What's new

A Basic Compost Tea Guide

G

Gunnlæif

you are applying the myc product direct to soil?

what i am saying is if you use it in your compost tea it wont get to the soil alive

why not? where does this info come from? i've never found evidence of it not being alive.

Granger2

Veteran
The death of mychorhizae added to ACT during brewing is something that Microbe Man has observed with a microscope. -granger

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The death of mychorhizae added to ACT during brewing is something that Microbe Man has observed with a microscope. -granger

Please note that I have never observed nor reported this. What I have stated is that there is not much point in putting endomycorrhizal spores into CT as they will not sprout nor grow. They sprout when proximal to a living root. The best way to use these spores is spread onto prepped cuttings and/or roots when (trans)planting and/or placing them into the planting hole.

Please, please you guys be careful when repeating what you believe I have said.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
On that note then microbeman I have humboldt nutrients myco madness that I use. With this example would the best way to use this product be to directly put the powdered mix on the roots during transplant or mix it up according to the directions and then put that mixture directly on roots prior to transplant? With the humic acid that is in the product as well I have burnt the hell out of some plants before trying to directly put powder onto my roots. Again, if I mix it up according to the directions and just water it in regularly is that just not doing anything for my roots? Will the spores not sift down through the soil and come into contact with the roots of my plants? I know that when I have done it this way I have noticed fungal activity directly on top of my top soil which I thought was interesting. Sorry for the onslaught of questions but these are things that have been on my mind for a while. Thanks, :yes:

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Please note that I have never observed nor reported this. What I have stated is that there is not much point in putting endomycorrhizal spores into CT as they will not sprout nor grow. They sprout when proximal to a living root. The best way to use these spores is spread onto prepped cuttings and/or roots when (trans)planting and/or placing them into the planting hole.

Please, please you guys be careful when repeating what you believe I have said.

yeah the more i think about it the less certain i am myco wouldnt survive the tea process

nonetheless; its still pointless to run it through the tea cycle -just innoculate the soil w/ it

also; its basically a 1x inoculation not a feed stock

G

Gunnlæif

I'd like to thank microbeman for pointing me in the right direction to learn more about what, how and why things are happening in what i'm doing before i go further or try other mixes and methods.
What i have been getting for results with what i'm doing is why i posted up and if anyone wanted to try it they could and observe they're own results and see if it helps them.

I would also note i put the tarantula and pirahna in my brew because i figured if it comes in a liquid why/how could it hurt?

back to reading more. :thank you:

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
it might be a good idea to figure out what else is in those products ~there has to be some media to support those spores

if it is a sugar or even something more complex it could well represent a feedstock which is improving your tea

plus; as we noted; the myco is likely still being applied/innoculated ~my apologies

G

Gunnlæif

it might be a good idea to figure out what else is in those products ~there has to be some media to support those spores

if it is a sugar or even something more complex it could well represent a feedstock which is improving your tea

plus; as we noted; the myco is likely still being applied/innoculated ~my apologies

none needed...i'm just tryin to figure it out. :ying:

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have a sticky on another forum which answers most questions. hint GS...er GC

Thanks Amber

Last edited:

Granger2

Veteran
MicrobeMan,
Sorry for misquoting you. That's what I get for relying on my sometimes feeble memory. Having read and been involved in discussion on your Tea Article sticky, my misquote is how I remembered your statement. So, while we're at it, you are saying that they don't sprout, but do they survive in tea and sprout when the tea is applied to medium? Or not? Or undetermined? Thanks. -granger

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
For the record it is not my sticky. You are best to read my sticky on that other forum. I'm working on one for IC.

Granger2

Veteran
I'm just trying to remember the sticky. I'm sure I would like CT Guys's sticky if I could remember what a sticky is. Now, what was I talking about? Or was I talking...bd-bd-bd-bd...

C

CT Guy

MM was referring to his sticky on Myco on Grasscity, which has solid info. Stuff I find that keeps being asked over here. I'll try and copy it and start a new thread.

As for my sticky, that's the "tea article" sticky that's already in here. I was just giving MM a hard time.

Granger2

Veteran
CT Guy,
I understand. I was just engaging in some self effacing humor about my memory. Thanks for your big contribution.
Thanks to MM also for his. Yall have helped a lot of people.
-granger

G

Gunnlæif

Well after a good long dip into brewing teas and other areas where i have no expertise, but some good results thru trial and error, i need to know what is a good scope to purchase? I would like one that is of good quality to accomplish the task but not break the bank or a need to upgrade if i get more involved with brewing than i expect at the moment.

***i just found microbeman's site looks like he has what i need in a scope.***

S

SeaMaiden

Yeah, that. I have a very inexpensive student scope, but a phase contrast would be so much nicer.