What's new

8x8 1000w veg light?

yerboyblue

Thanks in advance for any help...
I am drawing up plans to build a better veg room, and need some help in determining enough light for it. I was wondering if a 1000w MH or HPS with the right hood/reflector (any recommendations?) would be enough to cover an 8x8 area.
I plan on putting about 6 plants in this area, and training each one with a trellis, filling up the entire area with a fairly even canopy. From there, the plants will go into the flower room, which has much more light available.

Will this be enough lighting for this area?

yerboyblue

Thanks hempluvr but I am talking about vegging some plants. Plus with that calculation, that would be 4 1000w lights for an 8x8 space, which to me is a little on the 'more than necessary' side for flowering even.

yerboyblue

I'm thinking maybe 4 250w lights might make a more desirable set up for this area? That way I can turn more lights on when the plants start filling in, plus adjust the reflectors as needed?

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A couple of 600's or 1000's on 4' light rails would work in a veg room . light strength depends on you & your wallet .

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
long story short, ya 8x8 is a lil big for a 1k lite but it can work some will b in the shade prolly tho

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
you could do great hanging bare bulb in the middle vertical style and that would allow a 4 foot on each side which is perfect for the 8x8 area

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
4 250s will work, its just alot of bulbs for a lil space, 8x8 i say 2x 600w or 2x 400w if thats what u got.

vukman

Veteran
4 250s will work, its just alot of bulbs for a lil space, 8x8 i say 2x 600w or 2x 400w if thats what u got.

I have to fully agree with Avinash.miles. 4 lights are just a lot of bulbs in a 'small' space like that. I understand what you are doing and the theory is very sound. Breaking a large square into 4 smaller and equal squares but if you lay it out on the floor (for shits and giggles) and see how much space you will have for each light/fixture/hood, you will see you are opening yourself to a whole different issue. I don't see anywhere you have talked about the evacuation of excess heat. You can't tell me you're planning on using 4 cool hoods. I mean it can be done.....hell........just about anything can be done but..........

Take 2 lights vertically hanging with something of this type of design in mind ..
http://www.thefind.com/garden/info-vertical-hydroponic-growing-system
or
2 hoods with large bat-wing reflectors such as
http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=830
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The above are only examples and no way indicate I am advertising nor promoting the mentioned retailers....
The latter can be obtained with cool tubes and attachable reflectors as well.

As always, just my opinions..:)

yerboyblue

My concern with the vertical bulbs was getting even coverage on the canopy, as I will be scrogging these 6 plants, each in a screen that's 32" by 48", but I suppose the evenness of the canopy will be more related to how well I train the plants. I suppose I have the same concern with just running 2 lights for the area.

As far as the heat, I got that covered. The area will have it's own intake fan on a speed controller, this would cover 1600w here during the winter no problem.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Then you're looking for the optimal 3x4 light spread. Sounds more like 2 400's or 600's are what you need.

If you're scrogging and this is the veg room... what do you have for a flower room? That's actually what you want to scrog that with. Or are you planning on vegging in this room and then throwing them under a screen in the next?

I guess I just don't see what you're doing, now that you've mentioned scrogging. Different beast entirely.

You also want at least a week of veg under full flower lighting density... before the switch. (big difference)

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
2 x 400w or 2 x 600w would do the job quite well. As for the reflector that depends on how much you want to spend and if you need air-cooling or not.

-Funk

250wscrogger

I cover anywhere from a 5x5 up to 6x10 area in veg (depending on plant size) with 1k mh in vertizontal hood. 48 plants vegged to 2.5'
It seems like the plants don't need as much wattage per sq ft in veg.

yerboyblue

Then you're looking for the optimal 3x4 light spread. Sounds more like 2 400's or 600's are what you need.

If you're scrogging and this is the veg room... what do you have for a flower room? That's actually what you want to scrog that with. Or are you planning on vegging in this room and then throwing them under a screen in the next?

I guess I just don't see what you're doing, now that you've mentioned scrogging. Different beast entirely.

You also want at least a week of veg under full flower lighting density... before the switch. (big difference)

6 plants, each in it's own 32x48 screen, so 3 plants in a row would equal 4x8 on one side. Double that. I want to veg them into a nice, fairly even canopy, then transplant them into my flower room which is 10x10 with 6-600w lights.
I currently scrog (not a true scrog) in my flower room, but am trying to be more efficient and basically be able to add another harvest or two a year. The way my lights are set up in there and the hoods I am using, I am wasting a lot of light waiting for the plants to fill in. I am thinking 4-400's would definitely be comparable to what amount of light the plants are actually using before I switch, so basically I am asking if a single 400w would be enough to cover a 4x4 section that is purely vegetative, and has an even canopy. I am thinking the corners of this area won't have to be well illuminated as I anticipate stretch once it's flipped, so really more like a 3.5'x3.5' section.
Once I move them into flower, I would let the stretch do it's thing and prune accordingly.

yerboyblue

I cover anywhere from a 5x5 up to 6x10 area in veg (depending on plant size) with 1k mh in vertizontal hood. 48 plants vegged to 2.5'
It seems like the plants don't need as much wattage per sq ft in veg.

I was almost thinking something like that as well, one of those vertical reflectors that look like you could pick up directtv with, with a 1000w in it, then rotate the plants from time to time so they get more even coverage.

yerboyblue

I will have to double screen for some strains that stretch a lot, I already do this. So basically I want to get a nice trained canopy in veg, then if I have to add another net after a big stretch in flower, that's not a problem for me, as I've been doing this for years.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
so basically I am asking if a single 400w would be enough to cover a 4x4 section that is purely vegetative, and has an even canopy. I am thinking the corners of this area won't have to be well illuminated as I anticipate stretch once it's flipped, so really more like a 3.5'x3.5' section.

You -should- be able to get away with that. You'll have a bit more stretch between internodes, but decent enough.

No way you can 'try' it with one setup and then get the other 3 400's if it works out? :D

supermanlives

Veteran
4 x 600s would be my advise.250and 400s are a joke and you will be upgrading latr. i got a shitload of old 400s and a few 250s. useless