What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

(5) 26w 6400k CFL vs (1) MH 400w 4000k

High grade yute

Hey guys i want some opinions plz asap. I currently have a 400w,4000k MH conversion bulb running on an HPS Ballast system for my veg. I hav 6 clones in a DWC hydro system about 2 wks old. My temp in there hovers around 90F and humidtiy around 60%. I am contemplating switching out the 400w MH for 4/5 26w 6400k CFLs. Im thinking this would lower my temp to a more favourable one and the colour temp of the cfls is better suited for veg. I would appreciate any thoughts, ideas or comments that will better my situation. thanx

stoneroad

are you cooling it with fans and or ac? what els you got for a set up man and that temp is so high im suprised as shit you still have plants remove the MH now and watch the temps drop a bit then maybe add some more Cfls also a little drop in Humidity 55% would be fair i say plus check your water temps ph ec ppm.

a little fyi on the CFL's...I found this info else where on IC...this is a good combo for bulbs.
imo for veggin...i just stick to CFL's for temp and they aren't there long anyways...save the good lighting for flowering.

Vegging
3:1 Ratio -
--3 - Blue 5000 Kelvin +
--1 - Red 2700 Kelvin -

Flowering
2:1 Ratio -
--2 - Blue 5000 Kelvin +
--1 - Red 2700 Kelvin -

E

Elcap

You're going to swap out 400w of HID for 105w of CFL?
Ummm, no. Not if you want any kind of yield and dense, fat buds anyway.

Do you have an HPS bulb (they run cooler than MH)? If so, I'd stick that in and see how your temps do first (you ARE running at night since you have heat issues right? right?!) and only resort to CFLs if you can't get temps manageable.

HPS is usually (there are a few exceptions) quite a bit more efficient than MH and for the same wattage produces less heat and more lumens. And color spectrums aside, the simple fact of having 4x as much wattage and likely 6-8x more lumens will mean that the HID setup destroys the flos on yield.

High grade yute

ok my grow room is a closet that is 2 ft 11 deep, 3 ft 3 wide and 6 ft 6 high. I have two oscillating fans blowing in (no door on closet) and 1 exaust type fan to blow hot air out. I would hav loved to use an HID but this one that I have as stated b4 is 4000k which, correct me if Im wrong, mite b more trouble than its worth being a neutral colour.

I do hav an HPS bulb that I wasnt using bcuz the colour temp is not suited for veg, but elcap ur saying that I would be better off usin the hps rather than the cfls if the heat isnt as bad as the MH?

stoneroad

think of your 400w or whatever size bulb you have as a heater so you have to vent 400watts of heat out of the space 54 cubic feet and a simple door with a few holes cut in it pumping in cool air and exhausting hot is a good idea ill throw some pics up of mine. here in a min you'll like it ive got 88cf of space and these temps are sitting pretty.

stoneroad

picture.php

here is my carbon filter minus out take fan its in the mail
picture.php

here is my intake pumping cool cool ac minus the filter and intake fan also in the mail
picture.php

crappy but awsome ac unit i can go as low as 62f and thats from 90f with 85% humidity i got more pics in my gallery for the rest of my rdwc set up

High grade yute

the thing is i dont hav much money to purchase new equipt. Im seeing some used a/c units for sale in my area but nuttin to fit the window in my room. is there any way i can buy one of those and fix it up sumhow to exaust the hot air out the back through the window?