What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

6/9 & A Pinch BayBay!

GonjaLove

The only real issue with setting up a drip is handling runoff. Once you have a system for dealing with it, the drip system will be the best decision you ever make. It will give you bigger, healthier plants, in less time, with smaller pots, and less media, as well as reduces your workload immensely. It is rather inexpensive to setup as well.

$15 for a 396 GPH pump
$20 for some poly hose and fittings
$15 timer
$10 rubbermaid bin for a rez.

The Eco Plus pumps are not the most reliable, but they get the job done just fine. $15 for a 396 GPH pump is a steal, so cheap that it's easy to have a few extras on deck just in case.

I just saw that u post this after I already did. its basically the same exact shit I wasnt copying tho lol I promise...I just got a new genie with all kinds of perks everywhere so...lol

LSWM

Can you give a quick chime on how your irrigation is set up? Looking for ideas as I have been hand watering daily as well.

1 tote per tray is how I started, but now I'm running 2 trays per tote, but the totes are topped from larger reservoirs, and I have a 1/2 inch ball valves to control the flow to each tray.

So let's keep it simple. One 18 gallon tote per tray. 4-6 plants per tray in ~2 gal pots (7-7.5 liter pots). 396 GPH pump to 1/2 inch PVC or compression tubing. 1/2 inch tubes to a regular 'ole 1/4 inch drip manifold, adjustable ones can be used, but aren't 100% necessary. 1/4 inch drip lines to each plant site with a 1/4 inch tee at each site. I anchor them with drip line stakes.

Only other note is each 1/4 inch line from the manifold needs to either be the same length, or you need an adjustable drip manifold. Again, this isn't 100% necessary, and when you begin multifeed DTW a little runoff on one plant, and none on the other isn't going to make much difference, so long as you do weekly flushes to ensure the ones not getting runoff get properly saturated and ensure nute build up doesn't occur.

I generally water once per day until I flip, or at least until they stall out from 1 watering per day. You don't want to begin multifeeds until they can actually use it. After that I start with 2 feeds per day, then a week later 3. By mid flower I normally am at 4 per day, and if the plants are getting REALLY big I'll add a 5th during lights off, but only a tiny one. You don't want to be over saturating the plants during their dark cycle or they will have no place to transpire the water to and you will end up with rot.

So here's a mock drip schedule. Your duration of watering will be different depending on how many sites you are watering, size of the pot, and your pump. None of my trays have the same cycle, it all varies.

Lights on @ 8 PM off @ 8 AM Full Flower Drip Schedule:

8 PM for 4 mins.
11 PM for 2 mins
2 AM for 2 mins
5 AM for 2 mins

If the plants are getting really massive as some I currently have flowering are... I will add a 1 min drip cycle in the middle of the dark cycle @ 2 PM.

LSWM

I just saw that u post this after I already did. its basically the same exact shit I wasnt copying tho lol I promise...I just got a new genie with all kinds of perks everywhere so...lol

No idea what you are talking about, but it's all good holmes!

GreeeeN GRassss

duppy conqueror
Veteran
ye i know lol i cant afford to get the equipment to run the drip systems. i just about got money together to get my bloom and micro today. man times are tough.

with hand watering i cant stay away over night which hampers my grows and delays my plans by quite a bit

indocult

"You cannot give reputation to the same post twice" :wave:

That last post is pretty spot on LSWM

I want to add to watch out and pay attention when you are getting more run off and they aren't drinking as much.

I have lost buds to stem rot from keeping watering 4-5 x when they were ready to be chopped. they stopped drinking as much, and I wasn't paying attention because it was multi strain, so the others were still drinking a lot.

I just kept saturating the ones that were done, and they ended up getting some rot.

Maybe this was my environment, but I just think it's good practice to pay attention and slow down at the end.

HHULKK

Wow I never realized that you can get away with smaller pumps. This whole time I was trying to go for little giants running 2 tables per. Makes sense how you can water for 1 minute plus durations. I will set something up with a smaller pump for my veg and see how it goes. Thanks guys!!

LSWM

Wow I never realized that you can get away with smaller pumps. This whole time I was trying to go for little giants running 2 tables per. Makes sense how you can water for 1 minute plus durations. I will set something up with a smaller pump for my veg and see how it goes. Thanks guys!!

The smaller the better honestly. Coco works wonderfully at distributing a slow flow, but if you water it too quickly it can run straight through.

Weeded1s

The smaller the better honestly. Coco works wonderfully at distributing a slow flow, but if you water it too quickly it can run straight through.

Not true the quicker the water the more oxygen induced. Also people flood 2 waiste all day long with coco and that would deff. not be considered a slow flow or a drip.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
ye i know lol i cant afford to get the equipment to run the drip systems. i just about got money together to get my bloom and micro today. man times are tough.

with hand watering i cant stay away over night which hampers my grows and delays my plans by quite a bit

If you're looking for cheap and effective. Can't beat jacks-calnit-epsom 3-2-1

GonjaLove

Not true the quicker the water the more oxygen induced. Also people flood 2 waiste all day long with coco and that would deff. not be considered a slow flow or a drip.

The goal of dtw is exactly what it says...to drain your medium and rid it of excess. The slower the better in coco. If you just dump water in its gonna just run straight thru and not help to flush out the excess. Your plants will get plenty of oxygen from normal waterings.

theother

350-400 gph is fine, I always figured around 5 gallons per lamp a day as far as solution. I have made the pico style drip manifolds out of top hat grommets and PVC, but I no longer trust PVC, maybe cpvc, but honestly, if there is some way you can bring yourself to toss the irrigation setup every couple runs you will be happy. Maybe try the 1/2 tube, I think it's like .40 a foot. I have never messed with them, but there are little 1/8th drippers that come in this ridged-ish piece of 1/8th tubing that can be stabbed into 1/2. Not positive in 1/8th tubing with salts though, seems like you may run into dripper failures. Has anyone done regular ridged 1/2 poly with the normal irrigation barb fittings? I see it leak in my garden under hose pressure, but pump pressure might work fine. That stuff is cheap too, no worries ditching it.

LSWM

The goal of dtw is exactly what it says...to drain your medium and rid it of excess. The slower the better in coco. If you just dump water in its gonna just run straight thru and not help to flush out the excess. Your plants will get plenty of oxygen from normal waterings.

:yeahthats

You will get plenty of oxygenation from slow feeds, and the media will be more evenly wetted this way as well. I'm sure there is a point of too slow of drip, though I haven't found it. I have plants that get watered twice a day for 10 mins outside, and they BARELY get dripped. I have however found if it's too quick you end up exposing roots in the top of the pots and the media doesn't get saturated as evenly.

If you're looking for cheap and effective. Can't beat jacks-calnit-epsom 3-2-1

I use RO, Jack's and CalNit, and never touch the Epsom. I OCCASIONALLY use some of Jack's pH adjuster which has some MagSulf in it, but RARELY. I haven't found a strain yet that disagrees.

Has anyone done regular ridged 1/2 poly with the normal irrigation barb fittings? I see it leak in my garden under hose pressure, but pump pressure might work fine. That stuff is cheap too, no worries ditching it.

I have and under pump pressure they don't normally leak. The issue I ran into was that they are easily bumped or dislodged ever so slightly and THEN they leak. I found running 1/2 poly tubing to a 1/2" comp + PVC/NPT fitting and using a 1/4" drip manifold solves this issue wonderfully.

EDIT: The only issue with this poly tubing I've found is it can come in different sizes, even though it says it's 1/2", so I have some tubing that won't fit the fittings I have and vice versa. My solution has been to just stuff a small piece of the smaller/larger tubing into the larger/smaller tubing and then use the appropriate fitting. No leaks so far doing this, at least under pump pressure. The poly seals itself pretty well. I use it as my drainage as well. Hooked up to 1/2" bulkhead fittings and small totes.

81YGWsHwGHL._SL1500_.jpg
cfp700_1.jpg
41ZCEAMGBJL.jpg

Last edited:

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
:yeahthats

I use RO, Jack's and CalNit, and never touch the Epsom. I OCCASIONALLY use some of Jack's pH adjuster which has some MagSulf in it, but RARELY. I haven't found a strain yet that disagrees.

jacks has a descent ammount of mag and my friend that runs a rock based hydro medium doesnt use the epsom either. he runs an equal size scoop of jacks and calnit. i have been using epsom on the advice of people in coco swearing by that 321 ratio. ive been getting nice growth. i am curious about dropping it. whats your jacks to calnit ratio?

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
do you ever go higher?
ive been staying under 1.3 but this round my plants are asking for more in my maxibloom room. the runoff at 1.2 total ec feed with mb and 3mils pergal calnit was coming off at .9 with pretty even ph on my gorilla glue. it was coming back 1.0- 1.1 on the og kush and pretty even 1.3 with my gsc. the visual on them was corresponding too. the glues and og looked more deficient than the gsc .now they are greening up. i bumped last night to 1.5.
the jacks room looks proper at 1.2-1.3 right now. runoff on those is equal to feed.

LSWM

do you ever go higher?
ive been staying under 1.3 but this round my plants are asking for more in my maxibloom room. the runoff at 1.2 total ec feed with mb and 3mils pergal calnit was coming off at .9 with pretty even ph on my gorilla glue. it was coming back 1.0- 1.1 on the og kush and pretty even 1.3 with my gsc. the visual on them was corresponding too. the glues and og looked more deficient than the gsc .now they are greening up. i bumped last night to 1.5.
the jacks room looks proper at 1.2-1.3 right now. runoff on those is equal to feed.

Nope I really don't. I stay under 1.3/1.4. pH going in is usually ~5.5. My runoff normally comes out ~1.5-2.0 or so and pH closer to 6.5-7. I don't really monitor it though either. My drainage buckets are plumbed out of the room and hold a little bit in the bottom of them so the higher readings and pH could be do to evaporation and stagnant nutes not actually running off out of the drainage buckets.

I'm running a recirculating PPK in Coco that is a single site and it's been getting the exact same mix + occasional RO top offs. Haven't done a res change in ~2 months. Currently giving everything Floralicious Plus this round as well. Been using it consistently in the reservoir.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Currently giving everything Floralicious Plus this round as well.

Talk about misleading name advertising and that stuff takes the cake.
Should be called pigshitalicious or skunkassalicious:biggrin: Only nute I know that smells worse is Dark Energy.

LSWM

Talk about misleading name advertising and that stuff takes the cake.
Should be called pigshitalicious or skunkassalicious:biggrin: Only nute I know that smells worse is Dark Energy.

Definitely funks up the res... Plants don't seem to mind though. It certainly seems to increase growth, and elongate stems/nugs.

Miraculous Meds

do you ever go higher?

Maybe up the amount of times u feed. that's an alternative to adding more nutrients, if the medium can