What's new

A CXA3590 thread.

We already are an LLC. I'm currently doing real-world tests. Depending on the outcome I may sell them if we can produce them at a reasonable cost. Whether that would be as a conversion kit, a fully assembled unit or a system where people could ship us their existing lights to be converted is unknown at this time. The problem I foresee with a conversion kit is that as many reflectors have different ends (where the HID socket attaches) thus requiring some type of universal bracketing to attach the heat sink. Perhaps a threaded rod at both ends such as I currently have at one end of my test units.

In that train of thought and seeing as the LED temperature runs at just under 50c with an ambient room temperature of about 23c with a 250cfm fan, I added a thermostat directly behind one of the LED's which shuts off the power to the driver so if the temperature exceeds 60c the unit shuts off until it cools down. I may boost that to 65c if we decide to sell them. I also moved the electronics inside the reflector but on the finned side of the heat sink. Now the air flow blows across them as well as the LED's.

Allowing the selection of LED's wouldn't be an issue but the price would vary accordingly.

But it takes time to test these things so a decision won't be made right away. Even then I'd have to set myself up as a vendor here and at a few other sites. I imagine I would start yet another LLC so as to keep separate my current customers who would likely NOT appreciate a product like this.

And of course, I'd have to add a "tattler" to the units so we'd know if the customer had overheated the unit. Not that there are devious humans in the world...

Much to think about.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm curious about how this project is coming along?

How many of those 3590s will it take to get the same results (yields strain for strain) as a thowie in a 5x5 space in your experience thus far?

Sorry for the delayed response but I missed your question. The answer as to how it's going is... I don't know.

I have well water here. After a 1.5 year stretch I got lazy and stopped checking the pH. This as it turned out was a huge mistake. My water typically measured 8.3 from the tap. My mixes were based on this. Post rain the pH is closer to 7.

Alas, we had a very rainy period. This has had a long-term effect (a few months have passed since I discovered it). I don't know how long my water was affected. My plants looked weak. My yields plummeted by over 40%.

On the bright side... my yields have been climbing and are approaching the pre-switch to LED numbers (4.5oz for a Bubba Kush). However, as I do a perpetual grow, it's hard to get a handle on the recovery. As it takes a few months to cycle through, the plants currently in flower spent their first few months with the bad water.

Best estimate on the number of individual LED's for you is 4 for that area.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank you for the response luvdemshrooms.

I'm sorry to hear about your hiccup in your water supply but glad to hear things are getting back to normal.

My sitty this season was similar, in that I was dealing with acidic conditions. However, for different reasons.
I'm just happy I didn't have to deal with the dreaded PM this year.

Anyway, Thank you also for answering my ?.
Hoping it might shed some light for somebody that is also doing a 3590 build out.

Well, crap. I've been fighting with this light for some time only to find out my calculations were quite far off. I intended this light to replace a 600 watt HPS. Yeah... not so much.

New 600 watt HPS bulb at 16" = 66000 LUX
My light with 2 CXA3590's at 16" = 30000 LUX.

I'm not sure where I made the mistake but with a 60% yield reduction, action had to be taken.

As well, several LED's failed despite running at 60c or so. I believe the failures stemmed from my method of mounting them. The screws that clamped them in place didn't allow for expansion. I'll be rebuilding this with 4 of the CXA3590's and I'll report back.

:cry:

(A similar tale of woe (slightly different numbers) shall appear in my CXA3050 thread)

REALSTYLES

this is my CXA 3590 3500k mixed with 5000k

post-316297-0-50750500-1431134674_thumb.jpg

post-316297-0-47676700-1431229416_thumb.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts