What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A budding organic convert - Help!

amsterdame

Hey there TK and all you organic heads....I'm done thinking about it. I'm ready to take the plunge into your world - organics! :eek: ;)

I've got some northernberry and bogbubble clones to work with. I've been primarily DWC the last 5 grows using the BC nute family and Liquid Karma, but am switching over to the autopot method and will be using a 16 gal res.

What is a good nute formula for an organic newbie to begin with?

And what are the most important things I need to keep in mind when working with organics?

Any other advice? All is appreciated!

merci beaucoup!

Cheers,

A*dame :wave:

Dr. D

Veteran
Hey amsterdame

Hey amsterdame

Personally i use soil, i think theres not that many organic feeds that work in a res and also iv heard of problems with organic nutes in a res ph problems etc chemical feeds are broken down and readily availible to the plants organic r not they break down in the soil before they become availible to the plants to take up, y not try soil, go the whole hog, 9iuse bio-bizz nutes b,cuzz r good too and canna hav just brought out an organic range soil and all.peace

G

There are plenty of Organic Nutes that work in a hydro setup. They dont have to be broken down before they are absorbed, they are already broken down for the plants assimilation. Also PH problems wont be a problem for Organic Nutes like Pure Blend Pro it comes with a PH buffer. I hav'nt had to use my PH pen in a couple years. I think earth juice has the PH problem, If Organics are used in a recirculating system it will deplete magnesium up quickly. I see this as a positive sign. Its sucks it up that quick. I found sediment heavy organics tend to settle in the bottom of bubbler buckets. Thats my take on it for the most part.

To answer the question I say use PBP along with Liquid Karma. Go at half strength first and ramp it up accordingly. What to look out for is the TDS. True Organics naturally read very high. Not a problem. Just like any other system let the plant tell you what it wants. Good Luck!

Blatant

THC4SIM

Bio-Bizz

Bio-Bizz

I just finished one big Bogbubble using Bio-Bizz all-mix, grow, bloom & topmax.. all organic... she had a few months outside, then flowered indoors under 600w. :p

1039IMG_0526_JPG-med.jpg

organic is the only way to go, to get full flavour....., in my opinion..!

niceOne

THC4SIM

Dr. D

Veteran
Hey thc

Hey thc

Did u have any probs with the bizz??? i use the full range too and hav had good and ok results iv had a few nutes deffiencies too.peace

THC4SIM

Yup, ive experienced a bit of trouble, yellowing and some leaves loosing colour and going crispy, while all the others are healthy, maybe a lot of other factors as well, so i cant realy put it down to the Bio-Bizz range.... maybe the feeding timeline and amounts of feed could be tweeked to get optimal results....

So all is good with the Bizz for me...:p

I give my mate Clunk66, 14 Bogbubble clones, his are close to finishing up, they look amazing!!, ill get him to do his first post this week with some pic's..
and you'll see why you want to go Organic!!!

niceOne

THC4SIM

Dr. D

Veteran
Niceone thc

Niceone thc

Ive been lookin for others using bio-bizz, i believe its down to gettin the right amounts and the right ph I try to keep mine at about 6, wots urs??? I reckon organics is more complicated than the hydro??? its just down to experience and gettin it right , wot do u think??

amsterdame

This is a great start, thanks guyz....

I want to stick to hydro for now after the investment already made in the autopots. Autopots are a self-watering system where the modules holding 2 pots each are hooked to a rez and the plants basically feed themselves through a "smart valve". No pumps, no electricity needed.

Blatant, you mentioned something about sediment heavy nutes... the autopots aren't a recirculating system so I imagine this could become an issue for me as well. The nutes sit in the rez until called upon by the plants. Should I add a small pump or air stone to circulate the nutes?

Pure Blend Pro sounds like the way to go. I'll actually be running two autopot systems side by side -- an organic and a reg hydro set up, as I still have some of the BC nutes to use up.

Happy growing,
A*dame :cool:

G

I would use some kind of thing to keep the water moving around in the resevoir like a Skimmer, airstone or a powerhead. It will keep things uniform. if it sits in the res. the last of the Nute Solution will be mostly water.

Blatant

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
organics

organics

High ya Amsterdame, I think once ya go to oranics you'll never go back ! the flavor is so much better, I've used BC nutes. and they work well esp. the stable ph. This was after trying Earth juice... this shit had me pulling my hair out... you could NOT get the ph stable, come to find out the grow part of this stuff ferments and the ph goes crazy ! So after that I was a little gun shy about ORGANICS lol. hence the BC nutes. But I read so many good things about pure blend pro that I gave a shot. Let me tell ya the flav. is much better and no ph probs. either. Btw those autopots look like the shit. My space being limited I now use 4 gal. buckets filled with F.F. soil cut by a third with perlite. I use drip lines ( this lets the roots grow right to the top of the bucket ) connected to a cheap pump in a 14 gal. rubbermaid tub with a timmer on it. Sorry for the long post but I thought it worthy of telling cause it WAY out yeilds my hydro in the rubbermaids... sorry so long... I'm on that shit again !!! lol

amsterdame

Thanks Blatant, I'll look for something like that to circulate the rez nutes.

It's great to hear of your experience, B.C., glad you didn't hold back! :) So you moved to soil though...why?

yeah, I'm psyched to check out these autopots. I'm trying to find a balance between producing fine yields of quality bud and the energy, maintenance, and $ needed to do it. Once you mix the nutes for the autopots, you just let them go and feed themselves. No need to check ph or ppm levels after that. Then you just refill the rez. Anything to simplify the process without sacrificing yield or quality is worthy of attention in my book.

Peace,
A*dame

Dr. D

Veteran
airstone good idea

airstone good idea

If u use an air stone in the res to keep things moving ul have the added benefit of xtra oxygen in the water hence bigger yields,try to get a ceramic one if u can not a normal fish tank air stone.peace

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
Hello A'Dame

Hello A'Dame

I reckon I went to soil to simplify my situation, I use a room that's in an attic so the layout is like 10' long by probably 4-5' wide with a slant of the roof comeing down on one side ( pretty tight for big guy with a bad back ! ). So trying to get to the back to check ph, change rez...ect. in hydro was a pain, and when I first started I did some in soil just incase the hydro didn't work out :D . With 3-5 plants in rubbermaid tub DWC.they didn't yeild as well as one 4 gal. bucket with fox farm soil cut alot with perlite, esp. once the drip lines were started. So I put the whole thing in buckets with irragation lines running to each one. this is alot better way for me to fill my space ( I didn't have to leave a path to the back any more = more plants :D ) this also saves my back, after the initial set up that is lol. Now all I have to do is feed the rez. it's kinda like hy-soil-dro lol the plants really love it... Btw if you bubble your rez you'll still need to keep an eye on your ph with oganics it will slowly drift up. good luck what ever ya do. :wave:

amsterdame

Hey there, has anyone switched to hydro organics in the middle of the grow cycle, like going into flower? If so, what were your results? Could you tell the difference when you smoked it? Any reason you'd advise against switching in mid cycle?

Thanks Dr D. I'm a big fan of air stones and notice the cheap kind need to be replaced after 2 grows. I'll definitely try the ceramic.

I hear ya, B.C. about being kind to your back. :) I started with soil, had great results, but being safety minded, I didn't want to keep up with continually moving gobs of soil in and out of my house. I heard a grower got busted simply by having a rather large pile of potting soil with perlite sitting in his back yard. At least the coco coir is burnable. :D

peace,
A*dame

G

I haven't forgot about you guys but I am moving my office and my daytime connection is down for a bit.

I'll post some info tonight

Tex

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
High A-Dame...

High A-Dame...

I read a lot of good info. at og. on the things your wanting to know about not that T.K. wouldn't be smack on with his info. :D it's jus some times there's more than one way to skin a cat and it's best to check'em all out and see what works for you...
Btw, good point about lugging soil in and out of your house, this would never do in town. Thank god I live in the country ( where you can pee in your yard.... JLP's signature hahaha :eek: ) anywho hehe we've got a lot of flower beds, and a garden so it looks hunky dorry... jus what works for me.... good luck to ya :wave:

Latest posts

Latest posts