What's new

A few things that I've learned about growing in coco with a drip systm DTW

Weezard

Hawaiian Inebriatti
Veteran
I mean, they are going into 6" square, what should I do you think? Lil pansy starter pots?

Yes, then beer cups, then 4" square. etc.

Coco does not need a large pot compared to soil and grows best when the roots are crowding.

Small increments when up-potting is worth the effort.

Aloha,
Wee zard

morningdewd

canna coco is foolproof imho.i have used it for years to maintain moms and have started cuts in it rite out of the bag.i use it straight nothing added with a little pea gravel in the bottom of container.i can transplant to soil easily which I do when I put cuts into flower as im more concerned with taste than yield.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
im in canna now. ive made the switch. im in my first flowering room full of coco. id been practicing the technique in soil with the multifeed drip system on under sized soil pots and had all my veg plants on multifeed drip in coco. they look fucking awesome and ive never seen such insanely healthy roots. i want to post pics of my roots more than i want to show off my plants.
i am currently flowering day 2 mostly gg4 and a couple lights of thin mint all in coco. roughly 4 or 5 plants per 1k mutli branched about 18 tall bushes. they are in 2 gals with hydroton on top and bottom inch or two. getting about 2- 3 feedings a day of mb and sometimes 6/9 microbloom but im switching to jacks next week and home made M.O.A.B. the other spot is a flipping on monday and iv got sfv true a wifi pheno hunt and a boss sister pheno hunt going in in coco too.loving it. loving my drip system. its better than i had anticipated. the plants love it. thanks for sharing everyone. i appreciate these threads alot you guys are fucking super generous to share this.

yts farmer

Veteran
amazing thread so much good information.

thumbs upto HGO and all contributors of this thread.

will be back for more when i set up my top spin set up once ive done some selecting from seed stock.peace

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
I have some replying to do guys. Im very happy when I see you guys getting great results, it makes it all worthwhile, especially when I read comments like str8edge's. The thread now has well over 100 thousand views and people are still learning, not bad considering I originally wrote it up as a reply to an old thread but then realised that thread was in the outdoor forum and it would not be applicable so I created this thread.

Keep growing strong, with heavy harvests,
HGO

Aspenou812

Veteran
Thanks HGO

Thanks HGO

I have read thread word for word (It is totally inspiring) and i'm looking forward to putting this new knowledge into action as soon as i get back home, i have 3 gallon air pots that actually hold 2.2 gallon/8.4 liters of medium (hope they are not to big) i also have the black holes drippers and rainbird pressure compensating 2 gallon per hour drippers and i have decided i'll need a 4x8 tray, any way i'll be growing 10 plants with 2 x 1000 watt lights. What do you think? I am a total newbie btw so any thoughts or ideas would be great. For the past couple of months i've been traveling across Europe and Asia strictly for business and working 12 hour days 6 days a week Yuck! But not this week! I'm on vacation and at the moment i'm sitting in the Bluebird Cafe in Amsterdam smoking a very nice bong full of Kali Mist one of my old school favorites!! Anyway thanks for this Thread!:tiphat:

classV

Hi guys,

I was fortunate enough to arrive at many of the same conclusions about coco as the OP after two grows and lots of reading. I run in 2 gal smart pots and hand water twice a day to keep the coco moist. Now I would like to automate the feed system a bit, and wonder if you guys would be willing to offer some advice.

The set up will be for 2 to 4 plants in a 3 x 3 x 6 tent. No SOG or SCROG action. Just a couple of plants per run. I intend to run a ½” line from a five gallon bucket into the tent, then break out ¼” lines connecting to pressure compensating emitters. I know from hand-watering my first two grows that I can run ½ gal of feed through each plant in the 2 gal smart pots, twice a day and keep the coco moist. I feel that I am pretty dialed in on the coco side, using Canna coco for the medium with H3ad 6/9 as my foundation for nutrients. The emitters work with a range of 10 to 50 PSI, and I am thinking I’ll run 2 emitters at 1 gph a piece at each plant.

My main issue right now is… what do I use for a pump that I can throttle down to about 20 PSI with a reducer to keep constant pressure on this little set up? Would 20 PSI on the line be too much for a drip system? Some folks seem to prefer a diaphragm pump, others the submersible type, and others yet like impeller pumps. With my small set up I want to dial in as precisely as I can, so consistent PSI on the line is what I am aiming for from the pump. but not sure which type of hardware to use to drive it.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

sureshot66

Veteran
I mean, they are going into 6" square, what should I do you think? Lil pansy starter pots?
yes a small pot i use a 3x3, what are your temps and humidity? i get much faster growth in warm moist room, mid 80s 65-70% humidity, beneficials will really help too

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
Hi guys,

I was fortunate enough to arrive at many of the same conclusions about coco as the OP after two grows and lots of reading. I run in 2 gal smart pots and hand water twice a day to keep the coco moist. Now I would like to automate the feed system a bit, and wonder if you guys would be willing to offer some advice.

The set up will be for 2 to 4 plants in a 3 x 3 x 6 tent. No SOG or SCROG action. Just a couple of plants per run. I intend to run a ½” line from a five gallon bucket into the tent, then break out ¼” lines connecting to pressure compensating emitters. I know from hand-watering my first two grows that I can run ½ gal of feed through each plant in the 2 gal smart pots, twice a day and keep the coco moist. I feel that I am pretty dialed in on the coco side, using Canna coco for the medium with H3ad 6/9 as my foundation for nutrients. The emitters work with a range of 10 to 50 PSI, and I am thinking I’ll run 2 emitters at 1 gph a piece at each plant.

My main issue right now is… what do I use for a pump that I can throttle down to about 20 PSI with a reducer to keep constant pressure on this little set up? Would 20 PSI on the line be too much for a drip system? Some folks seem to prefer a diaphragm pump, others the submersible type, and others yet like impeller pumps. With my small set up I want to dial in as precisely as I can, so consistent PSI on the line is what I am aiming for from the pump. but not sure which type of hardware to use to drive it.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

To set up drippers make up your lines to finished length put the ends into 2 litre jugs and see what the pump puts through in 1 minute, that's your minimum run time

Resolve differences in quantity per jug by using a ring distributor with 6mm(1/4") lines, at least 2 per pot

Cut the 1/2" feed line where it reaches the top of the Rez and put a T inline, stub of 1/2". Then a shut off valve, join back to feed line....
On the other leg of the T put a stub and another shut off valve then a stub pointing back into the Rez

Between the 2 shut off valves you now have total control over the delivery rates, regardless of pump size

The return to the Rez adds to aeration, if you submerge it for silence, put a non return valve on or it'll siphon the Rez and flood you out

classV

Dang, Bush Dr… that’s pretty sharp running a Tee at the rez and then balancing the two flows with shut-off valves to control the main feed! Many thanks!!

When you say “ring distributor” for the pots, are you talking about a manifold on the 1/2 " line with the 1/4” lines running from it to the pots? Just want to be sure I understand the terms.

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
A ring distributor is made by putting a T on the end of the feed, form a 10" dia ring of feed pipe and put that into the 2 ends

Feed lines taken off that, nearest to equal flow from each one without valves

merkaba

I have been doing coco drip for about a year, and recently experimented with a 60/40 mix of coco to perlite and have to say the root growth is even more amazing! Next up is a 50/50 mix and a 40/60 mix. I hand water multiple times a day in veg, but I think ideally you would hand water for a week and go to a drip in veg to really see some amazing growth.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
I have been doing coco drip for about a year, and recently experimented with a 60/40 mix of coco to perlite and have to say the root growth is even more amazing! Next up is a 50/50 mix and a 40/60 mix. I hand water multiple times a day in veg, but I think ideally you would hand water for a week and go to a drip in veg to really see some amazing growth.

i ended up setting my veg on drip too. they love it.
here they are just before i plug em in.

merkaba

Do you drip them right away? Or give them a week before you start? What size containers and how ofter are you dripping?

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
i put them in 4s then wet em through wit hrunoff.
the first couple days i water to runoff. then once i see them grow a little i slow down. skip a day or two. then i water every day. put em in 1s and repeat. then when i get em in 2s i do program drip til flip. last time i got up to twice a day and almost immediatly needed three times a day a week into flower.

Latest posts

Latest posts