What's new

48 or 72 hrs dark?

dmcheatw

hey when u put ur treez in the dark do u go for 48 or 72 hours? does it have to be perfectly dark like the night cycle, or can u just throw them in the closet with leaks around the door?

G

wat?? im also confused are you talking of during flowering towards the end

savonavo

do you mean after the plant has reached maturity, leaving in complete darkness for 2 to 3 days straight before harvesting. I have only heard of such things, Im not sure if it does anything or if it is a useful technique. I think what the darkness does is put the plant under some forms of stress maybe that will trigger a boost in buds or some other boost??

anyone else with me on this???

Dr.Feelgood

If you're talking about putting them in dark when they're ready to harvest, it is 48hr. That's the number I hear most often.

G

dmcheatw said:
hey when u put ur treez in the dark do u go for 48 or 72 hours? does it have to be perfectly dark like the night cycle, or can u just throw them in the closet with leaks around the door?

48 hours is the usual amount of time. You should try to keep them in a dark area that is free of light leaks. You also want to water the plants a few days before they go into the dark room because you want them to be dry for harvest.

The point of this is to trick the female plant into thinking its life cycle is ending causing it to produce more resin to collect male pollen. Which leads to frostier buds.

Guest423

Veteran
i go with 72 hours of pure darkness, water your plants and throw them in the dark with no light leaks and you'll have the frostiest buds you ever grown....there is a difference no doubt.

peace

G

Ahhh I get it i''ll need to try this , id herd of putting ur planst in darkness befoer harvest but didnt know the reason why so never bothered thanks cough

Frozenguy

Veteran
now, i am going to be using coco slabs with a soaker hose.. should i just stop watering 3 days before harvest and not water during it? it will all be timed so i wont have to go into the room.. the room is totaly self sustaining.. atleast for a couple days.. also, if i do stop watering for the last three days, should i stop feeding nutes 3 days earlier then expected harvest?? like 7-10 days before instead of 4-7???

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
soak the soil or w/e u got it in very very well. put in a dry cool dark place, harvest when soil is bone dry. itl help frost up the plant a little bit and does make it stink a bit more i think. other than that not much of a difference.

4iiii'z

hmmmmm
Trichomes need light to grow
and buds shrivel up with out light

I really cant see the benefits of an extended calvin cycle

C

clear and blue

theres always mixed opinions on this subject.

one thing to bear in mind is that the 48-72 hours of dark is also likely to speed up maturation so if the plant is already at its peak, it could be sent over the edge into the abyss of mongyness.

savonavo

i think that the theory about the female plant looking extremely hard for male pollen makes sense if the plant is in 48 hr darkness. Light is only need for photosynthesis, and that mostly means producing leaf material with light+CO2 and nutes. I would try out this technique before you totally discredit it.

the couch

That link doesn't provide any evidence, or give a conclusion. '...it might provide...' ...

I just don't see how 48 hours of dark can make much of a difference in what took the plant 40 or more days or 960+ hours to produce before.
and the trichomes don't collect pollen.

G

This is pure rumor until someone posts some evidence as to why it actually benefits the plants. No photos? Physiologically, it seems far-fetched to think the plant could pack on a bunch of extra trichs in 48 hours if it has already matured... again no evidence though. 48 hours isn't very much time at all for anything significant to happen...

... guess I will have to try it though, find out for myself. :joint:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts