What's new

600w V 1000w

Harry Lime

Veteran
Seems to me it's kinda traditional that in the USA they run 1000w lights and we here run 600s…That's generally speaking and I know some here run 1000s.

I've run 600s now, on and off for a few years. I upgraded to air cooled
a year ago which meant I could run through summer (though I probably didn't need them last summer).
Now I'm wondering about moving on to 1000s and maybe pulling the same yield in a slightly smaller light footprint. The idea behind it is to fit a rez and dripper system into the saved space. I'm bored of hand watering now.

So, your experience with thousand watters versus six hundreds?
Have you switched between them?
Can I up the grams per watt thingy in the same areas per light?

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
you will have to mount the 1000 higher above the plants, if you can handle the extra heat then go for it but usually people get more space when they go up to 1000s rather than a smaller foot print unless you can work/trim/top them enough to train them into the best possible canopy and height..

600 watters are more efficient, in lumens per watt, versus the equivalent ballast powered 1000w,, the reason i say that is that i'm not sure if the gavita 1000 pro lights are more efficient per watt compared to a normal ballasted 600w..

so you need either a high ceiling or scrog, and ventilation that can handle an extra 400 watts of heat..

how big is your grow area?

you could add co2 to get more gpw..

Last edited:

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
1000w all the way. you will yield substantially more than a 600w. I use both tbh and the 1000watters blow the 600w away. it does get hot but when its air cooled it you got that part covered and yup you can get a 600 closer but that wont reflect on yield I find. jmo

toppin

Veteran
Good tread im about to upgrade to 1000w from 600w. Harry lime check out wilmas (rez + drip feeders + pump)

Harry Lime

Veteran
Good input, guys, thanks.

Lost in a sea, I run four to 6 lights over up to around five square metres. I'm thinking of say four 1000s over fourish square metres leaving the extra meter or so to set up a rez.
For comparison here I'm thinking four air cooled 100s over the same area where I sometimes run five 600s. So, 4000 watts over four metres instead of 3000.

I've just been talking to my grow supply man and he's suggesting an IWS flood and drain system. I'm not sure where to go with this bit yet but it's off topic for now.

G

Graham Purwatt

yeah 600's are great, they run cooler and are more efficient as far as more lumens per watt goes but the 1000's will give you a lot more penetration. I used to run a couple 6's and switched to one 1000 and got rid of the 6's pretty quickly after I saw difference. on the e&f if you're tired of handwatering go for it. I also just switched from handwatering to e&f and I have to say the results i'm getting are spectacular and I have a whole lot less work to do just tending to my reservoir. starting to think I never fed my handwatered girls enough because they are loving it in the tray

mack 10

Veteran
In the Usa you can get a 1k light complete for cheap, the 600's where actually more.
the other way around in uk/Europe.
mack.

BigPhil

Veteran
I use two 1000W in the winter and 2 600ws in the summer, I yield roughly the same though, I got quantum 1000w and lumatek 600w's.

Iffy

Nil Illegitimus Carburundum
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi Harry,
Interesting thread. I use 600's now but I have heat issues, so my situations preclude the use of 1000's - sadly because I've used both and as long as you can deal with the heat (and it is a LOT more) the 1000's are way better. Penetration & total lumens - priceless!
Good luck mate & let us know how you find the comparison :tiphat:

roll it large

Coco-grower
Veteran
the quality is also better my trichome amount/density is far better compared to same plant under a 600w or should I say running 60w+ per sq ft gives better quality buds

peace

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
Good input, guys, thanks.

Lost in a sea, I run four to 6 lights over up to around five square metres. I'm thinking of say four 1000s over fourish square metres leaving the extra meter or so to set up a rez.
For comparison here I'm thinking four air cooled 100s over the same area where I sometimes run five 600s. So, 4000 watts over four metres instead of 3000.

I've just been talking to my grow supply man and he's suggesting an IWS flood and drain system. I'm not sure where to go with this bit yet but it's off topic for now.

yeah then it will help significantly and the heat shouldn't be that much more than before..

1000s are expensive though so if you can afford to get a gavita 1000w then i would advise it.. they are alot better than a normal 1000w.. they run about £450-500 but the par light and moles of light for the same watts are alot more and they use the professional double ended phillips bulbs.. and you can adjust them from 600/660/750/825/1000/1150 watts which is pretty cool..

their website:

http://www.gavita-holland.com/index...ormance-lighting/item/gavita-pro-1000-de.html

then you will grow some seriously serious plants.. and if you think about it they could pay for themselves in one grow,, easily,, probably four or times over if you buy four and upgrade from 600s..

i bet the system he suggested costs a bomb as well..

W

willyweed

i would consider using 2 x 600w ,but also am considering switching to vert light as they are easier to cool ,also it depends on what height plants you aim to grow? taller prob 1000w shorter prob 2x 600 w ,its only an extra 200 ish watts but 200 -240,000 lumen's is a lot of light from 2 different sources and a great cross over in the middle, what shape room is it and how high? thanks willyweed

mellofello

I use two 1000W in the winter and 2 600ws in the summer, I yield roughly the same though, I got quantum 1000w and lumatek 600w's.

Seems very strange that you get the same yield from both set ups. If you get the same with the 2 x 600s why ever use 2 x 1000s as it costs more to run but you get the same yeild?

G

GreenPlant

Yea i'd be Pissed Big Phil if i didnt get a significantly better yield with using a 1000w Compared to 600w.

BTW .[similar question] Are Aircooled Reflectors A worthy investment?
Imagine they are..

S

speedemon

I have also found I get bigger yields dimming my 3 lights to 600 each, than when I was runnig them at 1000s. So from now on its 600 all the way :)

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
Yea i'd be Pissed Big Phil if i didnt get a significantly better yield with using a 1000w Compared to 600w.

BTW .[similar question] Are Aircooled Reflectors A worthy investment?
Imagine they are..

if your grow area's going up to 30+C regularly then yeah..

the next logical step then is to get a co2 rig and bump yields up even more..

Harry Lime

Veteran
yeah then it will help significantly and the heat shouldn't be that much more than before..

1000s are expensive though so if you can afford to get a gavita 1000w then i would advise it.. they are alot better than a normal 1000w.. they run about £450-500 but the par light and moles of light for the same watts are alot more and they use the professional double ended phillips bulbs.. and you can adjust them from 600/660/750/825/1000/1150 watts which is pretty cool..

their website:

http://www.gavita-holland.com/index...ormance-lighting/item/gavita-pro-1000-de.html

then you will grow some seriously serious plants.. and if you think about it they could pay for themselves in one grow,, easily,, probably four or times over if you buy four and upgrade from 600s..

i bet the system he suggested costs a bomb as well..

Gavita's! Yes Guy, I've been thinking about them for a while. I've read some good stuff about them. Only thing is, heat is an issue in the summer (hence I went to air cooled 600s last year).
Are they as warm as other 1000s?

And yes, the system ain't cheap but cost is an issue - for the first time in my life! Actually, I was there again the other day and he talked me out of the IWS fllod and drain without realising it. He reckons I need to turn the inner pots a quarter turn each day to prevent roots from running back into the pipes. I need something i can leave for 5 - 7 days occasionally so I'm now thinking rtw drippers. Only thing there is I have limited head room…

Lot of things to work out!

Latest posts

Latest posts