What's new

A is 4 PiMp's n00b cabinet grow

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Sounds like good bloom nutes. And half strength sounds just fine. Didn't realize you were getting yellow fans. To a point this is to be expected, so long as it isn't severe. I'm generalizing and you'll have to be the judge.

I'll back off the plain water suggestion if you're leaning towards more feeding. Half strength bloom nutes shouldn't give you an N toxicity unless you used high N guano or substitute in veg.

Phosphorus will leach from your mix easier than nitrogen and potassium. If you're concerned the yellowing is premature, you could alternate feeding/ plain water. This would keep your P level a bit higher than plain water while keeping N and K from building up so much.

I usually feed every watering but I measure the runoff. Once the runoff is stronger than what I'm feeding I'll go plain water once and then back to feeding. This also helps to keep N in check.

EDIT - Your early yellowing could have been due to Magnesium deficiency. This can happen when pH and or Mg level is too low. I bet your bloom nutes have enough Mg for most strains as long as your pH is in range. Some Mg hog strains might need a jolt of CalMag or Epsom salts. If you use mineral lime to buffer your mix, Dolomitic lime has Mg. Calcitic lime only has calcium.

You'll know the difference between N and Mg defs by looking at the affected leaves. N def is usually more even, fading to yellow and tan or whitish before dropping. Mg def starts fading at the tips of the petioles. Mg def also shows yellowing tissue between green leaf veins. Advanced Mg def begins to burn the leaf tips, not unlike too much feeding. It's usually a sign the pH could edge up a little.

But usually after the third or fourth week in flower, Mg absorption subsides and slightly hotter pH no longer shows visible signs of deficiency. That's probably where you are now. IME, the yellowing wasn't N but you'll have to make that call. Best wishes.

Last edited:
You are doing a great job for your first grow sir. Ladies look healthy as mentioned above. I would like to make two suggestions.
Get 32oz cups for your early veg.
and I echo the suggestion to get a power strip.

PD

I usually feed every watering but I measure the runoff. Once the runoff is stronger than what I'm feeding I'll go plain water once and then back to feeding. This also helps to keep N in check.

What do you mean by a "stronger" ph? And the yellowing stopped after I started doing that ratio I was telling you about with the plain water and flower nutes

You are doing a great job for your first grow sir. Ladies look healthy as mentioned above. I would like to make two suggestions.
Get 32oz cups for your early veg.
and I echo the suggestion to get a power strip.

PD

On the subject of the power strip since that really is a good idea i've just been lazy but heres the deal:

this is a very stupid ultra noob question but would velcro be able to support the weight of a powerstrip with 2 lights plugged in? If not velcro then would any sort of glue/adhesive be able to hold the weight?

I'm trying not to spend any money on this project (its kind of a rule I set for this grow and to add a lil bit more of a challenge as its my first) and i've got an assload of velcro laying around, I think it could hold the weight of a small, bar-like powerstrip like this
0068602473304_100X100.jpg

and with the lights im using i dont think it will weigh too much and im also thinking about trying this tomorrow because the inside of the cabinet has holes to set up shelves in.

I kept the little hangars for the shelves and im thinking about lining the backside of the powerstrips with velcro or whatever ultra crazy strong glue i can find around the house and then put the hangers under each end of the strip as extra support to hold it up so the adhesive on the powerstrip wont have to work so hard.

If I have to end up hammering and banging some nails in to hold something then ill do it, i guess im just being difficult

I was also going to do the diy coke/beer can reflector mod as well and see if I notice any improvement, if the cab starts getting a few degrees higher ima just take them off, the highest it usually gets in there is 86-87 with low to mid 40% RH, and thats with my window closed all day, the lowest is 72-74 , with a low 40% RH, will I be ok?

Last edited:

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
Most powerstrips have keyhole slots cut in the back for hanging either horizontally or vertically. You just need to put the right size screws at the right location to mount one.
I personally wouldn't rely on velcro or double sided tape for mounting electrical work or light fixtures. That's just asking for trouble.

hazydreams

I was also going to do the diy coke/beer can reflector mod as well and see if I notice any improvement, if the cab starts getting a few degrees higher ima just take them off, the highest it usually gets in there is 86-87 with low to mid 40% RH, and thats with my window closed all day, the lowest is 72-74 , with a low 40% RH, will I be ok?
your going to need a better a fan to cool the cab. the temps are at the outer edge of where you want to be. your shooting for 75* constant with the light on give or take a few.

Most powerstrips have keyhole slots cut in the back for hanging either horizontally or vertically. You just need to put the right size screws at the right location to mount one.
I personally wouldn't rely on velcro or double sided tape for mounting electrical work or light fixtures. That's just asking for trouble.

Yeah, makes sense lol I guess i'll just have to wait for the lights to come on in about 3 more hours then get started on that

So I got kinda drunk last night and I was a little to sketchy about the idea of messing with the lights and having one drop on one of the ladies, so I just took a bunch of ULTRA sick closeup pics thru a 30X loupe I found the other day.

Random budsites all over the sativa, you can see the amber hairs I was talking about ALOT better now
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Heres an indica closeup
picture.php

I got the powerstrips and everything I just gotta wait for the lights to come on this afternoon, and this time I wont go out and get drunk! Gotta work in the morning lol

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
you asked how much longer you got based on the pictures?
well they are really just starting what are you about 2-3 weeks since they showed flowers? you got a minimum 8 weeks left. longer for the sativa, up to 16 weeks.

they started showing around 1.5-2 weeks after the switch, today is day 51 so its been around 5 weeks since they showed the hairs

Nice pics.

Thanks! I got tired of taking crap cell phone pics so I went around the house for a few hours looking for a camera, found some random 7 megapixel one, then a 30X loupe right after that lol

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
maybe take some wider shots? the pics you show look like a plant not even 3 weeks into flower. no visible trichs and all white new pistils and tiny flowers, might just be the angle and the lighting take another picture from further away so we can see more than the top of one budsite.

Yeah I wasnt sure if it was something I was doing wrong like not holding the loupe close enough or the plant isnt far along enough to see each individual crystal

So I re-hung the lights last night and I started to think "if i did a little bit more defoliation on the big sativa and decided to snip the lower popcorn buds as well and left the tops would it be worth it?"

Not all of the hairs coming out of the calyxes are turning amber/red, some of the ones towards the top are still white, so i'm guessing a few more weeks to possibly another month for the sativa?

Im guessing maybe the indica should be ready by the end of this month as its almost covered from head to toe in red hairs coming from the calyx?

Chomp

A is 4 PIMp...the color of the hairs does not indicate how ripe the plant is....take your 30x jeweler's loupe and look at the trichomes (crystals) when they are mostly all cloudy with a good amount of amber color then they are ready...some people like a different mix of trichome colors as it affects potency.

Your plants are a loooong way from being ripe enough to harvest....at least 4-6 weeks on the indica and much much longer on the sativa

If you don't know what I mean by trichome please do yourself a huge favor and do a little searching on this site and all will become clear brother....

:rasta:Chomp

Yeah, the hairs are (in this case) just an indicator of when to start checking your trichs. They are not used to determine ripeness.
You definitely have at least 4-6 weeks left before they are ready, but we are here to help you along if you allow us to.

PD

A is 4 PIMp...the color of the hairs does not indicate how ripe the plant is....take your 30x jeweler's loupe and look at the trichomes (crystals) when they are mostly all cloudy with a good amount of amber color then they are ready...some people like a different mix of trichome colors as it affects potency.

Your plants are a loooong way from being ripe enough to harvest....at least 4-6 weeks on the indica and much much longer on the sativa

If you don't know what I mean by trichome please do yourself a huge favor and do a little searching on this site and all will become clear brother....

Lol I know what a trichome is, i guess the girls really are a long way from being CLOSE to harvest time because everytime I look through the loupe I see what would look like the top pic, but without the little "bulb" on the top of it except in some spots (those spots with the bulb on top look almost like diamonds from a distance), when the lights come on in about an hour i'll try to snap a pic of it.

picture.php

Like I said in the other post about not being to see the crystals, maybe they aren't fully mature or close to being so which is why they don't all have the "bulb" look?

Chomp

I didn't mean to insult you, but when someone asks about the hairs and harvesting it usually means they don't have a clue about trichomes....:good:

Yeah your plants' trichomes haven't developed as of yet because they haven't been flowering long enough...maybe in a week or two you will see more well developed trichomes...much longer than that until harvest time though...

Good Luck,

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
back in the old days before trichomes we would harvest by the pistil color. after so long in flower the plant stops making so many new pistils. when its not really making any more pistils few here and there you should be able to look at the plant and see what % of pistils are fully "dried" not really all the way dry but they curl up and wrap the bud a certain way. but anyway you see how many are fully dried, almost dried, and still white. based on that you would harvest. plant is usually ready when 70% are medium to fully dry. based on your pistils with the ones on top just starting to turn you got at least as long left in flower as you have been already. so if you're at 6 weeks since first pistils and they're just now turning then you got like 6 more weeks before they're ripe.

I didn't mean to insult you, but when someone asks about the hairs and harvesting it usually means they don't have a clue about trichomes....:good:

Yeah your plants' trichomes haven't developed as of yet because they haven't been flowering long enough...maybe in a week or two you will see more well developed trichomes...much longer than that until harvest time though...

Good Luck,

Its ok i've only seen pics of trichs just like what I posted earlier (and in loads of other pics), i've never seen REALLY REALLY young trichomes (without the bulb), and i've never seen any pics posted up on this site.

I guess I shouldn't get ahead of myself and its a VERY good thing i didn't do the ultra noob shit and chop them already :yoinks:

I can't seem to get a good enough pic of the budsite I was talking about earlier, where it has all the undeveloped crystals, then the lone clear sparkly one, my hands shake too damn much

The indica is starting to pack on some weight today! I'm such an impatient person its amazing that I haven't snipped off a small sample yet, just plucked leaves.

I was thinking about plucking all of the leaves off the sativa and just leaving the colas, good idea?

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
if you're running an indica plant you're gonna want somewhere between 55-70 days of 12/12 time. Just count it out on a calendar or something and then start checking your trics on a daily basis after day 55-60 or so.

Latest posts

Latest posts