What's new

5 Strain Grow Diary-5gal bubble buckets

I have been using 5 gal buckets for a few months now and feel comfortable enough to start kickin it up a notch.

Ive been growing this strain I'm calling "Awake". I cant tell the real genetics as the guy I got it from doesnt even know it. He called it the Purp cause of the beautiful colors you get from the flowers. I'm looking at a nug right now and I see some purple, but more like lavender and mango oranges. Anyway, I took the mothers and threw those bitches into flower because I've had the plants for awhile and I want to have smaller mothers. I took 20 clones from 2 plants. The high this plant gets you is kinda creeper, but its intense and yet not a couchlock kinda high. As my sig says, I like to ride my scooter whilst blazed up on this. It takes 8-10 weeks to flower it out and im on week 8 of my almost done plant.

As for the other 4 strains, they are these: (btw I got 2 clones of each)
Sour Bubble:I had asked my guy to give me some quick flowering strains that knock you out and he gave me this. Apparently its 7 weeks to flower? Is this correct?
Sour Diesel:My favorite out of all of his strains, and his too. Its so fucking funky but he tells me its a 12 week flower time. This is outrageous! just kidding but really...
Jack and Jill: He tells me its Jack Herer mixed with something else.... I'm assuming something from MzJill, anyone have any info on this? He told me 7-8 weeks on this
Tasty: We dont know if this is the correct name, but it sure as fuck is tasty, and its apparently Northern Lights X Haze. He told me to flower this for 9 weeks.

So those are my five strains. As of today I was seeing roots in both of the Sour Bubble cubes so one went into the bucket and another went into some Happy Frog to make a new smaller mother. All of my clones are 11 days old today. :)

BTW its 420 am and I need to take a puff and go to bed.
Ill post pics as soon as i can get a memory card to transfer the info.

l8r

I had all but both tasty clones and a jack and jill and a sour diesel root off, so I have three soon to be mother plants under the 400w hps. I saw the first root from my sour bubble hanging down. It makes me happy to see a baby taking to its new home. I think the next one will be sour diesel (with its horrendous flowing time)

Just wanted to update

The next up was a Jack and Jill. Into the bucket with that one.

BTW, I switched my cloning method to a bubbler I made from some tupperware and some foam padding my mom had from doing some kind of kids floor in a house somewhere, She had some scraps so I experimented. It's simply amazing, I'm totally sold on this new method. I even made a little baby one that will hold two clones and I'm taking it to my genetics supplier to let him try it out. He uses those rubbery plug things and also just plain coco. Even tho hes been growing for ten years hes starting to pick my brain over my buckets and it makes me happy that I can answer his questions. Also he told me today that the strain I have that I call "Awake" and he calls "Purp", he has never been able to make flowers as pretty as the ones I made. I'm quite stoked about this. Its like the 6th plant I harvested using my buckets and they keep getting better every time I finish one. People are telling me that I smell like chronic when I walk into a room with it in a jar. Its taking one hit to feel a major effect and I'm pretty pleased with it at this point.

QUESTION: If I have a 6x5 area and I want to fill it with plants spaced 2 feet apart (4sq ft per plant), how tall should I let a plant grow and will it be possible in a DWC (as i hear they are hard to make single stalk)

I finally have one clone of each strain in a dwc bucket with very little roots except on my first plant (Awake) and the sour bubble, which is looking quite thick and hearty.

I also have one clone of each strain in a small growing cup to make new mothers and I've actually taken some clones, just so I can develop a bushy mother basically. I am thinking that I will be putting my largest plant into flower soon. (I actually have 3 of the Awake plants in flower right now but Im not documenting those in this thread.

For anyone that is wondering, I am attempting SOG with my buckets. I am considering moving to 3 gal buckets instead of the 5 gal ones i have because I dont want to grow my plants 5 feet high, I'm thinking more like 2 feet then flower; like a sea of lolipops in their own 3 gal bubble buckets.

I recently purchased some GH Koolbloom and am using it after trying out some chaching. The guy at the local grow shop convinced me I didnt want to spend a hundred bucks on the fox farm 3 part additive and instead recommended I stick with my GH 3part with diamond nectar and add on the koolbloom. Is this stuff just nutrients? Anyone agree with him? I keep my ppm at around 1900 after having 300ppm tap water. Should I bump the ppm up?

I'll really do my best to get some pics up soon, just not too much is exciting right now.

dang hydrosun! me likey. none of my plants so far were as gorgeous as your girls, but im still blaming genetics as the only other experience i have growing was in soil and the nugs were BLADOW! I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Here are my new mother plants, starting left to right AWAKE, Jack and Jill, Sour Diesel, Sour Bubble, and Tasty.

This one is my Sour Bubble. Shes doing great in the bucket. I have high hopes for her, the stem is already thicker than a #2 pencil!

Here is the veg room, the big one is my Awake plant. Ive been bending his top a lot to even out his spread. the other four are the other four genetics.

And this is the veg room door. Don't mind the powerstrip, it goes to all the accessory electronics in the room like the cfls for clones and the fans. lol

My clones in their little bubbler under 5xcfl 6500k ( i dont know the wattage, more than enough, but still just a reg light

here is my canopy of Awake. thats one dwc and two 100% organic mothers (i will charge a premium to my friends for the 100% organic plants i make for they will be a rare commodity)

and the bottoms of the three in flower (even tho im not officially documenting these three i figured everyone likes to see new pics)
The two in soil look like bonzai trees cause I kept forcing them to grow in funky ways, then id stop for a month or two and repeat. the poor girls have been through a lot (they spent like 3 months in cups at first till i got more soil to replant them and a real 400w hps to veg under)

Last edited:

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
I see the buckets it is now only a matter of time until your trees start! Please tell me you don't have your light on the same breaker as all the other spaghetti nonsense!

Peace, :joint:

Last edited:

This is my grow room, the 3x4 area is for mothers and clones, the 6.5x5.5 area is for flowering, do you still think i should stick with 5 gal? i want to harvest one plant every week (approx) and the flowering times on my plants are not all the same

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
I think 1Kw use this ballast, this hood, this bulb. I am using these to cover appx 5' x 5', but these hoods are massive and you'll be amazed.

These are top of the line, run them on your 220 line with a 5 gal bucket per lady, 4 lady max. My room with this set up has two 5 gals per light.

I pulled between 12 - 16oz per plant under lame 750's with 3 year old bulbs. The guys around hear talk about two lbs per light. Let's get your light and you'll get the 2lbs.

This morning i looked at the plants and fr the first time i saw symptoms of thrips for what they were nd closely inspected all my plants and indeed found thrips. Im pretty broke and all i have is some pyrethrins so i doused all my veg plants in it and all my clones. The flower plants didnt seem to have any symptoms. I hope this cures it and I wont havge to resort to more drastic measures.

I'll probably have to get some of that insect spray. I have a few bugs left :( Luckily I dont have that much soil :)

SPEAKING FROM EXPERIENCE: Don't quit your job a week before you first start harvesting in a SOG unless you have an ULTIMATE DEDICATION towards it. You lose two weeks and it can fuck you. Bless my woman for working and letting me stay home and play video games and read on forums all day long(she really is the most wonderful woman in the world)

Quick question:Will sulfur clouds kill insects or just bacteria?

I

idoreallytry

hey man i had thirps and i got some safeguard from walmart,,,sprayed them two times,,,after that i spread diatomaceous earth on the media (dry) it is not effectie wet,,,so water them go back in awhile and then spread the DE righ on top pls its good for roots,,,i am no pro but it worked for me so i am speaking from first hand experience,,peace

One thing is good will be happening soon. My current extra roommate will be moving far away and I will be using his room to have my grow operation in. :) The closet is a walk in and its plenty big enough to veg in. I saw a dumpster down the alley with a cheap plastic safe (like a toy, but still water and air tight) that i can use as my cloner. I'll be all over that shit tonight, i think i saw some blue tarps too.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Alright! If you are going to "Make Dad Proud", quit dumpster diving and pimp out that new room. It is time to grow 16oz+ trees, why the hell would we want to be cheap and save a few dollars.

As an example Rapid Rooters are $.25 per unit and lets assume Rock Wool is free, well dumbass Hydrosun went cheap and started cloning in RW. My sucess rate droped from 99.5% to 90% and the clone development was about half the speed.

Long story short SPEND the money on your ladies and they'll repay you with extra OUNCES of the best stuff in the world.

PS I have two Aussie Blues (90% sativa under 1Kw) only one week into flower, but I'm supper happy (the dirt plant from seed should be ready in two weeks) check out the thread in my sig.