What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

6 Bucket RDWC system 1K HPS Hydrohut

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ehy phatty I read the whole thread and for a first run you're doing a nice work:yes:
That dead path could be a K def. but if you're feeding them the right dose of K you should not add more to solve it.You need to find the why they don't absorb it.Try to take a look in the infirmary section,thread ''the garden saver'' it may can help you ;)

However you have a nice garden K+

:wave:

phattybudz

Thanks for chiming in guys!
@ Lebniis: Yep, just a bungie. It's not optimal in my case because it can't oscillate with that huge reflector in there... I have been pondering how to build a contraption in there to let it oscillate or just toss another fan in there on the other side but don't want another ~50 watts running really...

@ Noreason: Thanks for the suggestion, I really think it was due to my PH being too low (Floranova is unstable when first mixed, and I neglected to keep adding PH up the first couple days, it went down to 5.4 which isn't THAT low, but I think these strains reacted poorly to it. Next run that will be in check.

@InNv: They are way overvegged plants, they are at like 1.6 EC now and looking amazing/huge... I have just been upping the food when I see light green on tops since my PH and everything else is in check. Seems to be working ok for now in ebb n flow w/floranova grow. I even had to put in lower wattage lights to slow them down!

I am on day 45 now, I apologize for the shitty picture quality... Not sure how to compress and still keep it looking nice., things are about the same, going good but could be better. Also, I am 99% sure that my mystery OG cross is lemon skunkXog kush because of the smell and bud structure (had multiple possibilities from last round's hermies.. no herm traits on this girl though, got lucky! There was only ONE seed at the top of my og plant!) the smell is FUCKING amazing, it's mouthwatering... I can't even explain. too bad the buds aren't bigger, it is a FAST finisher though, could take it at 7 weeks but it's going 10! mwuahaha. Should be a couchlock master.

Ok on with the pics!

Veg ROOTS!!! And they still have 3.5 weeks lol...

Clockwise order: Bubblegummer, AK, bubblegummer, AK, chem4, Lemon og

Flower canopy day 45:

Lemon OG skunk:

Chem4!

My pics really don't do their frost justice...:(

phattybudz

Ah those are double-stacked 4'' rockwool cubes... a bit of an experiment really, roots just started busting out of the bottom of the first cubes so I plopped another one beneath each... they are doing great so far, even too good with my long veg period. Flooding 3X a day at 1.6 EC / 5.8 ph now.

I am considering going straight to hydroton baskets from 1.5'' rockwool though...I will see how these ones do in flower first though, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
yea ur shit is lookin nice some of the pics look like a k def but the burnt tips near the top look burnt either way looks like u got in under controle now and have some stanky resinous nugz. enjoy once u go dwc from soil u wont ever go back

phattybudz

Thanks reason and stoney!

It is definitely some sort of deficiency/lockout. I got a tip from hashzeppelin to monitor and adjust the ph for floranova very closely the first couple days after mixing a rez because it's unstable and dropped to 5.4 (I just adjusted every day or day and a half,) and I think the low ph is probably what locked stuff out.

I burned them right at the beginning of the transition stage when I switched to FN bloom at 1350ppm... I have been trying to follow the Lucas Formula addback method (thought about changing rez every week or two but my landlord directly pays my water bill, and I am a little worried about the weekly massive waste of water from the R/O filter I'm using.) Now considering using Maxibloom with tap water after reading through the KISS method thread in the nutrients subforum, I am leaning towards trying FNB again at least until I run out though.

For those of you unfamiliar:

http://medical-marijuanagrowing.com/tutorials/the-lucas-formula-t215.html

This is the important part I found to be a problem: "Test your fully mixed and pH'd res and you will get a ppm reading of around 950 (@.5 conversion) or 1400 (@.7 conversion). This is the nutrient level that you’re going to want to maintain throughout the grow. All you’re going to add are nutes occasionally to keep that ppm concentration constant."

Well I put them at 1350 and that burned the tips even though the ppms were steadily dropping (I had heard that if ppm was dropping or stable it's a good nute level, if it's raising it's too high.) So next time I will probably start them at 1200 or so instead...I guess my strains are lighter feeders than the majority? *Shrug...

They're looking nice but I'm unsure whether or not I'll hit my goal of an elbow+

More pics at the end of week 8 :D

phattybudz

Here is my veg finally transplanted into 10'' net-pot/bucket lids with hydroton (next round clones will go straight into bucket lids from 1.5'' rockwool cubes instead of double-stacking 4'' like I did this time...)

And here is day 58 flower (sorry for the hps, light was already on...)

Chem4 baby! UHhhh! Hoping the Pure AK or Bubblegummer gives me a similar yield in less time next round but for now this is the yield champ. I will continue to grow my lemon og skunk though because the smell is literally intoxicating; I fucking REEL everytime I pinch some sugar. Seriously the most amazing smelling plant I've ever encountered. It clearly doesn't yield as much but... this isn't all about weight now is it!?! It's about growing fucking DANK. I will take some macros of my beautiful accident next time lights are off.

Left them alone for 5 days on vacation btw lol... they are relatively healthy for the low amount of maintenance this system requires and my hydro-noob status...lots of clear deficiency/lockout symptoms but they're still getting frostier and fatter. Flush begins tomorrow!

phattybudz

Sorry for not posting harvest pics, I had a bunch but can't find the memory card (lol...I'm sure it's around here somewhere...)

I turned out pulling around 18 ounces and ~24 grams bubble hash, which is pretty good IMO considering it was my first time with this system and they weren't exactly healthy plants either... I threw up another circulating fan in there to hopefully avoid any bud-rot this time, I only lost ~5-7 grams this last run on a giant chemdawg cola.

Here are some nug shots and a picture of my next canopy before flip. I'm actually about 4 weeks in, I'll post up some good shots this weekend at the start of week 5.

That looks like some delicious medicine, nice work!! Did you say what brand of veg tent you went with? I am considering a cheapo ebay tent for veg as there will be no hanging weight (wood structure) , but am also worried about out gassing.. Keep up the beautiful grow!

phattybudz

Chemdawg 4 on top, lemon og skunk on bottom. They are both hot fire but the taste on the lemon og skunk is fucking amazing, like grape soda.

Goes to show you Floranova with no additives/boosters produces great taste and reasonable yield. Would have been much higher yield if I had kept them healthy I'm sure (not sure if it was a nutrient or ph issue, it's still occurring though... thinking about trying maxibloom I am running my veg on it and they seem happy.)

Thanks Rom, veg tent is a hydrohut silver, I have used 3 or 4 different kinds, and it is SERIOUSLY worth the extra money for a hydrohut because they are durable as fuck and don't off-gas. I love them.