What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

600W Sweet Tooth #3 monocropping.

Rasta311

Ever have any mold problems with ST3? I always had a little mold no matter the airflow. The colas were just to damn dense.

blackone

Veteran
Yup sometimes I do have a mold problem.
Last harvest it was very minimal - one time when I grew larger plants without topping I got a lot of mold and lost quite a bit of bud.

blackone

Veteran
Day 25

I'm scared about mold this time around because the buds are getting bigger than on the last round. And canopy is dense as always...
Next round it's going to be something different. Just took 24 cuts of my DSD momma pheno 2 and 4 cuts from my SatoriXSwt momma pheno 2.
DSD momma that we have followed for the last couple of weeks - has grown well I think but not quite enough to yield me a full box of clones (28 pieces).
Before:
picture.php

After:
picture.php

The clones - this is one of the best batches of clones I've ever taken I think.
Everything has been done correctly:
Good size clones except for perhaps 2 that were a little smaller. Still the smaller ones where of a size that I've rooted easily before.
Making sure they aren't touching the side of the cloner (Can't be avoided 100%)
Trimmed off lower leaves if too close to the jiffy (goes hand in hand with the larger size that this is even possible)
Good trim of fanleaves.
A liberal amount of clonex has been used - no need to be thrifty there - cover everything that goes in the pellets.

Wish me luck on this batch! Less than 4 weeks left before they have to go under and I would very much like to see them rooted through the jiffys in 10-12 days so they can get a full 2 weeks of vegging in cups before going under the 600W for a couple of days to shoot roots down the 6.5L pots (I think I've abandoned the hydro idea for now - maybe next time)
picture.php

As always - reference plant:
picture.php

Resin development in the works:
picture.php

Canopy:
picture.php

Last edited:

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
looking like its going smooth blackone :joint:

mold is definitely the tough point of swt3, at least IME. Such a nice strain to grow otherwise. I love the tight nugs and the nice buzz it can give you.

looks like you vegged them enough for 1-1.5oz/plant as long as the light/airflow/nute applications are right.

Have you run this outdoors before? When I ran my SOL mix pack a couple seasons back, I was pleasantly surprised with some nice potent buds outdoors that did well even in semi-damp conditions. Was expecting more mold, but by the time they started molding, they were pretty much ready anyway, so I just pulled them and lost maybe 1/10th of the bottom of some buds to mold. Just have to watch carefully towards harvest time in those last few weeks of flower.

that satori*swt3 sounds very promising. were you thinking the satori would cut down on the mold a bit since it does well in higher humidity?

will be lurking around.

be well, good growing

blackone

Veteran
Thanks man.

I think you're just about right about them being vegged enough to yield an oz+ each - in fact if these had been planted in large pots and given enough space I'm sure they could yield even more.
As it is now I don't think I'll hit an oz each on average - I probably will on my reference plant and several others but they simply have such large leaves compared to the size of the plant that they're shading each other out.
The shading effect could be lessened by just growing them untopped but I don't want such large colas...
I'm gonna do an experiment in a smaller cab lollipopping a SOG grow and trimming fan leaves heavily when they shade each other out.

No I've never run this strain outdoors.
I don't know if it will finish in time but I do have some clones that are going out for some extra late season minis. If they trigger then I'll see how bad the mold will get outside.
Inside I haven't had problems for the last half year or so.

The SatoriXSwt was a cross I made when the sole Swt male I had decided to flower and die because I only had it in a very small pot.
Half of these were very Satori dominant in terms of smell - no swt aroma at all.
2 of them had a nice sweet smell. The one I cloned yesterday is the fastest finisher with perhaps the largest yield potential. Pleasant sweet aroma with distinct skunky/rotten fruit undertones. Both of these traits are definitely inherited from swt. Flowertime is 63+ days - can be taken at 60 if must or even at 56 but it's a bit of a shame.
The other pheno has long and very spearshaped buds. It really needs the 65-70 days flowertime. Aroma is similar but leaning more towards tangerine/orange. Hmm.. maybe I'll start a few clones of that one too to get a good comparison.
I'm growing these because I think they have yield potential - more spear-shaped, longer buds will get them up above the canopy.

I also made some fms gf X swt back then - when I grew them before I only got 2 males from the 2 seeds I started and decided to kill them. Have 3 seeds left of that one that I'm gonna start soon - hoping to do a little breeding there.

Last edited:

blackone

Veteran
Day 30

Day 30

Just popping in to update thread on day 30 - buds seem to be swelling like they should without giving me worries so far. As far as I remember bud building is full speed until around day 42, then tapers off. This thread will try to document what I think I know :)
Mandatory reference plant:
picture.php

Swelling bud:
picture.php

Clones looking pretty ok too. Took off the lid for a while yesterday and forgot I did... went back this morning and clones still alright. They had callous after 4 days - promising. Later today they were a little droopy again so got a spray and the lid back on.
picture.php

blackone

Veteran
Nope not at all:)
Next round is gonna be even more fun I think because I'll be going for single cola plants - so fewer but larger colas (I hope).
I'm already looking forward to that one:)

Irie_Lion

Free up the Herbs....Let the Sacrament grow!
Veteran
so will u just veg the clones less & flip 12/12 them to achieve this ? I am currently debating on how i wanna do my next run. Up to now its been mainly perpetual but lately ive been thinkin bout switching it up to all at once. Same size lamp as yours but my containers are 11 ltr or 3gal bags. Got some 8miles high cuts waiting to root up and there is an indica leaning pheno that i think would do well in a sog or single cola set up. Do u plan on using 6.5l containers for the next run as well? Close to dbl the amount would fit in my closet if i dropped down a size but i wasnt sure its affects on yield. What do u avg per plant? SOrry if that was a bunch of questions at once lol but just tryin to formulate a plan ;)

blackone

Veteran
For this run with 20 plants I really should have used 11L containers, because it would mean almost twice the amount of rootspace and less frequent waterings.
On hot days I really have to water them daily even though I only turn on the lamp at night.

The next run is going to be 30 plants, and the 6.5L pots will be perfect - in fact I wouldn't be able to fit 30 11 liter pots in there.
I expect the clones to root within the next week - so they'll be getting a little more than 2 weeks of veg in small cups. Then after transplant I'll give them at least 3-4 days of 18/6 before trimming bottoms and switching to 12/12. So you could call it a 3 weeks veg.
Keep in mind that both DSD and SatoriXSwt are a bit more sativa with a good stretch (and longer flowertime) so less vegging is needed. I'm sure I'll be able to lollipop them a good deal and still have some nice little christmas trees come harvest.
In terms of total garden effectivity a little longer flowertime isn't too bad if it's offset by a healthy stretch and good per plant yield allowing you to use less time and space for vegging.

Irie_Lion

Veteran
Yea i totally agree with u about the longer flowering time not being a bad thing if the stretch plays into the mix its pretty much like veggin a lil longer anyways. I'm gona keep an eye on your next run and make my descision after that lol. What size to anticipate flipping them? 8-12 "? Plus after these 8MH are thru flowering i should be able to tell what kinda stretch to expect down the road. For now i will stick to the 11 ltr pots and lst'ing. Thanks again man!

Oh yea forgot to ask how big is your grow area??

blackone

Veteran
Grow area is fairly large - around 122*135 cm so I'm sure a better reflector like a batwing could work wonders - probably should get around to changing my bulb too:) I'm also thinking it would do a lot of good to cover walls in panda foil.
Lots of things that could be done better...
Also switching to hydro has been on the list for a loooong time but being a little worried about root rot I've been staying with the soil I know.
I do hate getting rid of all of that soil - the cost of the soil is actually also larger than both the extra cost of nutes a hydro grow might bring and even larger than the setup costs for hydro on the long term.
A long term solution for soil would be to reuse - but I've tried it with pretty bad results. Perhaps it's just a matter of a few small things that should be corrected - like adding dolomite lime every time, amending with seawed extract and wormcastings etc... dunno. Definitely not a good idea just to reuse a peat based soil like the one I'm using without "repairing" it first.

Irie_Lion

Veteran
LOL yea u might wanna amend it and let it cook for a lil bit b4 u go and reuse it again! So u got about a 4x4 area just a tiny bit larger...im workin with a bout a 4x3.5 or so in my closet not too diff in size. I will try to post a shot of the room here shortly.

blackone

Veteran
I kinda have a dream to start an indoor wormfarm and reuse soil but I'm pretty sure Bio Grow and Bio Bloom doesn't have enough micronutrients for that to work out well.
3LB's method sounds promising - I'm pretty sure it's just one or 2 simple things I need to make it work - dolomite + kelp meal could possibly take care of PH, magnesium and micros I guess.

blackone

Veteran
Day 33

Day 33

Here we go - day 33, 3 weeks or perhaps a little less to go, depending on how they evolve.
10 liters for 20 plants every second day is not enough... so I'm also giving them a bit of pure water or light nute mix on the off days and today the most thirsty ones had pretty light pots - I'm happy they got a little drink.
Have to take out some of the pots to water the room:
picture.php

Sucks but I need the space to reach all of the plants. Also giving them a bit of quality time tying up when needed and removing old leaves:
picture.php

Oh yeah, reference plant:
picture.php

picture.php

As close as this camera will let me get to it, Citrus aroma is coming on strong now when touched:
picture.php

A couple of days after I took my clones for the next round I did a "what the heck" experiment with some small trimmings from the same motherplant. All have callous now and will probably root. No dome. 2/3 perlite and 1/3 potting soil. The larger clones shown earlier are mostly rooted into the jiffys now after 8 days. I expect to see roots coming through the jiffys pretty soon.
This seems like a damn good clone batch.. taking note of everything I did right this time.
picture.php

Irie_Lion

Veteran
Lookin good bro. They are really starting to pack on the flowers now. The closeup of the bud looks like its frosting up nice too I can almost smell the citrus from here. I gotta do the same thing when i water cuz its a closet set up and its the only way I can get to the back row of plants lol. Rather small trade off for some nice nugs though

blackone

Veteran
Thanks a lot for staying with me here Irie :) I guess not a lot of people are interested in seeing me growing Sweet Tooth for the umpteenth time, hehe. I hope my next grow of Double Strawberry Diesel will attract more visitors;p
No matter what I'm still gonna continue documenting this, because it really helps me getting to know a strain to have regular pics.

I'm pretty pleased with the buds my plants are putting out. Still I don't think It's gonna be 1g/W - but I do think this will be my best harvest to date. I attribute this to a good veg timing, not letting them dry out too much (only had a little droopy leaves on a few occasions) and not feeding them water instead of nutes because of being too stoned and laze to mic up a bucket...
Things I would do different if I wanted to do a 20 plant grow again would definitely be to use larger pots, and do even more trimming down below - perhaps waiting until the second week as some people do because it can be hard to identify the branches that will grow up to become nice nuggets before then.

robotwithdreams

Veteran
You have mentioned going the hydro route couple of times. I highly recommend reading up on utilizing coco. Not quite hydro but incredible results. Once you go coco,you will not ever consider soil mixs for indoor grows.

Latest posts

Latest posts