What's new

a hydro shop almost killed me with selling me a uset bulb.

N

newtothiscoco

lol the IMPORTANT part of my post was the note. BTW, old bulbs don't usually implode, they burn out. You might rethink this blame thing and start checking the tabs and bulbs. I am VERY glad you are ok. But blaming and not really knowing the cause is a good way to go down the same path again :bandit:

i just got in contact with the company that makes the bulbs and they have allot to tell man. and ye good info in the qnote. i learned from this and i will up the game and invest in some sort of fire system :tiphat:

FlaDankster

Veteran
dude wtf ? are you kidding me ?

so you are telling me that its normal that its all grey and blackish in the ends from new. and bulbs just eksplode and melt down after it not even had ben running 12 hours ?

did you read all in the top of the thread =?

i SAID THE HYDROSHOP ALMOST KILLED ME.
SO YOU SAY ITS OK TO SELL HELL A OLD BULBS as new bulbs ?
or are you just trying to be a tuff guy ? and act all kinda smart ass in the thread ? this is serious dude. ( if we cant trust our hydro shops who the hell are we gona trust ) i did never say that they was trying to kill me . i said that they almost killed me ! :ying:

so you are telling me that i can just go away and learn from what happen ? -_-"

dude just leave the thread pleas i dont even think that you did read all what i did ride did you ?:ying:

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

[YOUTUBEIF][/YOUTUBEIF]
http://youtu.be/MMzd40i8TfA

pinkus

Veteran
Yep...All is well AND you did learn a life saving trick ;) Have a great 4rth and be careful!

You too fladank :p

N

newtothiscoco

JEEZUS!!!yes!!! learn from this! don't just blame someone else.

Did you check the bulb lit after you installed it? If the answer is no, this is one place to learn. Being suspect of every bulb won't fix user error, it WILL make you paranoid and take shit loads of time worrying.
yes i did and it looked just fine
i was sitting up for 4 hours after the replacement and nothing was wrong at that time, i will get paranoid with new bulbs now i dont think i will sleep the first week it runs.
and after it happend i poped the old bulb in again and i am running with the old bulb no problem there, its just the lumen out put, that was the only reason for me to change the bulb. :ying:

N

newtothiscoco

it was just to throw the words out there to help other new growers before they go buy a hid set up. make sure that you have a guy with you that knows whats up with all the grow parts -.-

pinkus

Veteran
sorry man, tried to take that down before you saw it. I do that sometimes :p

crazy, I would have thought it would be history as soon as the one bulb started arcing... Mine was a lump of ceramics, metal and glass in about 10 seconds :/ It didn't burn through to the plants though :)

glad you are being careful.

FlaDankster

Veteran
Lumens......mean.....nothing......please......keep......learning......thank.....you.....and......have.....a.....SAFE.......4th..........of........July.

Are you going to enjoy the explosives tonight?<that was a cheesy jab,my apologies.

Seriously though dude......don't get upset with me......shit happens in life......unfortunately you had some dangerous shit go down.Please refrain from putting any bulbs that have discoloration into your hood.Bulbs....my 2 cents.....buy them in person where you can remove it from the box to check it out in the store.

Time to get down on some dry sift......i'd let ya puff if i could.Peace and grow safe.

pinkus

Veteran
now i get to be paranoid :p I'm worried about your socket post implosion, I'd check it out and make sure there isn't any stray metal bits. I'm not kidding either :/ check that shit :)

growshopfrank

Veteran
lot of bullshit here
used lamps do not catch fire when they reach the end of their life cycle
with HPS lamps dark ends on the arc tube usually don't mean shit most look that way from new
the type of failure that was described would lead me to believe that the lamp was not the correct one for the ballast that was used if indeed it happened at all
20+ years selling many thousands of HID lamps and fixtures and Ive NEVER had any customer complaining about a lamp catching fire

cool story tho bro...

FlaDankster

Veteran
with HPS lamps dark ends on the arc tube usually don't mean shit most look that way from new

I myself have never gotton a bulb new that had discoloration......but i don't have 20 yrs ex either.But i have gone through around 18-20 of them.At the most there may be a few speckles(match head sized)here and there on the arc itself.

Why do they have this even as a new product?Testing?

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
that sucks, glad you caught it before disaster struck.

i don't think the cause was an old bulb, like someone said before old bulbs usually don't fire anymore, they burn out. they don't burst into flames. are you sure you just weren't running too much power through the bulb? aka a 400w bulb on a 600w ballast?

growshopfrank

Veteran
I myself have never gotton a bulb new that had discoloration......but i don't have 20 yrs ex either.But i have gone through around 18-20 of them.At the most there may be a few speckles(match head sized)here and there on the arc itself.

Why do they have this even as a new product?Testing?

next time that you are in a gro shop ask to see a philips son argo 430
lamp they look second hand even from a sealed case FWIW

N

newtothiscoco

lot of bullshit here
the type of failure that was described would lead me to believe that the lamp was not the correct one for the ballast that was used if indeed it happened at all
20+ years selling many thousands of HID lamps and fixtures and Ive NEVER had any customer complaining about a lamp catching fire

cool story tho bro...

dude it burned for over 9 hours if it was not correct it would have blow sooner then it did and its a 400watt bulb the same as i had in before . and now im running the old bulb again and no problem.
you call it bs ?
if you had try what i just did try last night. you would sh*t in your panties boy.

say what you want boy but im just telling you how it went down-.-"

N

newtothiscoco

that sucks, glad you caught it before disaster struck.

i don't think the cause was an old bulb, like someone said before old bulbs usually don't fire anymore, they burn out. they don't burst into flames. are you sure you just weren't running too much power through the bulb? aka a 400w bulb on a 600w ballast?

its a 400watt ballast yes and it was the same bulb that the old one i had . they was the same,
do you know how fast a 400watter would last in a 600watt ballast
i am just guessing here but not even close to 9 hours. and the ballast says 400watt the old bulb that i had in says 400watt the "new" say 400watt.

im just glad i waked that night, i dont know if i would have ben able to sit here if not :ying:

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lot of bullshit here

cool story tho bro...

Frank nailed it. EYE includes a blurb sheet with their industrial lamps that the blackening is normal - it is from their testing prior to shipment. I've changed out literally thousands of 400w HPS lamps, they were the standard light in the industrial plant that I worked in for 20+ years. It is exceedingly rare for an HPS lamp to blow up, I've never seen one that caught on fire. This includes hard-to-reach lamps that went years past when they should have been changed out - they just cycle repeatedly.

N

newtothiscoco

Frank nailed it. EYE includes a blurb sheet with their industrial lamps that the blackening is normal - it is from their testing prior to shipment. I've changed out literally thousands of 400w HPS lamps, they were the standard light in the industrial plant that I worked in for 20+ years. It is exceedingly rare for an HPS lamp to blow up, I've never seen one that caught on fire. This includes hard-to-reach lamps that went years past when they should have been changed out - they just cycle repeatedly.

i rly dont know what you want me to say dude ?
im just telling what went down the other night :tiphat:

and im just happy that i woke up that night.

but im pissed that the hydroshop dont even respond to my msg i send to them.
and it makes me more suspicious:ying:

Gry

Veteran
Sorry for your misfortune, glad no one was hurt. Very interesting to hear the input of those who have extensive experience with them.

Why won't you tell us the name of the store that scammed you and almost burned your

place down? Why are you protecting the business that did you a gross injustice?

N

newtothiscoco

Why won't you tell us the name of the store that scammed you and almost burned your

place down? Why are you protecting the business that did you a gross injustice?

dude im not that kinda guy that just throw all kinda shiit out about ppl .. the owner of the shop contacted me today and they fired a guy at the shop this was not the first time a customer got old shiit and he was switching it out with hes own stuff from hes home. what im trying to tell you is he was stealing from the shop and just put the old shiit in the box where the new was in and put it back in the shelf. and yeah i trust the guys word about he did something about and he shipped a new bulb to me and he promised it was brand new. :ying::ying:

Snow Crash

Veteran
dude wtf ? are you kidding me ?

so you are telling me that its normal that its all grey and blackish in the ends from new. and bulbs just eksplode and melt down after it not even had ben running 12 hours ?

did you read all in the top of the thread =?

i SAID THE HYDROSHOP ALMOST KILLED ME.
SO YOU SAY ITS OK TO SELL HELL A OLD BULBS as new bulbs ?
or are you just trying to be a tuff guy ? and act all kinda smart ass in the thread ? this is serious dude. ( if we cant trust our hydro shops who the hell are we gona trust ) i did never say that they was trying to kill me . i said that they almost killed me ! :ying:

so you are telling me that i can just go away and learn from what happen ? -_-"

dude just leave the thread pleas i dont even think that you did read all what i did ride did you ?:ying:

I understand that you are upset, but seriously man, you need to cool your jets.

Bulbs may come with some discoloration in the tubes. This is normal and occurs during testing of the bulbs before they leave the factory.

Old bulbs do not melt, or explode, or any of that. You received a defective bulb, not an old one. Try contacting the manufacturer of the bulb and asking them directly. Blaming the retailer for the fault of shoddy manufacturing isn't going to solve your issues.

Additionally, quality modern ballasts have failure detection. You could circumvent or prevent these kind of issues by running something like a Galaxy Grow Amp or Digital Logic, a Solis Tek, a Quantum, a Digilume, or I'm sure several other brands. I'm astonished at how few people employ a flame defender and how many use bargain brand electrical products with very high expectations on the performance.

You said the Hydroshop almost killed you, I think we all read that, but you are wrong on this matter and being unnecessarily stubborn about your direction of the blame. It is not okay to sell old bulbs as new bulbs - but I am about 99.99999% sure that's not what happened here.

If it did happen it certainly doesn't make sense for them to do it on purpose (which is your implication). This industry is all about word of mouth and the "bro deal." Start burning people with bad product and the company will not last, just look at CAP/R&M. My guess is that if you tried contacting the retailer on July 4th they weren't in the office which is why you didn't get a reply. Its kind of a holiday. And the weekend following it? Just because the online store is always open doesn't mean they have some one on the clock 24-7.

Would you like to name the brand of bulb, your ballast and timer/light controller, and the retailer? It may help other people avoid having the same bad time rather than just a sort of randomly condemning (from what I can tell) all hydroponics retailers.

Latest posts

Latest posts