What's new

A 20-Year Study on Marijuana Use Yields 5 Surprising Finds

Suntana

Well, with 45 years of smoking i have never overdosed, had a problem driving, been addicted to weed, i have run a couple businesses. I definitely can not say the same for alcohol, and tobacco. I think that the only reason that people use other illicit drugs is they were available in the same circle...
Well said, EsterEssence. It's all about the circle, I'm living proof of that and I've smoked cannabis for 30 years. Never had the desire for hard drugs.

mr.brunch

Veteran
Btw, most of the kids these days bypass weed and go straight on the dodgy shit... They see weed as boring, old school- they prefer chemical n powder nowadays. Plus, they been told that weed is dangerous like other drugs, then they found out its not so they think "if they lied about weed then this must apply to all illegal drugs"
Biggest folly of the drug war.

mukuku

cannabis is not addictive....

:whistling::violin::thinking:

those who think that are very very blind people

the addiction is psychologic and a little physical but very very strong for some people like me.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
some folks are kidding themselves

of course cannabis will reduce your ability to drive safely. doubling the chance of an accident still probably means you have a very very small chance of having an accident but higher than if you werent smoking. saying things like 'i smoke and drive all the time and have never had an accident' just shows you dont understand the statistics!

anyone who thinks that inhaling cannabis smoke isnt going to harm your lungs in some way is tripping! probably not as bad as tobacco because THC itself is not a carcinogen like nicotene. you are still inhaling smoke.

cannabis doesnt have physical addiction, but if you smoke cannabis every day then you are an addict. stop kidding yourself. (i smoke every day myself) psychological addiction is still addiction.

thats not to say that canna doesnt have many great health and other benefits, im a big fan make no mistake!
but just get real about it ffs

VG

mr.brunch

Veteran
cannabis is not addictive....

:whistling::violin::thinking:

those who think that are very very blind people

the addiction is psychologic and a little physical but very very strong for some people like me.

I am not blind....I have smoked weed for around 25 years and I will tell you right now, if it WAS addictive and I went for a 2 week holiday with none( like I just have ) they would have been checking me into hospital. DEPENDENCE and ADDICTION are totally different things.
I have seen people withdrawing from addictive substances after a matter of hours, and it ain't pretty.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:)
de·pen·dence noun \di-ˈpen-dən(t)s\
: the state of needing something or someone else for support, help, etc.

: the state of being addicted to alcohol or a drug

the iq thing makes sense, kinda. I mean if you smoke all the time starting as a teen and continue doing so all the way through your 20 and do other drugs as well.

I mean that would make anyone dumber. not because of the weed but because chances are you are not a productive person and get very little academic stimulation.

so I can agree that a long term drug addict would loose iq points because their time is spent chasing a high rather than engaging life and learning things. like a moderate or even heavy user of just marijuana would. of course this is just my thoughts on the subject.

what I was trying to get at here, was that marijuana does not negatively impact IQ. I mean they said is was a small percentage of heavy long term users and there were other factors like using other illicit drugs and whatnot. so I don't understand how they can say it lowers IQ but they also give other reasons that better explain the lowered IQ. they are contradicting themselves

mr.brunch

Veteran
Dependence is when you feel you need something to feel good, or carry on as normal - but you would find that if you go without you would not have physical withdrawl symptoms.

Addiction is when you try to stop using a substance then find that without it , your body goes into shock, you get cramps/pains, muscle spasms, uncontrollable shakes, hallucinations, feelings that things are crawling over your body, voices in your head ,vomiting, and possibly- like my close relative, rest his soul, need to be put on strong medication and put into hospital care to stop you having a heart attack.
Not trying to be a dick, just making a valid point- there is a difference.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dependence is when you feel you need something to feel good, or carry on as normal - but you would find that if you go without you would not have physical withdrawl symptoms.

Addiction is when you try to stop using a substance then find that without it , your body goes into shock, you get cramps/pains, muscle spasms, uncontrollable shakes, hallucinations, feelings that things are crawling over your body, voices in your head ,vomiting, and possibly- like my close relative, rest his soul, need to be put on strong medication and put into hospital care to stop you having a heart attack.
Not trying to be a dick, just making a valid point- there is a difference.

no problem, im not trying to be a dick either. you are describing physical addiction and its withdrawal. cannabis is mentally addictive.
look at the dictionary definition i posted on the last page.
you like the word dependence because in your head it doesnt sound so bad, but actually addiction is just one form of dependence.

no bigger fan of cannabis than me, but i dont believe we should be kidding ourselves about it

VG :tiphat:

I love a toke but i can also admit it has some negative effects as well , all you have to do is look at the amount of conpiraloon nutjobs on here to see the negative effect it has on critical thinking .

mr.brunch

Veteran
Personally , I don't really care what label anyone wants to put on me- I smoke a lot of weed, every day ( probably too much for my health!) but I can easily take a break whenever, whereas with the harder stuff it's not that easy.
I just feel there should be a distinction between the 2 situations. Lumping all substances together and saying simply 'they're all addictive' is not good.
That's why we have the terms ' psychological dependence' and 'physiological addiction'

armedoldhippy

Veteran
"if you smoke cannabis every day, then you are addicted..."
LOL! I reckon that I am addicted to air, bacon, water, bacon, bread, sugar, bacon, butter...and the list goes on forever. doing something every day, to me, merely says that you like something a lot. if I did not have to work etc, I would be hunting & fishing every day of the year. does this mean that I am addicted? I have always taken the stance that IF you did not do something & suffered for lack of it either mentally or physically, then you could conceivably be termed addicted. other than air, water, and food, there is nothing that I enjoy that I cannot do without. am I happier when I have those things? most assuredly! but that does NOT mean that I am addicted to them... when did wanting to do something every day become the definition of addiction???? JMHO

NEGT1

See the issue lies in the following...

Coffee is very habit forming, arguably addictive YET the idea of a coffee addict is non existent to society HOWEVER a frequent user of cannabis can be considered an "addict".

But beyond that, what about the idea that someone who is depressed is addicted to anti depressants? Yes it's real but....no one in that situation is an "addict" because it's better than being addicted to depression, so to speak.

so much of this is so relative that studies like this piss me off beyond belief. there is no constant here. Nothing.

someone who takes sleeping aids may very well be addicted but they aren't considered an addict and are very normal to society....

I trust science the most at high level universities, which is where we absolutely need studies to take place. even then they're funded by outside sources....

jd4083

Veteran
Look, nobody is saying that you're going to ruin your life by being addicted to pot. Everybody is addicted to something, be it coffee (as you mentioned) or tobacco or chocolate or sex or food, everyone has a vice. You guys are ignoring the facts in order to craft your own delusional worldview, that is all that myself and VerdantGreen were saying in this thread.

Folks here really need to learn how to divest emotion from their arguments and use logical reasoning to approach an issue fairly and objectively, not just continue to stick their proverbial fingers in their ears and yell "lalalala I can't hear you!"

Being able to look at the issue from both sides and form a logical opinion somewhere in the middle does not make you a "sellout," it makes you an intelligent, reasonable adult.

I would also like to take this time to remind everyone that at no point did I say that everyone who smokes pot every day is addicted -- I specifically said I am not speaking for anyone but myself. However, it's clear by the responses that the statement struck a nerve with a lot of folks, and I challenge you to really think about and question why you might have had such an immediate visceral response to that statement if you are indeed not addicted or dependent upon cannabis.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"if you smoke cannabis every day, then you are addicted..."
LOL! I reckon that I am addicted to air, bacon, water, bacon, bread, sugar, bacon, butter...and the list goes on forever. doing something every day, to me, merely says that you like something a lot. if I did not have to work etc, I would be hunting & fishing every day of the year. does this mean that I am addicted? I have always taken the stance that IF you did not do something & suffered for lack of it either mentally or physically, then you could conceivably be termed addicted. other than air, water, and food, there is nothing that I enjoy that I cannot do without. am I happier when I have those things? most assuredly! but that does NOT mean that I am addicted to them... when did wanting to do something every day become the definition of addiction???? JMHO

erm, cannabis is a mind altering/psychoactive drug, all the comparisons you mention are not mind altering drugs. wanting to take a drug every day is the very definition of addiction. give up all cannabis for a few weeks and tell me how easy you found it. i just did that for the first time in years and it was quite hard, especially if you always have weed to hand in the house, which i do.

p.S. NEGT1 - most people in the world are addicted to caffeine, including myself. caffeine is also a drug, at times it's even been illegal.

VG

i would conclude that because our brains are not fully developed until the age of 24 or 25 it would be beneficial not to use cannabis until then,
it is very hard to use our own development to gauge this effect because
our self image is not reliable. i have witnessed over the last 15 years my twin daughters take two roads one started smoking when she was 13 not that big of a deal as most of us can relate, she did excellent in school <honor roll> ,,the other one didn't smoke, she did well in school too< no honor roll ever> but no problems, here is where i see the differences begin, even though the one who smoked had much better grades, she always forgetting to do things she was asked, she lost her stuff more frequently, she also loved to put things off until later, she was also more temperamental handling stresses of the real world.. she was book smart but her mind is not what it should be.. the other twin who didn't smoke had a much easier time with remembering things and dealing with life on lifes terms. so i would have to say that i don't think using cannabis will do much in the way of lowering IQ it definatley can hinder the development of a teen brain in other ways. the older one now smokes and has had no problems with memory and remembering things
it sure makes me wish i would have started when i was older and my brain was done developing lol