What's new

5 best METAL bands of all time.

H

heavy dank nugg

metallica w/cliff burton

Black Sabbath

motorhead

Piledriver

man o war - first 4 albums - joey demao demao, we are the kids that all shout hail <-- name the meta band that wrote this line about man o war and win a prize

I wanna say saxon but im not 100% from denim and leather. and i wanna say accept too. for some reason

bens lab

Rage win the best rap metal band on account of every other rap metal band ever being utterly shit. They're good but rinsed to death.

I'm not really a metalhead but I do like pantera, sabbath, sepultura.

Big D

icmagic
Veteran
Wow very hard to pick!

Sabbath
Maiden
Metallica
Slayer
Pantera

And one honorable mention. One of my favs.

Corrosion of Conformity

H

heavy dank nugg

OHHH OK THERE BUDDY. JUST LETTIN YA KNOW YOU AINT THE ONLY ONE SHOUTIN OUT THE LATE 80'S HARDCORE. ...even if it is a metal thread.

Big D

icmagic
Veteran
I ain't your BUDDY! I thought you deleted your account... what happened?

EDIT:One of the first punk/metal fusion bands, Corrosion of Conformity (C.O.C. for short) were formed in North Carolina by guitarist Woody Weatherman during the early '80s. In their early years, C.O.C. became known for their aggressive sound, intelligent political lyrics, and willingness to break away from both hardcore and metal conventions. In the '90s, their shift to a more stripped-down, deliberate sound -- sort of Black Sabbath filtered through the Deep South -- brought them enough in line with the alternative metal zeitgeist to bring them a measure of mainstream popularity

http://www.starpulse.com/Music/Corrosion_of_Conformity/Biography/

N

NOYB

I remember seeing Black Sabbath back in like '78(?) and they were great. The warm up band was Van Halen on their first tour. The show was one of the better I have seen.

Pretty much stopped with the music thing in the early 80's so 'missed' a lot of bands. I do remember the Scorpions though and were pretty old school.

Burt

Veteran
fates warning
watchtower
metallica
testament
megadeth
chris poland's return to metalopolis has to be pimped too

NateDizz

whatever troll, they have some serious pick sweeping, personally im not even a metal guy, but DF shreds

I'm not a troll, just someone who has been an enthusiast and practioner of metal guitar for the past 10-12 years. And anyone who knows a thing or two about guitar knows that DragonForce are quite silly.

Their "serious" sweep picking is actually quite basic. They rely on basic arpeggios made up of simple shapes and then they throw in a tap or two for good measure to fool casual listeners who don't really know what they're listening to into thinking they're "serious." Then they recycle it over and over, changing a note or two here and changing key there, to make you think they arn't only fast but have a wide range of ability. Sadly they are a one trick pony. Their compositional skills are elementary at best.

The only thing impressive about their work is the speed, and when you've practiced the same 10-15 tired licks over and over for years and years, it's not hard to get there. There are countless people who are not only faster, but just infinitely better in every aspect of the instrument. And have you ever seen their live show? They can't even play their own music without the aid of studio magic and that's quite sad.

DragonForce are a gimmick and are only appealing to all the Guitar Heros out there, not anyone who actually plays a guitar and knows a thing or two about it. I really don't care if that's what you enjoy, it's just sad and sickening to hear people talk as if these guys are masters at what they do.

If you're genuinely interested in technical metal with "serious sweeping" than DragonForce is not where you should be looking. You've mentioned Yngwie and that's a good start. A clean and proficient player who is actually a master of his instrument. A musical genious with many many great compositions.

NateDizz

Check out guys like Michael Romeo, Rusty Cooley, Michael Angelo Batio, Paul Gilbert, Vinnie Moore, Ron Jarzombek, Marcel Coenen, George Bellas, Tony MacAlpine, or Chris Broderick and go from there! All amazing guitarists covering all different styles of metal.

H

heavy dank nugg

no mention of Satch (Joe Satriani) or Steve VÍ you could even go as far to say George Lyncn or Warren DeMartini if yer just talking guitar

Latest posts

Latest posts