What's new

99 more ways to kill your plant, Weekly.

mage

I'm going to shift to new grower section and restructure my new thread so it's easier to read. I'll start the new thread when I get and germ my new beans. Thanks for the input

mage

FYI, A bit off topic but out of interest i looked into the "femicide" and am quite horrified at what appears to take place.

"The phenomenon of female infanticide is as old as many cultures ... remains a critical concern in a number of "Third World" countries today ...notably China and India."

"Female infanticide is the intentional killing of baby girls due to the preference for male babies and from the low value associated with the birth of females." Marina Porras, "Female Infanticide and Foeticide".

"In India, for example, because of Hindu beliefs and the rigid caste system, young girls were murdered as a matter of course. When demographic statistics were first collected in the nineteenth century, it was discovered that in "some villages, no girl babies were found at all; in a total of thirty others, there were 343 boys to 54 girls. ... n Bombay, the number of girls alive in 1834 was 603." ~ R.J. Rummel

"The bias against females in India is related to the fact that "Sons are called upon to provide the income; they are the ones who do most of the work in the fields. In this way sons are looked to as a type of insurance. With this perspective, it becomes clearer that the high value given to males decreases the value given to females." (Marina Porras, "Female Infanticide and Foeticide".) The problem is also intimately tied to the institution of dowry, in which the family of a prospective bride must pay enormous sums of money to the family in which the woman will live after marriage. Though formally outlawed, the institution is still pervasive. "The combination of dowry and wedding expenses usually add up to more than a million rupees ([US] $35,000). In India the average civil servant earns about 100,000 rupees ($3,500) a year. Given these figures combined with the low status of women, it seems not so illogical that the poorer Indian families would want only male children." (Porras, "Female Infanticide and Foeticide".) Murders of women whose families are deemed to have paid insufficient dowry have become increasingly common, and receive separate case-study treatment on this site."

According to http://www.gendercide.org/case_infanticide.html

Latest posts

Latest posts