What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

800W Octagon - starting & need help

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
Um, OSB is not structural. Also it's like pasta if you hit it with water.

Carboy

Um, OSB is not structural. Also it's like pasta if you hit it with water.

Great point. Can't believe I didn't see that. I've been in construction, so there is no excuse except lack of attention.
Blocking it w/ 2x4s would probably get by for a run or so.
CB

ericsson

Welcome aboard Dr Happy & Gunnarguchi, thanks 4 the thumbs up :)

Kcar, Carboy - thanks 4 the posts, I used OSB as I had some lying around, the system isn't super heavy so I think it'll manage. I know wood would be much better (and also cost much more). If the OSB supports take a laugh at me I'll think of somthing else.

Today they got transplanted into the space ship :D looking a little droopy at the moment, PH is going bananas (hydroton..) so it looks like an exciting week :p
Cooltubes are a miracle though, got the temps down to 25*C (77*F) with 2x400W running, and the fresh air intake isn't even hooked up yet, so there's hope they won't get fried during the summer time, yey!

Any clues as for the yellowing leaf edges? I also noticed, that the PH - (Hesi, meant for the grow stage) also rises the EC - is this normal?
POT HEADS, HELP ME OUT PLZ :D

They are 2 weeks now, should I give them a few days to get use to the new conditions (lights changed from MH to HPS) and switch and still let them grow bigger (I'm affraid they'll get the close to the lights after stretching from the 12/12 change, but then again I can always put a cage around the tubes). Also, will it be safe to rise the EC to 1 by now? I'm asking, as all this time I couldn't check the EC/PH changes, and at the moment (with the PH lifting off) there's no point really.

How about the mother plants numbers - really, no one knows, or no one feels like answering? Also, no comments on my topping ideas - give a starter a hand guys!!

I'll try to take a few snaps of the space ship packed and running 2mrw.
E.

ericsson

OK, lifting off
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I few quick shots I got today. The EC / PH is going wild - yesterday around 9pm I set the EC @ 1 and PH @ 5.7, today EC is 1.4 and PH 7.8
WTF is going on?? I guess it'll take a while before the hydroton settles & I suppose that untill my RO set is replaced there's no point in worring about the readings (well, as long as it won't do any harm). I'm using tap water left for at least 24h and at the moment I have no other choice.

The youngsters and starting to "stand up" & look towards the lights now. I'm thinking, that since there is 28 empty spaces (two levels) perhaps 2 x 400W isn't needed - would you try running it on one light or should I stick with the 2?

E.

RockwellHG

Unless they are showing signs of heat stress or scorching or what not, I'd say more light is better :)

Really nice setup btw :tiphat:

ericsson

UPDATE:

The pictures below are from last week (around wednesday, they are about 16days old):
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The plants were doing ok even though I didn't have my RO set and the PH / EC was going bananas (I had to change the res every 2 days, with pH going up to ~8.0 and EC 1.4. Each time I was using tap water (0.9 EC) that was left to settle for about 36h. Thats it for the good news.

Ok, now the worst part - DISASTER STRUCK
picture.php
:yoinks:
As I mentioned the pH / EC was going wild, so when I had to leave for 2 days I asked a friend to change the water. When I came back (after 3 days) it turned out that he didn't do it, the EC was @ 1.9, pH @ 8.0 and the plants got super-fried (I suppose). These are pictures from today, here comes full drama:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Most of the plants look like the ones in the photos (I trimmed all the fried leafs) - is there any hope for them to survive?
I'm also worried that I might have root rot - is it possible so quick? Today I balanced the tap water (before the packet arrived) to 5.0 (as the PH was going up like fuck) and after the first feeding (2min on / 10 off) the res was already @ pH 6.1 :eek:
Two hours later it as back in the mid 7's (~7.5). Does the ultra-quick change of the pH level mean the roots are rotting?? Is there anything I can do, or should I pull them and star over?
PLEASE HELP :bow:
There are a few plants that dont look so bad (yet), this is one of them:
picture.php

Is there any chance in getting them back to the living?
My res temps are around 25*C (77*F) during lights on and around 21*C (70*F) during lights off. I know it's high, but people have been running their res's in the 80's as well with no root rot.
Also, there is alge growing on the top layers of the rockwool (it doesn't go any deeper then the light is able to penetrate) - should I worry about this and cover up the tops of the netpots, or its nothing dangerous? Also, a few tops of the rockwool qubes look like this:
picture.php

Can this be some sort of mould, or is it possible that due to over feeding some salt built up on top of the qubes (even though they don't reach into the tubes they are always moist).

Now, for my "reanimation" steps - I've hooked up my RO set a while ago, had it running for about 2h to clean the filters and clear the water, so I'll be changing my res in about 1h from now. Having in mind that the plants got fried (or perhaps I'm wrong and the EC @ 1.9 wasn't the cause - two more options are left - the high pH/nute lock out or root rot) should I give the dying fuckers just plain RO water with balanced pH (I'll check if it's going up so fast with the RO as well) with added H202, or should they get some nutes as well?? My last though is about the feeding schedule - perhaps 2min's on / 10min's off is too much (but I doubt that really). Once again - any help will be much appreciated, as I don't think I'll manage to fix this on my own..

Thanks 4 looking,
Eric

plants are pretty resilient in my experience so if you give them water that doesn't fry 'em, then I think they'll recover just fine

Good luck and great setup. Looking forward to the rest of the thread!

C

cork144

im amazed theyre actually still alive since the ph keeps going up and over 7,

id say run anew batch of clones man and sort out that ph problem, because, not trying to sound harsh, you might be wasting your time, imagine you have another ph swing halfway through flower and theyre beyond repair, your going to be more let down then,

Slimm

Those PH swings are probably due to organic activity. Add a TBSP of H2O2 per gallon of water. Definately put a dilute nutrient solution in the water and get it in normal PH range (around 5.8). When those plants see the 5.8 water come through they will need to grab the deficient elements out of solution - just remember to keep the nute concentration light for now. You need to keep the H2O2 in solution at all times with those temps or you're in for more rot.

Its worth spending a little time trying to revive them. If you don't see results quickly enough start new clones. You may want to invest in a chiller to avoid these problems.

ericsson

THC 4 the quick answers guys!

About the pH (EC as well - it was always pH UP, EC UP) swings - they're pretty much constant for some time now (not so big & quick at first) and I though the main cause is my shitty water. Since the 1.9 EC frying it's gone totally nuts, thats why I started thinkng of the root rot. A while ago I changed the res, and for the first time they got RO in the res. I added 15ml/gal of H202 and after a while some diluted nutes - Hesi Growth & Hesi root complex + a few drops of Hesi Super Vit, giving me EC 0.6 in the res. Balanced it all @ pH 5.5. After the first two feedings (in other words, after 24min) it was up to 6.0. I'll see what's up in the morning. How to tell if it is root rot? If tommorow the pH is over 7 again, should I change the res once more, add H202, nutes etc or just use the pH down (it slightly rises the EC - is this normal)? Having in mind, that the water temps are a bit high, how often should the res get changed and fresh H202 added?

goodnight my stoner's :)
E.

ericsson

Today around 3pm the pH was 7.4 again. I added fresh RO water and balanced the pH to 5.0. The first two feedings brought the pH back up to 6.2. I balanced the pH once more, waited another 2 feedings (pH 5.8) and balanced it again (4.8). After one more feeding it was around 5.2. I'll check later in the evening what's going on.

What I've noticed, is that after each quick pH rise, I needed less pH down solution to bring the pH to around 5.0. Now, should I continue this pH balancing "on the spot" and see if it's getting any better? I'm also wondering should I add more H202 to make the solution stronger (and, for how long does H2O2 "last" in the res)??
Any one have a qlue WTF is going on in there?

Thanks,
E.

ericsson

Fellow IC members - HELP :1help: they're going down every minute now.. :help:

Nothing seems to change - even if I wait for 3-4 feeding cycles and balance the res to pH 5.0 and 0.8 EC, after 24h it's back up to 7.5, the EC about 1.0. Been adding H202, I managed to drop the res temps a lil bit (around 74*F) - with no results :fsu:

They are really close to the flat line by now, It looks as if not too many people visit my thread so I'm gona try to get some answers in the Cannabis Infirmary, as I don't have a fcn' qlue whats causing this :dunno:

If any one would like to help/suggest or add an idea - HERE is the thread.

E.

mr cheese

take look in my profile, i designed this system originally, got old thread with everything you need to knw... all best mrc

ericsson

Hi mrc!
Thanks 4 poping in - I just went through ur whole cage thread - nice work! Obviously (looking at the yields) U didn't have any problems similar to mine.. Ur system was also twice as big (3" PVC vs 6" ABS). Also, yours was filled with rockwool, I filled mine with hydroton. I don't think I could feed them only 3 times a day for 5mins.. Worst of all, I don't know (yet) whats causing my pH to go fucking insane..
How did you root your clones (in rockwool as well)? In the infirmary it's been mentioned that starting my seeds in rockwool may not have been the best idea, and perhaps because of the fact the cubes are staying moist I might be overwatering the plants. What times would you change the feeding schedule to?

Thanks,
Eric

lolraymond

Awesome set up, mang. Hella sick. I hope your plants end up coming around! I'd really like to see how the grow goes! Good luck dude.

Subscribed :)

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
Did you rinse the hydroton? And why do you water them 5 time per hour?

ericsson

Yeah, I soaked and risned the hydroton. The system was put apart yesterday (take a look at my Infirmay thread), and I'm cleaning it all out again. Still no ideas of what's causing those major pH swings..

As for the watering schedule, El Bastido (who made this system) wrote about 1min on / 5min off. Having in mind, that its filled with hydroton I thought it's a good starting point, only chaged it to 2min on / 10min off so that it could drain better. I thought that the rootmass in the tubes will grow much faster then it actually does. Also, there is a problem with the rockwool qubes I used to start the seeds in, as they are staying moist. As for the feeding times to use when I put the system back together - I'll be guessing. Mr cheese watered only 3 times a day, but his whole system was filled with rockwool.. Any suggestions as the the schedule in my system?

ericsson

Hello Doctor!

I've finally got my RO set running - why do you suggest using GHE "hard water"? Other then that, I've got a shitload of Hesi nutes that's cost me heavy bucks, so I rather not throw it in the closet just yet, as I don't think that my nutes are the issue here.

Bout the super vit - it's really very small doses, would you ditch it anyway?

Latest posts

Latest posts