What's new

48 - 72 hours of darkness before harvest

the cult

Where'sMyBud? said:
Cult -

When I do clones in SOG, in 2L soda bottles, I grow "budsicles" or "buds on sticks." I have never done a side by side grow of the same clones, some being flushed at week 4 12/12 and the other continuing on their feeding program. Maybe this next SOG round I will do that to compare. Honestly, for clones in SOG, I don't think I'll notice a difference in final yield. I grow about 15 clones at a time and have yielded between 14 - 21g off each clone. I might push that up a few grams per clone if I continued feeding, but I know the final product is just more valuable the way I am doing it. Connessuer bud takes time and patience but more importantly, IMO, a proper flush with no ferts added thereafter.

im looking forward to the results of your test! pls let us all know if you come to any conclusive results!
a N deficiency 4 weeks into bloom may not be that dramatic when thinking final yield, but im still quite interested.

thanks

deadhed61

**DISCLAIMER: I am not currently, nor have I ever grown, smoked, or even seen real marijuana. All of the pictures posted here by me are not my own and I would never think of breaking any law of the United States, no matter how antiquated or stupid.**

Nice footnote buddy.

Guest423

Veteran
i noticed a difference in frostiness, taste and slight color, 30 plants of bluemoonshine, hashplant, and lsd....i harvested 15 then the other 15 got watered and left in the dark for 3 days.

part of the reason i think is when the lights go off your temps drop which is known to get frosty and add color.....it was winter so when we turned the lights off the room dropped about 20 degrees for them 3 days....so either it was the dark cycle, the temp change, or a combination of both.

After looking in BOG's book "Bonaza of green" i found this info:
"i find that when a nearly finished plant is placed in the dark for 48-72 hours it produces more resins without light."
"do not restrict water in late flowering bacause a lot of resins are made in the final days"
"water your plants on the last day of light and place it in the dark with no further watering"
" i cut off the leaves during the 48-72 hours in the relative dark period and this my also shock the plants into producing more resins"

I hope this helps, be cool

G

I wonder how bog comes to the conclusion that it "produces more resins"?Poppycock lol.You spend 60 days or so flowering a plant and farming trichromes and I'm supposed to believe that in 3 days the plant somehow spews resin?Not in my experience and thats what I go by.I think Bog just jumped on the bandwagon myself.I like his idea of watering before harvest only to hydrate the plant fully to slow drying,gee I wonder if this magically produces trichromes also lol?

J

James-Bong

I was always told that the Darkness period b4 harvest Reduces the amount of Starches in the buds.... which is sposed to make ur buds burn more evenly and improve on taste.....

G

These types of threads shouldnt exist at all,if I went by "what I was told" about everything I'd be in pretty sad shape,and I'm not.Its so easy to do for yourself that I dont understand why anyone would even want to know someone elses experiences with it,do it for yourself people.

Skeletor, I think the purpose of these forums are for finding out how to do this thing we do, i also believe this thread should exist and am glad its going on and lively.
someone had a question and we have tried to help, i'm sure you will agree that the forums are for info and community bonding.
this is my opinion on this... hope it helps. be cool :joint:

Guest423

Veteran
Sloppy Seconds said:
After looking in BOG's book "Bonaza of green" i found this info:
"i find that when a nearly finished plant is placed in the dark for 48-72 hours it produces more resins without light."
"do not restrict water in late flowering bacause a lot of resins are made in the final days"
"water your plants on the last day of light and place it in the dark with no further watering"
" i cut off the leaves during the 48-72 hours in the relative dark period and this my also shock the plants into producing more resins"

I hope this helps, be cool

i got my info and wanted to try it after talking to BOG in pm's, i just pm'd him and asked him how are his buds shots were always so damn frosty......his answer was genetics and exactly what you just posted......i encourage anyone reading this to give it a try...just harvest like normal but keep a few in for 48-72 hours and compare.....lets us know if you noticed or not.

J

James-Bong

Time2Unite said:
i got my info and wanted to try it after talking to BOG in pm's, i just pm'd him and asked him how are his buds shots were always so damn frosty......his answer was genetics and exactly what you just posted......i encourage anyone reading this to give it a try...just harvest like normal but keep a few in for 48-72 hours and compare.....lets us know if you noticed or not.

Well, Skeletor.....
This is the same source that told me about the dark photo period ^^^
b4 harvest.... BOG.... Someone who i think has grown enough Herb in his time to know what works...

How about producing some proof that 48 hours darkness isn't Beneficial?>???

Or are we sposed to just take your word for it????

G

Why would I want to do that?I've told you my results and thats as far as I want to go with it.Sure put a plant in the dark for 3 days and its going to have more trichromes but if you keep a plant in the light those extra three days it'll have even more trichromes.Want proof?Do it yourself after about 300 of these silly 48-72 hour posts I'm totally burnt out on them.Every week its the same shit,twice usually when all you have to do is harvest a couple plants yourself lol

J

James-Bong

SKELETOR said:
Why would I want to do that?I've told you my results and thats as far as I want to go with it.Sure put a plant in the dark for 3 days and its going to have more trichromes but if you keep a plant in the light those extra three days it'll have even more trichromes.Want proof?Do it yourself after about 300 of these silly 48-72 hour posts I'm totally burnt out on them.Every week its the same shit,twice usually when all you have to do is harvest a couple plants yourself lol

i have done side by side comparisons.... when givin 48-72 hours of darkness weed burns more evenly and better taste

Last edited:

deadhed61

Its all about personal preference and what You think works best. If giving them 2 days of darkness gives you the better weed, then do it! If it really doesn't do anything to your crops, DON'T do it!! Again, it's all about personal preference. If everybody used the exact same methods we wouldn't have such a great variety of ganja as we do now!! But i do have to throw in there that, personally, I don't think the darkness thing works at all! LOL!! But thats what i think.....

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
i know this is a old thread but i have some ??? and didnt want to start a new one does the darkness turn they trichs from clear/cloudy/amber faster? for ex:what i mean is if i put it into darkness with clear trichs will the trichs turn amber in 72 hours or progress normally? this would be very helpfull with long flowering sativas imo

supermanlives

Veteran
never noticed a diff at all . i always wanted to go the other way and blast em with light fora few days . i have noticed increased tricomes in revegging plants. maybe some day i will try it.

Latest posts

Latest posts