What's new

8x8 grow space lighting. Help

So been running a few grows with this space (total space is 12x14 but actual growing area is 8x8) running 5-600hps lights. 2by2 and 1 in the middle for max coverage. Yields have been decent. Some better than others. I’m debating on swapping out the 600s for 3-1000s and maybe keeping 1-600around for accent lighting (MH bulb in flower type of thing). Just not sure if it’s worth the switch. I run 4-4x4 tables but would go down to 3 if I ran the 1000s. So still same amount of plants at 12. Any thoughts?? I know I can work on training better, topping more and staking better which would help yield. Kinda stuck here lol. Would love to hear from someone who’s ran both 600 and 1ks hps.

Mr. J

Definitely worth it. If you've only used 600's and never seen what you can do with a 1000, you're going to be very happy with the increased penetration, density, and just the overall quality of bud. Even with only 3 I still think you would get better results, but I'd add a 4th anyway and just blast them. I've done both and it's not even a contest, they're in a whole different weight class. I started with 1000s and thought I'd try out some 600s because they were getting lot of hype at the time. That only lasted for one grow, then the 600s were relegated to veg duty.

Jammal

I wouldn't retool your whole grow, I would add a few new tech LEDs to that space..or just scrunch it all together given more watts per sq/ft.

Mars sp 250's in between the 600's

Mr. J

Lol, ya, some LED's in between. He could probably build a second room and fill it with real lights with the money he'd be wasting. 1000W HPS all the way.

Lol, ya, some LED's in between. He could probably build a second room and fill it with real lights with the money he'd be wasting. 1000W HPS all the way.

Yeah I want to go with 4-1000s... but that’s the max wattage on my light controller so not sure if they are supposed to be ran at 100% or not. That’s my only issue I guess. I want to run 220 to the light controller maybe this forces my hand. But even with 3 you think it’s be worth it? I could run 3-1000s and run a solo 600 with 3 plants and keep the Light controller from being at 100%

Mr. J

I don't have a whole lot of experience with the 6's because after the one grow, I was so disappointed with both the yield and overall quality of the final product that I immediately went back to 1k. Maybe I didn't give them enough of a chance but I couldn't afford a second disappointing run so I switched back.

I'd go 220 and throw in a 4th light if it's possible, but I would still go 1000 if I could only have 3. I'm a bit crazy about symmetry though, so if you can figure out how to get an even spread with 3 in your space, and you're not OCD, then go for it. It's definitely plenty of light if you have the right reflector. Or just chuck a 6 in one corner.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with the 6's because after the one grow, I was so disappointed with both the yield and overall quality of the final product that I immediately went back to 1k. Maybe I didn't give them enough of a chance but I couldn't afford a second disappointing run so I switched back.

I'd go 220 and throw in a 4th light if it's possible, but I would still go 1000 if I could only have 3.

With research I could run 4 with no issues. I think be more efficient to run on 220 tho... I like my 600s. Not much heat. I actually run them open with no venting or glass specially in winter... that 1k heat makes me nervous lol.

Mr. J

The 1k's run hot, that's for sure. It's definitely something you'll need to deal with. I used to run them open though and I could still get them 12-18 inches from the plants no problem, but they'll heat up the room a lot more than a 600.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have you considered getting some 630w CMH conversions kits, but using the same layout otherwise?

The CMH spectrum crushes standard HPS, fwiw.

dank.Frank

Have you considered getting some 630w CMH conversions kits, but using the same layout otherwise?

The CMH spectrum crushes standard HPS, fwiw.

dank.Frank
I think cmh will be eventually. As for now hps is cheaper. And I can swap out my 600 for a 1000watt ballast and get bulbs and keep running. Cmh or high end led will be down the road.

Jammal

Just lol, new tech LEDs have come a long way, they are actually affordable now too,

There is 500w cmh out now also basically same price as the 315's

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The 630w conversion would be considerably less than new ballast and bulbs. You just get an adapter for the bulb mount, more or less, and plug and play the new bulbs.

You'd get almost the same yields as if you switched to 1k - but with a superior all around flower and terpene expression.

dank.Frank

Mr. J

Just lol, new tech LEDs have come a long way, they are actually affordable now too,

There is 500w cmh out now also basically same price as the 315's
Don't get me wrong, I've seen some nice LED grows, for sure. Some really nice buds. About the size of my thumb. LED is great if you want a scrog with a 6 inch deep canopy.

Jammal

Don't get me wrong, I've seen some nice LED grows, for sure. Some really nice buds. About the size of my thumb. LED is great if you want a scrog with a 6 inch deep canopy.

Such small minded, no one suggested what your implication, only supplement to hps. :moon:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mr. J obviously hasn't been keeping up with the latest and greatest in lighting tech. There are several LED fixtures now, albeit about 2x the cost of implementation, that can truly replace if not outperform a standard HPS.

We are seeing it more and more even on these boards as the brave take the plunge for us.

I'm running Quantum 6 spectrum panels now that are 200w each. I'm hoping they'll outperform my 315w CMH setup. Time will tell.

However, it's fascinating how well they are working. They are providing enough light to veg perfectly. Flower, will be interesting.

fwiw - I would have held the same opinion, up till about 4 months ago.

dank.Frank

Mr. J

Come on Jammal, why so serious? I'm joking around. Nothing to get mad about. Still, nothing beats a 1000 watt Hortilux. It's just the truth. I made a joke about dirt one time and everyone got so butthurt that I was banned for who knows how long. A couple of weeks at least.

Besides, the guy asked for advice about upgrading to 1000 watt HPS from people who have used 600 and 1000 watt HPS. You're the one who's off topic.

Jammal

Come on guys, why so serious? I'm joking around. Nothing to get mad about. Still, nothing beats a 1000 watt Hortilux. It's just the truth. I made a joke about dirt one time and everyone got so butthurt that I was banned for who knows how long.

+1 on 1000w hortilux if starting from scratch, I still think hps benefits more from supplement spectrum from a different source than just blasting more orange light..and vice versa, that's been my experience

Mr. J

+1 on 1000w hortilux if starting from scratch, I still think hps benefits more from supplement spectrum from a different source than just blasting more orange light..and vice versa, that's been my experience
That's fair, makes sense. I always wanted to throw some more blue light in there myself but I'm obsessed with uniformity and the thought of an uneven distribution of the different lights would make me go nuts. So I just blast them with the Hortilux. They definitely have quite a bluer spectrum than your standard HPS so that helps.

Jammal

1000w equipment is very cheap now, super cheap, you got me thinking, dual 1000w mh/hps air cooled hoods can't be beat!!! Even those are cheap now. That was really the secret to great 90's hydro,pushing bud to the max..

G13Fan

New Grower here have alot invested over the last year vegging under T5 6500 k x4 bulbs and 2 30 w home depot leds . Wanting to flower them out and looking for the best solution. What do you all think about the 1000w Horilux Super Blue bulb? It is pricey but is it worth ?