What's new

A guestion about a soil mixture...

I am starting a new grow, Nirvana's White Rhino!!!
I will do a grow diary for it also...
So, to the guestion...
I have added Peat Moss that has Perlite in it and I have added vermiculite myself...
They all should be like 1/3 of each 3 components... Peat, Perlite and Vermiculite...
So thats what I did...
But as I was adding water to the mixture... I saw NOTHING come out of the bottom... So I am very conserned if I am doing everything right, because from my previous grow I knew that if anything didnt come out the bottom, the plants will like...suffocate or some shit, and dry out in like 10 days...Right now I have put my cab ventilators to the max and am trying to see when it will dry out...

Umm...long text...yeah...

IS THE MIXTURE with 1/3 Peat Moss, 1/3 Perlite and 1/3 Vermiculite ALL RIGHT, even though the water didnt drip off from the bottom of the pot?

Thanks in advance.

Perhaps you didnt put enough in to drain?

Id personally use 30-50 percent perlite but thats me. Make sure you add in some lime also. There may not be any in the peat...Wich is very acidic.

Aright...Guess we'll have to see... :p
Err... ''Make sure you add in some lime also.''
Ive read many people putting ''DOLOMITE LIME'' into their mixes... What is it exactly? Regular LIME from a grocery store or wtf xD
How do I put it in the soil and where to get it, why is it needed? (What does it enhance, do)?

It helps to keep ph stable, and in the proper range. if ph of soil is off, plants will be messed up.

It can be found at almost any garden store. I think most lowes even carrys some. Mized at 1-2 tablespoons per gallon of soil.

Its will also supply cal/mag. But its main purpose is to regulate ph. Its important stuff when growing in peat moss.

bakelite

IS THE MIXTURE with 1/3 Peat Moss, 1/3 Perlite and 1/3 Vermiculite ALL RIGHT, even though the water didnt drip off from the bottom of the pot?

Thanks in advance.

If your mixture was 1/3 perlite and 1/3 vermiculite the water should have gone through fairly quick. That is more perlite/vermiculite than most people add. Even just the 1/3 vermiculite by itself should be enough for decent drainage. Are you sure the soil was saturated? How heavy do the pots feel? Do they feel like they are water logged (i.e. do they feel heavy?) Lifting pots is and excellent way to check how dry they are (BOGs method).

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
I dunno... too much peat and too much vermiculite put together imo. both of these hold a lot of water, peat more than vermiculite... I would not even use peat if you already had something like vermiculite, which is a lot more pH friendly as well and environmentally sound... I would replace peat with worm castings for sure. 30% worm castings, 30% perlite 40% vermiculite.

but let your mix rest now that you have made it, let it rest and drain and next time you water it, do it lightly.

good luck

peace

If your mixture was 1/3 perlite and 1/3 vermiculite the water should have gone through fairly quick. That is more perlite/vermiculite than most people add. Even just the 1/3 vermiculite by itself should be enough for decent drainage. Are you sure the soil was saturated? How heavy do the pots feel? Do they feel like they are water logged (i.e. do they feel heavy?) Lifting pots is and excellent way to check how dry they are (BOGs method).

Yeah, they seem heavy, dunno what a water log is but kinda something like that i believe yeah xD !

I dunno... too much peat and too much vermiculite put together imo. both of these hold a lot of water, peat more than vermiculite... I would not even use peat if you already had something like vermiculite, which is a lot more pH friendly as well and environmentally sound... I would replace peat with worm castings for sure. 30% worm castings, 30% perlite 40% vermiculite.

but let your mix rest now that you have made it, let it rest and drain and next time you water it, do it lightly.

good luck

peace

Can a cannabis plant really grow in just worms, those perlite cubes and vermiculite??? :O:sasmokin:

PazVerdeRadical

Veteran
not worms, but worm castings, it looks like ground up coffee, I dunno about pertile cubes, I'm talking about pertile that is some kind of sand... I'd use sand instead of pertile as well anyway... vermiculite, sand and worm castings, and the additional water-fed nute every now and then and you are set. but sand is heavier than perlite, so one uses a lot less. gives drainage to the vermiculite.

Hank Hemp

Veteran
My Mix

My Mix

I use 50% pro-mix, 25% EWC, 25% perlite, and fert organically. Works well and is simple. :2cents: :joint:

My mix is pro mix bx, and some fox farms big and chunky perlite added. Sometimes I dont add the perlite.

Works and drains great. Sometimes drys out a bit quicker than I like.

OK, Ive done a transplant to the seedlings...Putting only Peat Moss with its little content of perlite in the pot... Poured 250 - 400 ML of water in it, NOTHING COMES OUT OF THE BOTTOM... I have no idea if that is maybe normal or what, because from my last grow, the water always drained out of the holes at the bottom and if it did not... I overwatered or some shit like that...

Anyway, Im gonna tell you guys what Im dealing with here...
About the dirt I have bought from a gardening store...

Ill try to translate into english:

This dirt is an optimized and balanced solution for all plant growth, containing a mixture of peat moss and parts of perlite.

ASB-GREENWORLD Flower Dirt With Perlite And First 2 Weeks Of Nutrition, After That, Use Fertlizer.

The Dirt stays fluffy and nutritive, the plant roots develope quickly and stay healthy.

Added white perlite mineral trace elements ( or such particles or something, lol xD )
will ensure good airration and good water capacity.

The Dirt has been fertilized previously and contains nutrients usable for the plants for a few weeks after transplanting.

pH (CaCl2) 5,0 - 6,5 !

I, myself... am guestioning the PH of this dirt...since Ive read and heard from various places that weed grows best in the range of 5.8 - 6.2 PH and hydroponically even lower...

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

What are you really scared of man?

What size container are you watering? New soil can hold lots of water. 5 gallons can easily suck up 2-3 gallons the first time.

As long as there are holes in the bottom you should be fine. Any extra will drain out.

As for overwatering...You dont do this by giving to much water at once. The soil will only hold so much.

Overwatering comes from watering too often...Not letting the soil dry between waterings. If that makes sence.

PazVerdeRadical

Veteran
man, understand this, you won't be able to grow in straight-up peat-moss and perlite. never seen such a thing... the peat-moss itself is too acidic to begin with, and it holds a lot more water than vermiculite does.

I really don't know why peat-moss is so popular... I have like a personal thing against peat-moss, you must forgive me.

there are so many better organic options like coco-coir, seed husks (like rice husks), clean river sand, vermiculite, various types of compost, worm-castings.

OK, Ive done a transplant to the seedlings...P[B]utting only Peat Moss with its little content of perlite in the pot... [/B]Poured 250 - 400 ML of water in it, NOTHING COMES OUT OF THE BOTTOM...

man, understand this, you won't be able to grow in straight-up peat-moss and perlite. never seen such a thing... the peat-moss itself is too acidic to begin with, and it holds a lot more water than vermiculite does.

I really don't know why peat-moss is so popular... I have like a personal thing against peat-moss, you must forgive me.

there are so many better organic options like coco-coir, seed husks (like rice husks), clean river sand, vermiculite, various types of compost, worm-castings.

Pro mix has more peat than verm...And only other things it contains are lime and perlite.

Perlite and peat are the most two common things in every soil Ive ever seen.

PazVerdeRadical

Veteran
how much perlite does pro mix have in it? must a lot to make the peat drain well. if it has lime, it correct the acidity, but for how long?

never used pro-mix...

where I live no one uses peat for anything.

how much perlite does pro mix have in it? must a lot to make the peat drain well. if it has lime, it correct the acidity, but for how long?

never used pro-mix...

where I live no one uses peat for anything.

It lasts me well over 3 months at least before any ph problem. By then Im done with it.

Pro mix has about 25-30 percent perlite, 10 percent verm. rest is just peat moss.

It works great for me. Big 60 gallon bales for 30 bucks.

PazVerdeRadical

Veteran
like I said man, I'm crazy and have this vendetta against peat... I still don't see what is so great about it... tons of countries grow fine herb without peat, people don't even know what it is...

peace

Latest posts

Latest posts