What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

80s Durban Poison

Who remembers this kind of flower 🌱😁 I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but those old school stoners know how this hits

Attachments

• IMG_3813.png
    IMG_3813.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 284

Rodehazrd

I got the DP Durban for this year I do indoor and outdoor haven’t decided what goes where yet I’m leaning toward inside for the Durban and outdoor for some Runtz

Rastafarout

Premium user
Is that durban.......looks similar to swazi rooi.....looks good what ever it is
You miss the 40yr old seed pop ? These are supposedly from the 80.s … that’s just funny ! I reckon it’s just a expression from a more recent sativa , maybe some Malawi in too with those calyxes and the resin coverage
But yeah the profiles are same as S.Africans
but those have no aniseed
And buds are wrong , not small and tight, and red hairs to fine .. just my opionion obviously

Nannymouse

Supposedly, the 80's Durban was what a guy grew and sold in the Duban area during the 80's, maybe before. He stopped growing. Years later found several hundred seeds, and had someone else attempt to sprout the seed. Only thirteen seeds popped and grew, as they were decades old. Those thirteen were the parents to '80's Durban Poison'. Maybe more authentic 'Durban' than any of the other 'strains' that went through the port...or just as authentic. There is no one line that can be 'the only' Durban. It would be like trying to say that there is only 'one' true california weed, or one true SanDiego weed.

Rastafarout

Premium user
Supposedly, the 80's Durban was what a guy grew and sold in the Duban area during the 80's, maybe before. He stopped growing. Years later found several hundred seeds, and had someone else attempt to sprout the seed. Only thirteen seeds popped and grew, as they were decades old. Those thirteen were the parents to '80's Durban Poison'. Maybe more authentic 'Durban' than any of the other 'strains' that went through the port...or just as authentic. There is no one line that can be 'the only' Durban. It would be like trying to say that there is only 'one' true california weed, or one true SanDiego weed.
40 yr old seeds kept un-refrigerated in the most humid and hot city of South Africa all year round ?
Why is no one asking about that amazing seed popping tech ?
200 seeds
Got 13 to pop
And has about 7 different phenotypes that he describes check IG
several different terps even ..
from a supposed 80’s landrace / heirloom
Which you would expect to be homogeneous…..no ?

Edit- it does look like some really good sativa canna …but 80’s hmmmm doubt it

Last edited:

Rastafarout

Premium user
I agree with Durban coming from diff provinces and countries , but mostly Southern Africa ..
the “Durban” expression was chosen to grow
as first grade , they knew they could sell that all at a premium no qualms ..
became the preferred thing to grow …
it would only express itself properly in right conditions those old generational sustenance farming OG’s knew exactly where these spots are .. trial and error

Valley of a thousand hills inland Durban could have supplied a small percentage
To hot (police) there for the massive amounts that got exported
Those decades

hubcap

StackinCalyxs
Veteran
I know, specifically, the stuff labeled 'durban poison' that I was around, circa 89-92, came from a guy we knew in drakensberg (spelling might be wrong) SA. Thats all i knew about it, in terms of lineage or origin.
I remember it being so good everyone was asking about it. I didnt like the taste, but, loved the creative high it gave. I learned how to play drums and keyboard during a summer and durban poison.
:)
you know...the good ol days the old timers always talk about, before, it became what it is today.

-cap