What's new

40kw legal vertical grow

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
i have a friend with a warehouse that uses scrubbers ...... in the "hood" that he is in it would be a bad idea to telegraph what you are doing in the building if you were legal or not. the place is set up great, but for about two months of summer the AC on the building does not cut it. the asshole landlord does not care and the AC upgrade would run about $40,000 out of my friends pocket (and it would belong to the landlord in the end) so that aint happening..... he runs reflectors so he has a pretty big system that runs clean outside air through the lights and out of the building and he still has heat problems and DANK odors. there is no way he could run what he does bare bulb without a major rebuild.

How about those Ice Box chillers between Magnum hoods?

You own the hood and the chillers, landlord gets fuck all and the cannabis is World class!

:joint:

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
:lurk:

First thing that comes to me are massive heat exchangers. Wouldn't be too terribly hard, but wow, what a time sink. Labor on a project like that could get very expensive (remember, you have to put a value on your time too).

Knee jerk imaginings, may fall apart under examination.

But fuck it, I'm still dreaming 40kw dreams... I'm in :joint:

BigDawg

do you want more 1-2 pound plants or fewer 3-4 pound plants? if you want the most weight per plant you have to blast each plant with 3-4 sides of vertical lighting. If you want more smaller plants with fewer weight you are going to have to double up on a/c and lighting to cover the footprint.

so basically in the space you have... you could pull 70-80 pounds with fewer plants,half the lighting, and a/c.. or run all 40 lights horizontal on a flip 1 light per plant and get about 100 lbs. but you are doubling the lighting and a/c. not as efficient.

No point in doing vertical trees unless you blast each plant with 3-4 sides of lighting like your boy Maina. If you only blast 2 sides of each plant, that's not true vertical trees.

If you want to run 40 vertical TREES you will need 41 lights, nearly 15 tons of a/c and a warehouse that's 1600+ sq ft. you would get 30 - 50 pounds more this way compared to horizontal using the same amount of light.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
IF he is vegging them for at least 2 months, I don't see how having a two room flip flop would work, unless he had half the lights flipping back and forth in each room.

I think he is in Maine, so even in the summers the outdoor temps get cool enough to do air exchanges for cooling. Seems like it would save a lot on a/c's this way, but it might make controlling the humidity a bitch.

BigDawg

yeah true vert trees would be a waste to do a 2 room flip flop. His best bet, if not running all lights at once, is to put 3/4 of the lights on a relay to come on/off every 6 hours during the lights on period.. and the other 1/4 of lights (in middle area) stay on all 12 hours during light period. Member Maina does this with a 5k room. It allows you to use less amps and a/c. However, if you can cool it; and have enough amps, it's best to blast all lights the whole 12 hours.

But if he wants to run a 40+ light pattern with each plant getting 3-4 sides of light then it's not possible in his space. Gotta get a larger warehouse. He could run a true vertical tree pattern with 23k watts in the space he has now and get 70-80 pounds easy. He could nearly double that weight if he got a bigger warehouse and ran 40+ lights in one space.

toohighmf

Veteran
internal flip vert. run on off peak hours. less cooling required, less power too.. watercooling a 40 lighter is a very expensive investment. chillers crap out all the time. not something I would want to deal with in the middle of a 40 lighter..

BigDawg

can someone post up a 40k x o pattern that would fit in his space (45 x 25)... i have yet to see one that's efficient in that space.

a 5k vert tree room needs 12 x 12. we are talking 40,000 watts here people.

you could do eight 12 x 12 rooms but that seems like a bitch to build out.. 10-12 pounds per room. but then you would need a lung room.. not going to fit. Even if it would that's only 100 pounds for 40k... if you could get a bigger spot this is why one big area would be best as you could pull 130-150 lbs because it's more efficient since all the plants would be getting more light.

iSMOKE.KUSH

Veteran
yeah true vert trees would be a waste to do a 2 room flip flop. His best bet, if not running all lights at once, is to put 3/4 of the lights on a relay to come on/off every 6 hours during the lights on period.. and the other 1/4 of lights (in middle area) stay on all 12 hours during light period. Member Maina does this with a 5k room. It allows you to use less amps and a/c. However, if you can cool it; and have enough amps, it's best to blast all lights the whole 12 hours.

But if he wants to run a 40+ light pattern with each plant getting 3-4 sides of light then it's not possible in his space. Gotta get a larger warehouse. He could run a true vertical tree pattern with 23k watts in the space he has now and get 70-80 pounds easy. He could nearly double that weight if he got a bigger warehouse and ran 40+ lights in one space.

what is the waste? treat each room as if it is it's own separate bloom room. the way i explained it (motorized dampers. relays) you would only need to buy one a/c for 2 bloom rooms. that way the you are running a smaller a/c more efficiently vs. using a bigger a/c 12 hours a day..

i do agree with the space you have that it is not going to efficiently be a 40 light setup. do you have a separate area for veg, so that while you are running your 2 monthish flower you can be vegging the whole time. for each 16 lighter(8 light flip) i run closer to 6000+ watts of veg lights. i veg them while i flower, and as soon as everything is cut i sanitize and refill my rooms. easy as pie..

to be honest, i think you had a better idea with the greenhouses. i'm in the process of buying 2x10,000 sq ft heated greenhouses now, we need to start bridging the between indoor and outdoor. heated greenhouse with supp. lighting and blackout is the way to go....

BigDawg

what is the waste? treat each room as if it is it's own separate bloom room. the way i explained it (motorized dampers. relays) you would only need to buy one a/c for 2 bloom rooms. that way the you are running a smaller a/c more efficiently vs. using a bigger a/c 12 hours a day..

i think his goal is to do 1 big run this winter in a building. veg for 2 months and flower for 2 1/2 months. When you flip between 2 rooms then each plant wont receive 3-4 sides of lighting nearly as much as one open area.

example one open area:

L P L P L P L P L

P L P L P L P L P

L P L P L P L P L

P L P L P L P L P

L P L P L P L P L

as you can see this is 22 plants in a 20L x 36w room - 12 plants are getting 3 full sides of lighting. The other 10 are getting 4 full sides of lighting. This is how you get 3+ pound monsters. so we are talking in the range of 60 - 70 ( possibly more depending if hydro) pounds from 23k watts.

Now if you take that area and flip it, then plants wont get as many sides of lighting total. Therefore it's not as efficient and your yield will be lower.

example split area:

L P L P L P L
P L P L P L P
L P L P L P L
---------------
L P L P L P L
P L P L P L P
L P L P L P L

as you can see, 22 lights and 20 plants. 16 plants receive 3 sides of lighting and 4 plants receive 4 sides of lighting. So you're in the range of 50-60 pounds with this setup because the plants don't get as much light as the setup with just one area. So it's about a 10 pound difference between setups.

Even worse is to do it like this in a row setup:

L P L P L P L P L
L P L P L P L P L
L P L P L P L P L
L P L P L P L P L
L P L P L P L P L

notice the lights and plants. This is common in vert grows but it's not efficient at all because all those lights are facing each other; as well as the plants.

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You will need 4x 3 ton A/C's........................

40k? Time to get a warehouse!
I would suggest two 20k rooms on a flip with 2x 3ton mini splits and 4 santa fe max dry dual XT dehumidifiers in each room...

20 lights, 16 plants in each room. (25'x25' footprint) I'd go 36'x36' on the rooms for some extra space around the perimeter for working/equipment.
XOXOXOXOX
XOXOXOXOX
XOXOXOXOX
XOXOXOXOX

X=light
O=plant

Aero;

I'm on the road till Friday....didn't have time to respond to PM.....BUT, short answer is I would head in this direction BUT your way outta my league here......In will pull up a seat cuz I know whatever you do.......YOU DO BIG.....like ur outdoor monsters!

Wishing you much success!:dance013:

BattleAxe

^^ what they said. split the the room in two. Get two mini splits ac's, somehwere close to 60k btus would work for each room. and that way you can pull trees down about every month, if you cycle the rooms.

First off, I am not qualified to give advice on an op this large of a scale. I would say that in my limited knowledge, using a basement is a good idea and using the outside, coming winter air is a great idea.

However you do it, best of luck to you, this will be epic.

BigDawg

Aero;

I'm on the road till Friday....didn't have time to respond to PM.....BUT, short answer is I would head in this direction BUT your way outta my league here......In will pull up a seat cuz I know whatever you do.......YOU DO BIG.....like ur outdoor monsters!

Wishing you much success!:dance013:

that light setup isn't efficient at all. those lights are facing each other as well as the plants.

iSMOKE.KUSH

Veteran
i think his goal is to do 1 big run this winter in a building. veg for 2 months and flower for 2 1/2 months. When you flip between 2 rooms then each plant wont receive 3-4 sides of lighting nearly as much as one open area.

example one open area:

L P L P L P L P L

P L P L P L P L P

L P L P L P L P L

P L P L P L P L P

L P L P L P L P L

as you can see this is 22 plants in a 20L x 36w room - 12 plants are getting 3 full sides of lighting. The other 10 are getting 4 full sides of lighting. This is how you get 3+ pound monsters. so we are talking in the range of 60 - 70 ( possibly more depending if hydro) pounds from 23k watts.

Now if you take that area and flip it, then plants wont get as many sides of lighting total. Therefore it's not as efficient and your yield will be lower.

example split area:

L P L P L P L
P L P L P L P
L P L P L P L
---------------
L P L P L P L
P L P L P L P
L P L P L P L

as you can see, 22 lights and 20 plants. 16 plants receive 3 sides of lighting and 4 plants receive 4 sides of lighting. So you're in the range of 50-60 pounds with this setup because the plants don't get as much light as the setup with just one area. So it's about a 10 pound difference between setups.

Even worse is to do it like this in a row setup:

L P L P L P L P L
L P L P L P L P L
L P L P L P L P L
L P L P L P L P L
L P L P L P L P L

notice the lights and plants. This is common in vert grows but it's not efficient at all because all those lights are facing each other; as well as the plants.

it all depends on how you want to build out the space. if you want to split the rooms you need to treat each room like it's a separate grow. the thought that 1 room is more efficient than two is a new one on me....in my rooms i do the dice formation only with more plants. so some get hit with multiple lights, and some only get hit on one side. i don't like to have lights just bouncing off walls like you do in your setup. talk about inefficient. lights just glowing off onto nothing. if you look straight down on my rooms each light looks like it has a tunnel of weed around it. that's what you want.

BigDawg

when i say split that's what i mean. 2 rooms. That's why i drew the line in between it. When you are doing 1 large grow one area is more efficient.. which i explained why.

we are talking trees here. not multiple smaller plants. Even when using more smaller plants, those plants don't get 3-4 sides of lighting. I'll take a look through your journals.

BigDawg

just looked at your grow kush... those plants are nothing like trees. if thats what you want then great but your plants aren't getting 3-4 sides of lighting.. which is what you want when growing man trees.

mrdizzle

the room might be a little tight for 40 2#trees, depends what you grow really but I have had a 2#blackberry kush in a MPB and I had 65in centers

2x 5 ton AC, and cooltube roughly 15 lights, last thing you need is a million cooltubes
its not going to save you much at all if any

whats the new laws in Maine?

Im moving there in a month I should probably get up on the scene

kifmaster

not quite on this scale, but had a xx light grow , went from high plant count horizontal, to 1 per light vertical, to one per light horizontal. Vertical is awesome and efficient but can be truly tough to manage. Much harder to manage a conic canopy than a flat one.

iSMOKE.KUSH

Veteran
just looked at your grow kush... those plants are nothing like trees. if thats what you want then great but your plants aren't getting 3-4 sides of lighting.. which is what you want when growing man trees.

lol i got friends that grow huge trees, and he uses two rooms. go check out gettogro's journal. i was talking about efficiency, and you were talking about trees. when it comes down to efficiency multiple smaller plants is the way to go. i don't give a shit about if i have "man" trees or not, all i care about is quality and gpw...