What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

4th grow in Promix - I still suck - Help

Jonnysact

awesome man, so glad to see this worked out for you! Hope you didn't mind me taking advantage of this thread to soak up the advice as well hehehe
Stick with Chimera and Bwanabuds advice dude, the results are right there.
I know I'm paying much more attention to my runoff now and I sent my well water to Kamloops to get tested in a lab ;)

Don't mind at all! Glad you could get some help from it.

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
that plant is still hungry. needs more mag. add epsom salt 1tsp per gallon or top dress with some dolomite lime. it acts a little faster if you dissolve it in water as much as you can.

There is no sign of Mg deficiency in the new growth, not sure what you are looking at there PBH.

Good fix Jonnysact, they bounced back. Like Tom said, keep an eye on the runoff and you should be smooth sailing from here on out.

Hopefully learned from your experience here and see how easy it is to fix a simple pH issue if you follow some basic steps and principles. Thanks for the final photo, now I can sleep at night...

-Chimera

Jonnysact

Haha, I just wanted to reassure you that your time and efforts to help me were not wasted. I do appreciate your continued support through this learning experience and hope that this thread can help serve others like me who are struggling to get a good grow.

I am happy to say, though, that my coco babies are doing absolutely wonderfully. I've never had leaves and their veins stay green before, let alone the main stalk! It's quite amazing to see after a year of nothing but purple! :D

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
There is no sign of Mg deficiency in the new growth, not sure what you are looking at there PBH.

Good fix Jonnysact, they bounced back. Like Tom said, keep an eye on the runoff and you should be smooth sailing from here on out.

Hopefully learned from your experience here and see how easy it is to fix a simple pH issue if you follow some basic steps and principles. Thanks for the final photo, now I can sleep at night...

-Chimera

/headscratch

the mag def doesn't show in new growth it shows in old growth. as in all those greenish yellow fan leaves near the bottom of the plant. that's where you see mag def first.

Chimera

Veteran
Haha, I just wanted to reassure you that your time and efforts to help me were not wasted. I do appreciate your continued support through this learning experience and hope that this thread can help serve others like me who are struggling to get a good grow.

I am happy to say, though, that my coco babies are doing absolutely wonderfully. I've never had leaves and their veins stay green before, let alone the main stalk! It's quite amazing to see after a year of nothing but purple! :D

Your harvest will be leaps and bounds better this round if you can manage the pH throughout the cycle. This is really one of the most important skills as a grower, learning how your choices impact pH. It's good to see you on the right track, definitely worth the effort taking the time to share a lesson seeing you with green growth.

/headscratch

the mag def doesn't show in new growth it shows in old growth. as in all those greenish yellow fan leaves near the bottom of the plant. that's where you see mag def first.

That's completely wrong, Mg deficiency shows in the new growth first, where new cells are limited in their ability to produce chlorophyll, due to limited Mg availability. The older leaves that showed signs of deficiency won't bounce back, but all new growth will be fine as long as the pH is kept in check. New growth is what is going on nutrient-wise now, old growth is what was happening with the plants then, so old growth is a historical record of the plant, not a current one.

Had you read the thread, and looked at the pictures provided by the OP in his recent posts, you would see that his problem was Mg lockout as suggested way back, and when he corrected the problem with his pH, the plant was able to uptake Mg, and the new growth was healthy with no signs of deficiency.

The real head scratcher is why anyone would comment, having not read the thread for context...

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
to each his own. never seen any mag def that didn't start out with interveinal chlorosis. I was under the impression magnesium was a mobile element.

The real head scratcher is why anyone would comment, having not read the thread for context...

because it's over a month old and 9 page long help thread for whats clearly deficient plants in "pro mix". i really didn't need to read the whole thread, all the information i needed was in those pics of his sick plants and his description of the issue.

Chimera

Veteran
because it's over a month old and 9 page long help thread for whats clearly deficient plants in "pro mix". i really didn't need to read the whole thread, all the information i needed was in those pics of his sick plants and his description of the issue.

Had the OP followed your "advice", the problem would have gotten worse, not better.

The deficiency wasn't due to a lack of nutrient, but due to a pH problem hindering its availability. Adding more nutrient like you suggested blindly without informing yourself of the OP's situation would have increased his problem, not solved it.

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
/shrug

why do they call it pro mix? even $2 bags of topsoil at home depot are buffered better than that. and i also still disagree with your assessment of the pH being the issue. that's clearly deficiencies. he added calmag and it got a little better. he needs to add more mag to completely turn it around. a lot of picture on this forums show mag def. shit's rampant. i only mention it in the infirmary posts. i would hate for anyone to think i knew anything about anything.

Tynehead Tom

/shrug

why do they call it pro mix? even $2 bags of topsoil at home depot are buffered better than that. and i also still disagree with your assessment of the pH being the issue. that's clearly deficiencies. he added calmag and it got a little better. he needs to add more mag to completely turn it around. a lot of picture on this forums show mag def. shit's rampant. i only mention it in the infirmary posts. i would hate for anyone to think i knew anything about anything.

dude, yer arguing with one of the most respected and long standing cannabis breeders in the world..... or maybe you didn't know that.
thanx for coming out :tiphat:

Jonnysact

Hey Powered. I had actually started using CalMag a while back with every watering around 150ppm and didn't increase that concentration when they started to bounce back. I wouldn't be surprised if they could use a bit more but I have a feeling that between the Cal Mag I give it and the GH Grow they are fed, plus whatever is in my tap water, they should be good to go. All of that leads me to think that there was definitely something going awry in the medium's PH.

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
dude, yer arguing with one of the most respected and long standing cannabis breeders in the world..... or maybe you didn't know that.
thanx for coming out :tiphat:

i know who he is, am i supposed to cower in fear and not speak my mind because of that? yeah he's the legendary chimaera, and there's the legendary tom hill, hey is that the legendary sam the skunkman?, don't look now but here comes the legendary gypsy finally freed. but guess what? i'm still gonna state my piece. opinions are like assholes everyone's got one and they all stink to someone. i ain't trippin, neither should you.

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
Hey Powered. I had actually started using CalMag a while back with every watering around 150ppm and didn't increase that concentration when they started to bounce back. I wouldn't be surprised if they could use a bit more but I have a feeling that between the Cal Mag I give it and the GH Grow they are fed, plus whatever is in my tap water, they should be good to go. All of that leads me to think that there was definitely something going awry in the medium's PH.

i don't see anymore calcium def. you can just use epsom salt to add only the magnesium and it also adds some sulfur which is a much needed element in plants for flavors and smells and shit. too much calcium locks out...potassium if i'm not mistaken, and you def don't want that. trust me.

Chimera

Veteran
regardless of who is who, which means nothing, the facts of this case are obvious to anyone who has read the thread in it's entirety. The deficiency was due to a pH problem, not lack of available elements. The OP fixed the pH problem and lo and behold the deficiency went away, while adding more nutrient didn't fix the problem; it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand the mechanism of action.

Adding more nutrient to an already acidic soil is going to further crash the pH, which was his ongoing problem for the first few pages. When the pH was corrected, the plant was able to uptake the available Mg and the symptoms clearly went away - proof is the new green growth in the shoots.

This was a good learning experience, and hopefully people will learn from this thread, which was always the point.

I have little time for bravado by those that refuse to read the discussion and inform themselves on the topic and then offer bad advice generated from their self-imposed ignorance. It happens though, there are all kinds of these forums...

Bwanabud

i know who he is, am i supposed to cower in fear and not speak my mind because of that? yeah he's the legendary chimaera, and there's the legendary tom hill, hey is that the legendary sam the skunkman?, don't look now but here comes the legendary gypsy finally freed. but guess what? i'm still gonna state my piece. opinions are like assholes everyone's got one and they all stink to someone. i ain't trippin, neither should you.

Yours stinks more than most though, especially when you are wrong...the OP's problem came from too low of media PH, which locked out the available nutrients...happens all the time, very common really.

The OP's problem is repaired, so you're late to the party...and continue to insult members for no reason ? ... thus your username "Powered by haters" ? :woohoo: Confrontational, delusional, and obstinate,,, can only lead to a lonely life of self absorbed alienation.

Have fun bro :tiphat:

EDIT: Chimera we need to quit meeting like this, people are going to talk :biggrin:

Last edited:

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
that's some egos you guys have there that don't allow for difference of opinion. i don't recall going to this guys house and forcing him to add anything to his soil. did you witness this? do you have proof? well then why you coming at me bro? i offered my opinion, it's different from yours. he can take it or leave it. please call of your sycophant attack dogs.

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
Yours stinks more than most though, especially when you are wrong...the OP's problem came from too low of media PH, which locked out the available nutrients...happens all the time, very common really.

The OP's problem is repaired, so you're late to the party...and continue to insult members for no reason ? ... thus your username "Powered by haters" ? :woohoo: Confrontational, delusional, and obstinate,,, can only lead to a lonely life of self absorbed alienation.

Have fun bro :tiphat:

EDIT: Chimera we need to quit meeting like this, people are going to talk :biggrin:
i attacked someone? when? i think you should look in your mirror for this delusional person you're talking about. :tiphat:

Limeygreen

Veteran
Glad to see your plants turning around, hope the harvest is good and next round things go smoothly for you without the same problem.

Jonnysact

Hey guys!

I forgot to update everyone on what happened come harvest time. Things went absolutely splendidly. I've been smoking on this stuff after a few weeks of curing and it's just AMAZING.

What I was hoping for out of the harvest was 2 oz of dried and cured weed. What I ended up getting was 3 oz of dried and cured weed :)

I've got two beautiful white widows on the way that are a few weeks into flower and I switched to Promix BX. PH issues are completely gone, it was definitely the pro mix with ferts that was to blame for the insanely low ph.

Thank you all!