What's new

600w MH/HPS or LED grow lighting?

Rtaym224

Hello,
4’x4’ grow area 4 plants. Would prefer a 1000w hps/mh but can’t use that much power.

So it’s either a 600w MH/HPS or likely a very powerful overhead LED along with LED lighting to cover the sides of the plants.

During the summer I will need to use a portable ac, during the winter I will need space heaters.

Advantage to MH/HPS is I can probably make use the heat during the winter. Advantage to LED is not having to worry about such high temps in the summer. Thanks

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
i would go for leds and maybe the hps or leds + some small hps or a space heater in winter.

Three Berries

I have two 50 watt lights I run off a temp controller in the flower tent and one in the veg tent, to maintain a minimum temp and speed up the warm up time when the lights are on. Shuts off at 78fFIIRC, takes about 15 minutes to bring it up to temp. Then they cycle when the fan extracts too much and makes it too cold. This actually works good for high room and ambient humidity levels, +75%

Rtaym224

i would go for leds and maybe the hps or leds + some small hps or a space heater in winter.
Thanks.
I think I’ll go with just LEDs during summertime and during the winter I will run my LEDs with a HPS to avoid a space heater.

Maximum power I can bring to an overhead LED setup is 700-800 true watts. Maybe a little more

Is this a decent led light setup? The spider farmer se1000w led grow light? 3000+ LEDs

crimsonecho

4 x 4 area you don;t need more than 650W of good leds to handle that at perfect ppfd.
i find 450 is a good base for leds in a 4x4 anything under that is underpowered and 650 with co2 could work but over that you’ll not be able to use your lights effectively op, especially without co2 and a super dialed in environment.

so yeah buy a 1000w fixture but start driving them at 50% and adjust as you go.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I would go for a 650W-800W (maybe if you have plans to go to a bigger surface next). better get a more quality and efficent smaller one than a bigger one where you'll never use it on max..

crimsonecho

I would go for a 650W-800W (maybe if you have plans to go to a bigger surface next). better get a more quality and efficent smaller one than a bigger one where you'll never use it on max..
if you get a bigger one and underdrive it its gonna be more efficient than a 650w driven to its max.

the temps on the diodes will be better and the dimming will improve the lm/w thus umol/j.