What's new

6x23W CFL Rubbermaid Microgrow - 1st timer!

This plant has been in flower for a couple of weeks at this point and still doesn't smell at all. I have to rub the leaves with my fingers to get any smell from it. You can almost put your nose right up to it without smelling a thing! Amazing...

Last edited:
Still really nothing at all for smell. I have no carbon scrubber hooked up to the unit at all because it's not emitting any odor at all at this point. I have all of the components to construct a filter but I'm not going to put one together until this thing starts to kick into gear with the smell, if it ever does. I re-outfitted the scrog screen and the bud sites are exploding. I have a feeling this is going to be a long flowering strain. I'm at day 26 of flower here and it seems like it has a long, long ways to go. Things are looking good nonetheless...

K

kidkannabis

damn nice screen casual o. i counted 18 budsites so far.Shes gona yield u a decent amount.So no smell ehhh :chin: ?? good strain for stealth ops.keep those pics comin bro. :joint:

Wicked

Thats looking great CasualO, Ill be hookin onto his thread to see how things happen. Im just starting a stealth cab now, just emptied out a dresser and am puttin the dimensions and electronics to paper now. Im thinking of going cfl, but youre not happy with that this time around?

kidkannabis said:
So no smell ehhh :chin: ?? good strain for stealth ops :joint:

It's pretty crazy, really. I thought for sure that this one was going to be a stinker in flower but so far there is nothing for smell, zip. I have to rub the leaves with my fingers to get even just a hint of skunky aroma, and even then it's pretty mild. I have to wonder what this plant would do under a 400W HPS.

Wicked said:
Thats looking great CasualO, Ill be hookin onto his thread to see how things happen. Im just starting a stealth cab now, just emptied out a dresser and am puttin the dimensions and electronics to paper now. Im thinking of going cfl, but youre not happy with that this time around?

At first, I wasn't real thrilled with the progress in this tub but I've kind of come around to liking it. It's pretty quiet and tucked back into a closet where nobody would even bother to look, which is nice. I'd just like to get 3-4 plants going at once to pull a decent harvest and then figure out my next grow at my leisure. Eventually I'll accomplish that in something similar to a C13 I'm sure. I'm not a real heavy smoker but I do dig nice buds. :joint:

I'm almost kind of glad the other two were males. I think if I had another plant in here it'd be a little cramped for space and the bud sites wouldn't be doing as well as they currently are.

I'm playing with macro mode on my camera tonight so I'll edit in some photos as the night goes on.

Puffing on a bag of mids while I wait for this grow to finish...

Last edited:

cfl...KING

Listen my username is from 07 lol
Veteran
keep up the good work...cant wait to see the dried pics an weight of that gurl.wish i could grow buds like that

Bud sites are exploding in size along the main growth stem and everywhere else it seems. This plant is still exhibiting nearly zero smell. You really have to grab the plant and put your nose into the bud sites to smell anything. My plan at this point is to harvest what I can from this run and then re-veg. Once the plant has established steady vegetative growth I'll take clones for my next cab grow and use this tub as a place to house my mother plant. For a bag seed I'm really impressed with how this plant has turned out so far.

I'm using GH Floranova nutrients at half strength every other watering. I'm currently watering about twice per week as that's all the plant is telling me to do. If it was sucking more water I'd give it more water. I think a lot of gardeners are too wrapped up in the technicalities and scientific minutiae of this hobby and don't listen to what their plants are telling them.

Some of the pistils are starting to brown and shrivel, though no trichomes are visibly apparent yet. Hopefully a little bit of frost will start to make its way into the mix before too long. An updated snapshot...

hey man ive been watching your grow since you first started, and im impressed with your results. One question though, did you switch your lights for flower at all? it still looks like the same spectrum. other than that, everything look awesome.

Dr Herbivore said:
hey man ive been watching your grow since you first started, and im impressed with your results. One question though, did you switch your lights for flower at all? it still looks like the same spectrum. other than that, everything look awesome.

I haven't changed the lights at all. I'm still running 6x23W daylight bulbs from Home Depot. I could probably buy a couple higher wattage lights as the temps inside the tub aren't running high right now at all.

cfl...KING

Veteran
you should change out your cfls for the 3000k, there better for flowering. my even solve you trinchome problem.good luck an ansome grow

yeah, most definitely. the soft white spectrum, or 6500k color temperature lights are much more suited for flowering, and would definitely assist in your lack-of trichome problem. the 3000k spectrum that the guy above suggested is a mixed spectrum, decent for both veg and flower/keeping a mother so that's an option as well. i am surprised at the great results with just the daylight bulbs though, i knew they could at least produce some flowering but not such a substantial amount such as yours...good luck shoppin for bulbs

edit: i just realized you have the same weather stripping as me, that shit works the balls!

Last edited:
Dr Herbivore said:
yeah, most definitely. the soft white spectrum, or 6500k color temperature lights are much more suited for flowering, and would definitely assist in your lack-of trichome problem. the 3000k spectrum that the guy above suggested is a mixed spectrum, decent for both veg and flower/keeping a mother so that's an option as well. i am surprised at the great results with just the daylight bulbs though, i knew they could at least produce some flowering but not such a substantial amount such as yours...good luck shoppin for bulbs

edit: i just realized you have the same weather stripping as me, that shit works the balls!

Thanks for the help. I was looking around and I think a couple of mixed spectrum bulbs like this - in addition to the 23W bulbs would be best. Any opinions?

http://www.1000bulbs.com/42-Watt-Compact-Fluorescents/2817/

Last edited:

cfl...KING

Veteran
Hi, ya definatly go wit warm white 2700k to 3000k spectrum. ANYTHING ABOVE 3000k IS NOT FOR FLOWERING, 5000k-6500k IS JUST FOR VEGGING NOT FLOWERING!!!!
2700k-3000k is warm white or RED SPECTRUM the closest thing to a HPS
5000k-6500k is daylight or BLUE SPECTRUM the cloest thing to a MH
anything between or full spectrum are ok for both but will yeild less

Last edited:
Playing around with macro mode tonight while I watered w/ nutrient solution. This hobby is fun. I'll be switching bulbs over pretty soon. I'm going to grab a few of the 42W CFLs and keep a few of the 23W in there to try to keep temps a little manageable. I think if I tried to go with all 42W CFLs the temps might get a little high.

Last edited:

yeknomssa

looking good man, you've got TONS of budsites poking through that screen hehe.

by the way, how is that screen attached? does it just sit between your tubs? and if so how do you go about watering your plants?

yeknomssa said:
looking good man, you've got TONS of budsites poking through that screen hehe.

by the way, how is that screen attached? does it just sit between your tubs? and if so how do you go about watering your plants?

Thanks for the compliment. LST has really done wonders for this grow. LSTing this one plant has provided at least 20 bud sites to work with.

I built a wood frame that is equal to the width of the bottom tub. The frame/screen just rests on the inside of the bottom tub since it has a slight decrease in width toward the bottom.

I water using a pump sprayer. I take the spray nozzle off of the end of the hose and just pump the sprayer to create pressure inside the tank. Its works great and I don't have to remove the screen.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts