What's new

5000 barrels a day of oil (210,000 gallons) leak off the coast of Louisiana

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
What do you think what happens with the fish, shrimp, tourist industry etc when another disaster occurs because of the offshore drilling.The oil companies don't even have the expertise or the means to deal with this kind of disasters.You're talking about the loss of jobs in the offshore industry because of the suspending, but the loss of jobs right now in several industries is greater than that you can imagine.It is about time to stop with oil and related products.
It is NOT time to stop. I know many of you think we can simply stop, or attempt to stop, but that is only ignorant thinking.

And it has been years and years since this sort of accident has happened. A VERY good track record from the most regulated industry in the world. And it looks like this incident actually involves some cut corners, and shoddy work...coupled with regulators who are apparently not regulating according to the set up procedures.
Other companies testified last week that they would not do things the way BP did on the DWH rig.
This was an accident, and you folks are trying to use it as an excuse to be rid of oil. It isn't going to happen, not can it.
Your emotions are overriding your good senses.
Should we shut down all coal mines when an explosion occurs?
Should we suspend all highway driving when a van of 12 people are wiped out in a second by a semi?
Look, my analysis may seem harsh, but it is spot on. Folks simply are not using their heads for more than to fester unfounded hatred.
Hell, Obama knows this and is why he is pushing for a carbon tax scheme in the midst of all this while folks...just like you folks...who are in a tizzy and have their militant hats on, and will buy just about anything that serves their vigilante appetites.

No, it is NOT time to stop anything, accept for the unclear thinking people do.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Indeed it is how more disasters like this do we need to realize

But there is too much money involved

Not to mention that you would not be able to handle life without it.
I do not want to live without it until we have a replacement.
Now, you smart people figure something out...hell, you are bright enough to have all the answers here, yes?

Hey, and just how many of these friggen disasters have we had? Get good grip, because you are losing it. It has been 60 years since such an event. But I am sure you remember that one and were thinking the same thing then, yes?

THC123

Veteran

luckily not everyone thinks like that, cuz else there never would be change

Now, you smart people figure something out...hell, you are bright enough to have all the answers here, yes?

well taking many steps back would hurt , and throw the world into chaos , but then again our way of life isn't sustainable imo

I do not want to live without it until we have a replacement.

i see , well that is the big difference ,

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Platitudes, and no substance.

See, the thinking you are advocating says "hey, lets just stop this shit now". Clear thinking knows that only the truly brilliant of our societies figure out alternatives and make them work, and they don't simply throw the world into chaos by abandoning what makes it turn.

But, perhaps you aren't a hypocrite? Maybe you are ready to give up anything and everything oil related today? Of course you will be running around looking for food before too long, but hey..the world will last so much longer, yes?

THC123

Veteran
But, perhaps you aren't a hypocrite? Maybe you are ready to give up anything and everything oil related today? Of course you will be running around looking for food before too long, but hey..the world will last so much longer, yes?

yes and i would suffer , i know ,making sure i would have food would be a full time job

And yes the world would last longer indeed and life for us wouldn't be pretty like now , but it would be pretty for all other life

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
but it would be pretty for all other life
And you know this, how?
You don't think we would lose species if we simply went back to cave man? Nothing is dependent on man these days, is it?
Although I know that the evil human is trying to kill some sort of minnow in CA, which is why we need to shut off the water supply to the farmers. No way can their existences be justified over the minnows.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Obama makes a knee-jerk reaction and suspends offshore drilling. Which puts many, many people out of work. But hey, these bastards are trying to feed their families by working for the exploiters of our planet, yes? Who really cares if they are going to be hit with hard times, I mean hey...they are murders, yes?

Yep, makes it tough for the American people to pay off the disaster tab.

E

elmanito

It is NOT time to stop. I know many of you think we can simply stop, or attempt to stop, but that is only ignorant thinking.

And it has been years and years since this sort of accident has happened. A VERY good track record from the most regulated industry in the world. And it looks like this incident actually involves some cut corners, and shoddy work...coupled with regulators who are apparently not regulating according to the set up procedures.
Other companies testified last week that they would not do things the way BP did on the DWH rig.
This was an accident, and you folks are trying to use it as an excuse to be rid of oil. It isn't going to happen, not can it.
Your emotions are overriding your good senses.
Should we shut down all coal mines when an explosion occurs?
Should we suspend all highway driving when a van of 12 people are wiped out in a second by a semi?
Look, my analysis may seem harsh, but it is spot on. Folks simply are not using their heads for more than to fester unfounded hatred.
Hell, Obama knows this and is why he is pushing for a carbon tax scheme in the midst of all this while folks...just like you folks...who are in a tizzy and have their militant hats on, and will buy just about anything that serves their vigilante appetites.

You still thinks that there is no replacement for the oil products.I did not write with my emotions, but know that things like this have to stop.You totally don't have a clue what the oil companies had been doing all those years.Every source of alternative energy has been blocked by these oil companies because of the big buck.

Namaste :plant grow: :canabis:

Some more tidbits...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100619/ap_on_bi_ge/us_gulf_oil_spill

As oil spews in Gulf, BP chief at UK yacht race
By RAPHAEL SATTER, Associated Press Writer Raphael Satter, Associated Press Writer 36 mins ago

LONDON – In what one environmentalist described as "yet another public relations disaster" for embattled energy giant BP, CEO Tony Hayward took time off Saturday to attend a glitzy yacht race around England's Isle of Wight.

As social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook lit up with outrage, BP spokespeople rushed to defend Hayward, who has drawn withering criticism as the public face of BP's halting efforts to stop the worst oil spill in U.S. history.

Spokeswoman Sheila Williams said Hayward took a break from overseeing BP efforts to stem the undersea gusher in Gulf of Mexico so he could watch his boat "Bob" participate in the J.P. Morgan Asset Management Round the Island Race. The 52-foot yacht is made by the Annapolis, Maryland-based boatbuilder Farr Yacht Design.

The annual one-day race is one of the world's largest, attracting more than 1,700 boats and 16,000 sailors as world-renown yachtsmen compete with wealthy amateurs in the 50-nautical mile course around the island.

Robert Wine, a BP spokesman at the company's Houston headquarters, said it was the first break that Hayward has had since the Deepwater Horizon rig exploded April 20, killing 11 workers and setting off the undersea oil gusher.

"He's spending a few hours with his family at a weekend. I'm sure that everyone would understand that," Wine said Saturday. "He will be back to deal with the response. It doesn't detract from that at all."

Wine described the race as "one of the biggest sailing events in the world and he's well known to have a keen interest in it."

He said Hayward will be returning to the United States, though it's unclear when.

Still, hobnobbing with millionaires and their yachts is likely to be a hard sell in the Gulf, which is struggling to deal with up to 120 million gallons of oil that have escaped from the blown-out well. Oil has been washing up along the Gulf Coast from Louisiana to Florida, killing birds and fish, coating delicate marshes and wetlands and covering pristine beaches with tar balls.

Hayward already angered many in the U.S. when he was quoted in the Times of London as suggesting that Americans were particularly likely to file bogus claims. He later shocked residents in Louisiana by telling them that no one wanted to resolve the crisis as badly as he did because "I'd like my life back."

A pair of relief wells that won't be done until August is the best bet to stop the massive spill. By late June, the oil giant hopes it can keep nearly 90 percent of the flow from the broken pipe from hitting the ocean.

Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen says a newly expanded containment system is capturing or incinerating more than 1 million gallons (3.8 million liters) of oil daily, the first time it has approached its peak capacity.

Just minutes after reports about Hayward emerged Saturday, the issue became a hot topic on social networking sites, with people on Twitter passing along the news and reacting to it every few seconds. Some comments called the move "mindboggling" while others noted he had gotten his life back — while Gulf residents had not.

British environmental groups immediately slammed Hayward's outing. Charlie Kronick of Greenpeace said Hayward was "rubbing salt into the wounds" of Gulf residents whose livelihoods have been wrecked by the disaster.

"Clearly it is incredibly insulting for him to be sailing in the Isle of Wight," he said.

Hugh Walding of Friends of the Earth said Hayward's choice of venue was sure to arouse anger.

"I'm sure that this will be seen as yet another public relations disaster," Walding said.

On Thursday, Hayward told lawmakers on a U.S. House investigations panel that he was out of the loop on decisions surrounding the blown well. Both Democrats and Republicans were infuriated when he asserted, "I'm not stonewalling."

The next day, BP Chairman Carl-Henric Svanberg seemed to suggest that Hayward was being withdrawn from the front line of the oil spill response, although his comments were later qualified.

"It is clear that Tony has made remarks that have upset people," Svanberg told Sky News television, adding that Hayward was "now handing over" daily operations to BP Managing Director Bob Dudley.

Williams said Svanberg was misunderstood and that only a transition to Dudley, an American with 30 years in the oil business, had begun.

"Hayward is very much in charge until we've stopped the leak," she told the AP on Saturday.

Wine said "there's not a hard and fast date" on when Dudley will be completely in charge.

It was not clear whether Hayward actually took part in Saturday's race or attended as a spectator. Williams said Hayward was there with his son. A British news agency took a picture of what it thought was Hayward on the yacht that he owns with other investors, but BP would not confirm that it was Hayward.

Peta Stuart-Hunt, a press officer for the event, said Hayward "wasn't listed on any of the crew list."

"If he is on the boat, he's in contravention of the rules," she said.

Hayward's boat finished fourth in its class. This year's attendees at Isle of Wight race included British Olympic gold medal sailor Ben Ainslie.

___

Associated Press Writers Ramit Plushnick-Masti and Ray Henry contributed to this report from New Orleans.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
el, it may be true about DuPont blocking hemp production way back when, but the oil companies hardly have a lock on alternative energy sources. I don't recall them holding back any wind turbines, or solar panels...but then those aren't really viable sources of replacement energy.

There is only one viable source that we could look at, and that is nuclear.
Maybe the oil industry has a lock on nuclear power that I am unaware of...do you have more info?

You know, the US Gov put out a solicitation last week for the purchase of hydrogen generator filling stations.
Now, at first glance this sounds great...but then we add math to the mix and reality sets back in.

S

Smoke Buddy

There is no magical green economy that will replace the carbon economy AT THIS TIME. The problem is, these grandiose ideas of Obamas and many others to shitcan oil and tax carbon will simply drive us into the stone age. There is nothing else in the bag that you can economically power vehicles with AT THIS TIME because the technology is not there yet. Virtually every alternative costs so much more to use that it would destroy entire industries and this is NOT the time to put even more people out of work. The reason they were drilling so deep is due to environmentalists in the first place and now they TRY to blame it on drill baby drill. The president seems to think we are deep because we have used up all out easy targets. Thats basically what he said in his speech and that is a pure fuking LIE. This guys agenda is driving our national non-response to the disaster which again should be CRIMINAL!
Then you have the president making incredibly stupid decisions like NOT suspending the Jones act to get help right away, making the disaster multiply in damage done. We have no idea how bad this can get and the POTUS still wont accept help from many other nations that asked to help on day 3. Why would he NOT suspend? Because its a UNION PROTECTION LAW. Thats his baby. This is absolutely CRIMINAL!

Azeotrope

Veteran
Change is hard for people to accept even when needed. Yes, certain industries would be killed off in a hard and fast attempt to get off of oil. People would lose their jobs. Too bad in my book. Those folks obviously have no sense of the negative affects of what their industry(s) is/are doing and or they don't care. Pretty selfish.

I grew up in an area that was famous for it's natural wonders. Western Washington. Due to industry and pollution, the sport fishing is crap and the forests clear-cut for $$$$$. The air is thick and colored with fossil fuel exhaust. It sucks! The Pueget Sound is an uderwater wasteland due to industrial dredging and the water polluted with the by-products of fossil fuel sources used for machinery and nautical vehicle fuel.

F*&^ people who work in the contributing industries. Time to reeducate them in scientific fact and retrain them in new cleaner technologies.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Smoke Buddy,... spot fucking on analysis.

Azeotrope, too bad huh? Well, you divest yourself of all items oil related and then get back to us. What you are is a hypocrite talking more platitudes.
They harvest the oil because YOU demand it. You want it, you use it, you MUST HAVE IT, so they provide it.

Azeotrope

Veteran
Before you folks start throwing back at me..... The industry that I work in has a lot of customers that consume huge quantities of energy. Years ago, I took the initiative of developing/twisting my talents to help them reduce consumption very significantly. In the area of 25 - 35% on natural gas and electrical draw. I have never been in more demand or more busy. It is personally very satisfying as well. So don't tell me that we can't be trending heavily in the right direction or that going green doesn't create jobs like some promise. Don't tell me that the tech doesn't exhist! Don't think the displaced oil workers couldn't be re-applied.

The only limits I currently see are $$$$ driven by the marriage of large fossil fuel and industry with the right wing nut jobs and even some 'so-called' lefties.

Edit/Addition: I do the best I can @ work and at home. If everyone else made similar efforts, the cumulative effects would be enormous.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Anybody talking green is making sense, plain and simple. There might be enough oil to keep it around for parts of industry that isn't green-able. Doesn't mean the rest of us have to burn the nasty stuff.

weedobix

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The stuff about the methane gas lake is really scary, looks like quite a bit of America could be subject to a tsunami amongst other things. Theres evidence of methane fissures already around the wellhead, if that goes, say bye bye.:hide:

Azeotrope

Veteran
That link was good for a laugh.

Let me go mentally unstable too.....Hmmm Oh yeah, GWB took out the towers. He planned it, ordered it and saw it through.

Come-on where the bulbs are produced has nothing to do with the green movement or communism. That page just illustrates how sad it is that the large oil and fossil fuel producers control sooo much of this country, that any industry that would want to produce something that reduces the use of fossil fuels is shot down here.

Status
Not open for further replies.