What's new

A Complete Guide to Topping, Training and Pruning

J

Javadog

I'd like to propose that we refer to this as "super-pinching" or something that does
not include "crop". It is confusing to the wandering newbie like me.

Just for the lulz. I will figure it all out. ;0)

JD

What do you guys say about clone size when doing SOG with plants only 10 days rooted?

Is it better to do tiny clones or large top clones?

J

Javadog

I am not sure but I do not think that the size of the clone affects
its growth of roots all that much. I am interested in reading what
others write.

I do recall reading that where on the mother the clone is taken can
affect its root growth. Oddly it was the nicest end-nodes that rooted
the slowest.

Good luck,

JD

Dr. Livingston

Now I know How & When to Top

Now I know How & When to Top

I just started some seeds 3-4 weeks ago that were planted in Indoor, in soil, Indica strain: They have small stalks but are starting to look real nice and green, all except the bottom (first) leaves are turning yellow, nothing like your pics.

What is going on? I had some watering issues at first, so maybe that was it. Should I trim those yellow leaves off?

And,

Even though the stalks are small, they have almost 5 nodes on them, should I top them anyway?

If anyone else knows the answers here, that would be great!

Thanks! :tumbleweed:

atsapapa

great guide

great guide

Wow, this guide is awesome. I learned more in a few minutes reading it than I would have spent sorting through a dozen different threads.

eon

I have found that a combination of scrogging and low stress training is great for maximizing surface area. Let all your main kolas grow up thru the netting, then tie them back down to the netting...veg another week or two...tabletop of kolas

eon

I just started some seeds 3-4 weeks ago that were planted in Indoor, in soil, Indica strain: They have small stalks but are starting to look real nice and green, all except the bottom (first) leaves are turning yellow, nothing like your pics.

What is going on? I had some watering issues at first, so maybe that was it. Should I trim those yellow leaves off?

And,

Even though the stalks are small, they have almost 5 nodes on them, should I top them anyway?

If anyone else knows the answers here, that would be great!

Thanks! :tumbleweed:

Sounds like you just need to feed it a little nitrogen. And yes, get rid of yellow leaves. Just a drain on the system. I would wait another week or two before you top them. There is no exact science. Experiment with it. Pay attention. Use common sense...

I like the idea of scrogging but do u have to do this training stuff? what if u just let it grow?

Training *is* Scrogging. To just let it grow is the same as no scrog at all. If you were referring to topping/FIM/Cropping, sure. Tie that bitch down. Some strains work better this way.

J

Javadog

You want to train whenever you have the room.

Training just brings lower branches into positions where they will receive light like
the top of the plant. This results in more colas and better yield overall.

This is indisputable. The problem is that you need room.

I am doing a 36 plant SOG in a 5' tent. I would love to use LST but I cannot
even Veg very long.

Good luck,

JD

eon

Training will maximize your plants potential. If u have lots of room, you can put more plants...make a canopy. But scrogging is clean n tidy. And you can keep your #s down. I havent figured out how to attach a pic yet, or else i would show u. Its more work up front...but less in the long run. Clean all below your screen keep it clean. The smaller kolas will hold themselves up. You will have many more "tops" and less larf

eon

You only need as much room as u have. Its all about creating your surface area net, and filling it properly with your plants

fertilome

eon to post a pic, in the quick reply go to ur pic in ur album here make the url all blue there right click then select copy then 2nd to the last pic in this box is insert image then right click the box and paste it