What's new

8 plants per house, legal in Uruguay, as of April 26th

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
Nice move Uraguay!

If my memory serves me correctly, Uraguay has the highest standard of living in south america.

What is the predominant language spoken there? Portuguese?

I would love to travel south america some day and I imagine my trip would be much easier if I were able to speak with the locals.

Wiki write up is impressive!! Stable , 52nd highest in the world for quality of living,digital telecoms system,temperate climate :) good times !

nomaad

Veteran
I have had my eye on uruguay for a few years since reading an article that, in a survey of some kind, had the highest satisfaction with their democracy... or something like that. The exact details are hazy... we were living in Central America at the time... always looking for the next frontier.

Nice one, Uruguay.

Thanks for the support! Yes, I love this country, but the best part of the country isn't listed in statistics or Wikipedia, and that is the people. Most respectful, polite, trustable people I've come across in my travels.
Where were you living in Central America, nomaad? I lived for a bit in Nicaragua and Costa Rica, but was spurred on to find a better nation (Uruguay), due in large part to the rapidly increasing violent crime in Costa Rica right now.

hempluvr

plant pimp
Veteran
Thanks for the support! Yes, I love this country, but the best part of the country isn't listed in statistics or Wikipedia, and that is the people. Most respectful, polite, trustable people I've come across in my travels.
Where were you living in Central America, nomaad? I lived for a bit in Nicaragua and Costa Rica, but was spurred on to find a better nation (Uruguay), due in large part to the rapidly increasing violent crime in Costa Rica right now.

What is the language spoken down in Uruguay?

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
Spanish mostly.....

http://www.mapsofworld.com/uruguay/society-and-culture/languages.html said:
Uruguay is also known by the official name of Oriental Republic of Uruguay and is located in the south eastern part of South America. Among the Uruguay languages, Spanish is the official or the National language of the country. Other Languages of Uruguay are Riverense Portunol and Rioplatense Spanish.

Spanish language that is spoken in Uruguay has been customized by the Italians, who had drifted to the Uruguay. The language in Uruguay is gentler than that of the Castile and some of the words are different from the words that are used in Spain.

The people of Uruguay, who reside at the northern side of the country, speak the Uruguay language that is a mixture of Spanish and Portuguese and is popularly known as Brazilero. The cowboys from the South American pampas also known as the gauchos have influenced the language in Uruguay.

In Uruguay there are Spanish language schools. For the students of the foreign countries Academia Uruguay imparts Spanish courses. The people of Uruguay are predominantly of the European origin with the majority of the people being descendants of the Italians and the Spanish people, who had immigrated during the 19th and 20th century. The language Portunal of Uruguay is very dynamic and heterogeneous language.

nomaad

Veteran

For the sake of anonymity, I refer to the place I lived for many years as "El Honduragua".

I know what you're talking about about rising crime, growing rich-poor gaps and the targeting of gringos. Its kind of de riguer for Nicaragua, but well on the rise in CR as well these days.

I have been threatening a visit to South America for a long time... maybe its time to pull the trigger.

Last edited:

blackone

Veteran
Congratulations Uruguay :) I hope democracy will take hold in your country and I hope to see more countries all over the world overcoming past problems with military governments, criminally corrupt capitalism,religious fanaticism, feudalism, stalinism, fascism or any other 'ism that stands between people and their right to live and express themselves.

Jasmine in the west...