg her even though I told myself this would be my last grow. It's just too easy!

Cheers for letting me know about that fan, really appreciate it, good to hear it can be tamed somewhat into something quiet (ish). That fan looks seriously badass in there dude. I wasn't sure whether to go with pc fans and diy filter or lose a little bit of space and go for one of those fans you have, and man I'm sold, its way too cool not to get! I can't believe the filters diy either, looks pro dude! I'm def getting this one now, looks like it will last any upgrade or change of setup, will try and add a muffler like you did too. Just wondering, why would you of preferred the 4" in hindsight?

Also, great idea with the foam insulation around the whole cab, must be great for keeping noise at bay. Do you not have any probs with it melting by the lights, or do you have mylar on top there?

That sucks to hear about the other seeds dude, but at least you got one beauty out of them, and's she's got lots of space to spread out. Looks like a monster already, you been feeding her 1/4 pounders? :D Can't wait to see it fully budded, bet you can't either :rasta:

Good luck with the grow bro

tribe

Thanks for the compliments man!

More about the fan: I like it and it was a good purchase, and I would recommend it. Though I have heard that the Panasonic Whisper duct fan is quieter. I payed $100 including s+h. The reason I which I went the a smaller 4" is because it fits more ducting supplies from the hardware store. Even if I wanted a manufactured carbon filter, no one makes one that fits a 5 inch!

I'm not sure what you mean about the foam insulation, there is no foam other than on the inside of the muffler. The thing on the right is the muffler and the thing on the left is the intake vent. The inner door is that reflective bubble-board material, like whats used for car windshield reflectors. And there's been no problems at all from the heiat from the bulbs. If I had a 150w HPS, on the other hand, I would be a little more concerned but still I don't think it would be an issue. I have a red desk fan blowing on the bulbs currently and it's doing a great job. Temps are at 80*F right now, never above 85*F. I also did a great job managing the height, there's still two or three inches i could lower the plant.

whats the ambient temperature outside the cab? do those cfls put out that much heat or is there just a fairly high starting temperature?

C

Cozy Amnesia

Thanks guys. Does anybody know how long White Rhino takes to flower?

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
Latest pics are looking great cozy, top notch work mate. :biggrin:

Peace :)