What's new

400W Medicine Cupboard

indifferent

Veteran
They are the F5. A friend found two nice females from seed, one looks like a NL pheno, that was number #4, the other one, #1, is taller, bigger yield. We both preferred the taste of #1, it's hazey, sweet but also spicey. I think it's really tasty, and in my friend's grow it yielded good. I just chopped mine at 60 days, the #4 was raped by mites and really didn't like the soilmix I potted her into so was a crappy plant, yield was maybe 5g, I was too ashamed to take any pics!

The #1 turned out okay, was fully ripe at 60 days, which was a surprise, I was expecting somewhere between 70 and 75. Quality is great, smells fantastic, made oil from the trim and it;s super tasty, speed dried popcorn sample also super tasty, so the organics worked in that regard, but the yield is pathetic, between 8 and 10g I think. I should be able to get a LOT more than that so I'm definitely switching back to coco with Canna Coco A+B nutes and PK13-14 as I know I can get pretty big yields, I hit 0.9gpw under my old 250 with canna, I'm looking at a third of that with what I'm getting from my organic regime which is shocking. Maybe I just really suck at organic growing? lol

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
good info thanks :)

I've grown in soil but also used coco from the start, having seen the results side by side, I can't imagine how anyone goes back to organic after seeing the results using canna coco .. it'd break my heart... thats more likely due to my inexperiance though as I know some "soil guys" get fantastic yields using the old mud system :)

fair play though, coco is immense stuff even if it is a bit more work :)

edit and here's perhaps some explaination of my PP love affair... my first grow.. I did PP plants (4 or 5 of em) that were 85g each dried n cured... in the same grow the PP in soil avg'd 30-40 (under 850w hps) :D

JamieShoes

Veteran
ahhh what what I forgot to mention there was... spidermites heat and fruit flies over the summer and the next pp in coco putting out 8g per plant *sniff* :(

indifferent

Veteran
Nice thread and diggin all the pics, indifferent. :)

Cheers man, I appreciate that having followed your threads before, particularly impressed with some of your plants, I recall the TW grow was pretty damn nice.

Some Jack QWISO I've been toking on. I have to say, it's some of the tastiest oil I've ever made, but it lacks punch. I don't think this Jack is all that potent, but the taste may make it a keeper. Depends if I can get a good yield out of it or not. I'm also not sure if I really enjoy the high all that much, it is very subtle, in the background and may have an unsettling, paranoia element to it, or that may just be my current mental state, really not sure. More testing and sampling required with this one!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

indifferent

Veteran
good info thanks :)

I've grown in soil but also used coco from the start, having seen the results side by side, I can't imagine how anyone goes back to organic after seeing the results using canna coco .. it'd break my heart... thats more likely due to my inexperiance though as I know some "soil guys" get fantastic yields using the old mud system :)

It's broken my heart to be honest mate, I'm looking at my plants going 'why so small?' 'these suck ass' 'where are the colas ffs!' I'm used to seeing fat coco buds so seeing little organic ones a third the size is so upsetting! I went back and looked at some really old pics I have from old soil growing days and you know, my plants now are comparable to the ones I had back then in some ways, and I recall when I did my first coco grow I doubled what I had yielded with my last soil grow, just enough time has elapsed for me to forget that. One and a bit soil runs and I have remembered that and it hurts a bit! lol

fair play though, coco is immense stuff even if it is a bit more work :)

I don't mind hand watering daily as my grow is so small, and if you miss a day here and there, it's no big deal. I have a unused pump and a pair of hozelock aquapods so I could setup a 10 plant drip system if I got a reservoir. I'm strongly considering it as I can get a 90 litre one that fits perfectly in the bottom of my cab and is 30 cm tall, and I have enough vertical space to be able to loose a foot to a res. I imagine with a full coco nute regime drip fed I will get some pretty big buds.

edit and here's perhaps some explaination of my PP love affair... my first grow.. I did PP plants (4 or 5 of em) that were 85g each dried n cured... in the same grow the PP in soil avg'd 30-40 (under 850w hps) :D

ahhh what what I forgot to mention there was... spidermites heat and fruit flies over the summer and the next pp in coco putting out 8g per plant *sniff* :(

Yeah man, PP is such a commercial staple precisely because it yields immense and it's not too tricky to grow. I feel ya on the tiny plants thing, I have some going now that I have fucked up totally, mites, too hot soil mix, whacky ph from forgetting to put lime in soil, gnats, strange deficiencies, just totally screwed up. I'm too ashamed to take any pics! There was a ******'s Jack, not gone that was ruined, still have an Oaxacan going that is gonna yield like 5g but quality looks great, loads of resin compared to other runs of her, but I fucked her up bad. Got a couple of White Rhinos that are awful too, but I think that is a very touchy plant, never been happy since I sprouted the damn thing!

I need to sort my grow out and get it rocking again though as I won't be fully happy until my plants are fully happy! Call me wierd, strange, freaky and obsessed, but I'm so into my growing that my mental state can be strongly affected by how things are doing in my grow!

Here's another Jack #1 cutting I have going, not sure how many days, between 30 and 40 I think. This one is also in my soil mix and fed organically, but a week ago I switched to feeding her a hybrid chemical/organic regime to try and boost the yield up a bit. I think it might have had some effect as she seems to be a bit fatter. She's been most of the organic regime - seaweed, molasses, fish stew, bat guano, bcuzz soil booster, but I have added Dutchmaster MAX Bloom, AN Big Bud, Liquid Silicon and Hesi Coco Bloom.

The burnt tips are from when I gave her the first chemical feed, I put some calcium nitrate in to cure a cal deficiency and overdid it, the stuff is 16% N and 27% Cal, and it certainly did green the plants up and cure the cal def, it also burnt them, some worse than others!

Oh how I can't wait to get this run over and a new coco one started with Canna nutes, then all these bloody issues will be behind me!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Blimey

Take A Deep Breath
Veteran
Those top calyces look pretty nicely swollen for 30-something days - almost as if she's preggers.

And plenty of stalky trichs. Even if the yield isn't fantastic, should be a good smoke..or hash or oil.

Do you bother with dry sieve or bubble at all..or do you prefer to go for the oil every time? I can certainly see the attraction of oil (quick to make) compared to all the monkeying about you need for hash.

JamieShoes

Veteran
mate, my mood is seriously affected by my garden, hell I even start arguements with well versed connoiseurs like yerself :) oddly though, I'm kinda glad I did.. me n you have much in common, even if you do seem to know a damn sight more than me :)

You're right there eh Blimey about it looking to be good smoke. those sucky plants I grew yielded incredably poorly (most strains I've grown avg around 60g) the smoke was fantastic though... almost like super concentrate

you can both have a laugh now but it made me wonder... if a plant had a set amount of resin to offer (like an elephant has heartbeats) and you didnt give her anywhere to put it (ie grew cronky wee plants) would she still try n pump her quota into those tiny buds... maybe not, but it's a consoling thought :)

gotta say Indifferent, the yield mightn't look good, but your buds do and for me as a non mersh grower, thats always foremost..

I could grow 500 grams of wank, but I'd sooner have 50 grams of summat I loved :) :)

JamieShoes

Veteran
and here's another thing

the mud brigade insist bio grown taste better... hmmm maybe some does.. but man I can tell you amongst my friends those buds grown in coco seem to actually be the superior smoke. I dont know if it's because the buds swell so much that they ripen better or maybe becuase they're so well fed they mature fully ..or what it is, but with the right flush I think its actually better.....(i expect a lot of hate mail for saying that out loud ...hehhehee)

indifferent

Veteran
Those top calyces look pretty nicely swollen for 30-something days - almost as if she's preggers.

She might be slightly preggers. I found a fully developed and open male flower on a White Rhino, it had obviously already spat it's dust as it was dyign off. Bugger. I foudn 3 mature viable seeds on the Jack #1 I chopped, they could be from the OG x Affie male a while back or maybe from this Rhino hermie. Probably not from the Rhino although I can't recall accurately if that plant and the OG x Affie male were in the flower box at the same time.

And plenty of stalky trichs. Even if the yield isn't fantastic, should be a good smoke..or hash or oil.

Do you bother with dry sieve or bubble at all..or do you prefer to go for the oil every time? I can certainly see the attraction of oil (quick to make) compared to all the monkeying about you need for hash.

She yielded well with the oil making, and the finger hash ball (I trim with fingers, not scissors) was good for a plant this size, so she passes muster on the resin test.

I used to make dry sift all the time, but lost my equipment sadly, it's in Spain somewhere! lol I can't be bothered with all the mess of bubble, and to be honest, I think bubble is inferior hashish as many terpenoids are water soluble so you lose part of the effect with bubble, I prefer the whole product - dry sift.

mate, my mood is seriously affected by my garden, hell I even start arguements with well versed connoiseurs like yerself :) oddly though, I'm kinda glad I did.. me n you have much in common, even if you do seem to know a damn sight more than me :)

Good to know I'm not the only one who feels emotionally tied to his garden! I'm always happy to debate as long as it stays civil. I'm a nerd I suppose, spent too much time reading stuff about how to grow ganja over the years, bit of a bookworm. lol Oh, and I've had a lot of time on my hands due to unemployment.

You're right there eh Blimey about it looking to be good smoke. those sucky plants I grew yielded incredably poorly (most strains I've grown avg around 60g) the smoke was fantastic though... almost like super concentrate

You know, I've grown so many plants over the years that yielded terrible that were amazing smoke. I remember well a KC Brains Leda Uno that for taste, resin and potency was right up there with the chemdawg d, chemdawg x nigerian, ecsd, nycd and trainwreck I was running at the time. Only problem was it had the smallest buds I;ve ever seen, whole plant yielded 1.1g so got two spliffs out of it, but man, were those nice spliffs!

you can both have a laugh now but it made me wonder... if a plant had a set amount of resin to offer (like an elephant has heartbeats) and you didnt give her anywhere to put it (ie grew cronky wee plants) would she still try n pump her quota into those tiny buds... maybe not, but it's a consoling thought :)

gotta say Indifferent, the yield mightn't look good, but your buds do and for me as a non mersh grower, thats always foremost..

I could grow 500 grams of wank, but I'd sooner have 50 grams of summat I loved :) :)

I am not at all happy with how my plants have been turning out, not used to having deficiencies and burning em, guess that's the last few years growing in coco with canna, it's so easy and works so well I'm used to everything being a doddle to keep green and healthy.

Then again, the quality has been really good from all the plants I;ve done, just the yields have sucked. Everything has tasted really good and done the job of getting me medicated so I can't complain too much, but I've been pretty damn frustrated lately with all the issues - gnats, mites, mould, deficiencies, it's not been as much of a pleasure as it should be lately due to all the problems, but you gotta persist till ya get it right!

and here's another thing

the mud brigade insist bio grown taste better... hmmm maybe some does.. but man I can tell you amongst my friends those buds grown in coco seem to actually be the superior smoke. I dont know if it's because the buds swell so much that they ripen better or maybe becuase they're so well fed they mature fully ..or what it is, but with the right flush I think its actually better.....(i expect a lot of hate mail for saying that out loud ...hehhehee)

Actually mate, I agree, and I know a few people who also agree with us on this point.

Classic example was the icmag cup in 08, I got to smoke cheese grown in coco with canna nutes and b'cuzz boosters and it was the best cheese I've tried (and I don't like cheese at all) it was a little bit smellier and frostier and tastier than my most dialled in attempt at cheese, and I thought I'd nailed it. I asked the grower his tips for getting it so good and he said it was a 3 week flush. I flushed mine for 2, and he flushes his mersh crops for 2, but his headstash plants he gave a 3 week flush too and it cost a lil bit of yield, but the flavours and smells were incredible. Same day a very experienced uk grower showed me his cheese done in an organic soilmix with biobizz nutes, guano tea and molasses. You know what, it was leafier, less resinous, less smelly and less tasty than the coco grown cheese I tried earlier. Not that it was bad, it was damn fine, just it wasn't as good as the coco one.

Why oh why did I decide to switch from coco? I seem to remember it was because I fancied a challenge. If only I had remembered why I started using coco in the first place - dwc tasted crap and soil yielded shit! lol

Here's the Mango #1, the taller KC33 pheno, first run this was a lovely plant, very high calyx to leaf ratio, big buds, big calyxes, lots of resin, beautiful taste/smell. Lost a load of the bud to mould but what was left was divine, not the most potent but lovely fruity taste and smell. This run she's developed a bit differently, not sure why. She got some light bleaching on her tips, which is why you can see albino spots. Like the Jack at 30-ish days, I've started feeding this one a mix of organics and chems. It has lost some leaves and got a load of burnt edges and tips and some yellowing of the fans, which I think is a mixture of overfert, ph lockout and probably other things. I can only look forward to running this cut again in coco as I reckon she has potential to yield really big.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

After smoking the Jack I'm still unsure of the potency. The high is really, really clear, no bodystone, pretty stimulating. It's the kind of high where you forget you're high, but it must be working as it's 4 AM and I'm still awake despte5 hours sleep last night. If I hadn't been smoking the Jack and was straight, I'd have been asleep long ago. Not sure if an insomniac like me wants this sort of strain, but it should be really nice for daytimes and activities. I think it will make great sunny day summertime bussy weed, but it's cold, dark, icy and freezin, pipe, slippers and block of heavy black hash by the fireside weather. Just wish I had some nice hash of a heavy stony bud, but all I have left is the Jack bud, just finished off the last of the oil. The bud is only going to last me 3-4 days and the next plant to chop is the two mangos and they have 3 or more weeks to go!

Hmm, I predict some straight days ahead, but you know, I think it will do me good, been doing too much toking lately, maybe I'm getting old! Nah, I just need a bigger variety of things to smoke!

indifferent

Veteran
I keep forgetting about this one, it's Appalachia,which is Green Crack x Tresdawg, a cross done by HighnLonesome and I got the cut from Elevator Man who grew it from seed. The Tresdawg is Chemdawg D x Afghani #1 than BXed to the dawg a couple of times, a superb line done by JJ-NYC.

This Appalachia has grown well with no deficiencies like the others, a solid dark green and hardly any tip burn from my overhanded application of calcium nitrate last week.

She has loads of resin but the buds are very small. I think one reason for their tiny size is that she appears to have been pollinated, I'm sure I can see the beginnings of tiny green immature seeds on her. Must be that damn hermie White Rhino. Bet I get about 5g of top shelf dank of this one. Good job I kept a cut of her in veg, looking forward to runningthis one again as it looks and smells lovely.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

indifferent

Veteran
I'm wondering if the molasses is adding frost as I do seem to have a decent amount of the stuff this run. I switched from Healthrite molasses in a jar to NAF Horse Feed Molasses is a 5 litre jug, maybe this horsey stuff adds a tad more resin? Apart from that, not sure what else is different. Only boosters they are getting besides the molasses are BAC Bloom Stimulator, Bcuzz Soil Booster and AN Big Bud. Perhaps it's the Big Bud adding the frost, the Bcuzz booster doesn't add resin.

I'm pissed off about the hermie rhino pollinating my girls though, a load of useless hermie seeds and reduced yield, bah humbug!

It snowed here overnight and is still snowing now, first snow we have had. Had to go out earlier but my Saab took it all in it's stride, being designed for such conditions.

B

Buffoonman

Its all looking good. I've just changed feed to vitalink earth its not organic but seems to be doing better at this stage than the biobiz range its also very cheap only £8.00 a litre. After trying loads of additives I now keep it simple. Looks like LEDs may be the shape of things to come.

JamieShoes

Veteran
I love the photos there mate, I need me a btter camera... my 4MP just doesnt do my ladies justice.

damn snow continues to fall here too... my neighbours roof is freaking me out cuz I can see it from where I'm sitting and it's so obviously patchy on his... mine looks like that just not as bad... I hope

roof.jpg

D

DoffCocker

lol i went out to check my roof after reading that jamie mate as i have my ballasts in the loft space and luckily its quite high up and you cant see the roof, BUT my neighbour 7 doors down defo has something dodgy going on in his loft lol, i metnioned it to my mate on the phone just now and he said one of his neighbours is the same lol.

love the setup indifferent, looks clinical, loving the plants too, will keep my eye on this.

JamieShoes

Veteran
must be a lot of people in need of winter tans with all these "solariums" on the go eh?

hehehe

indifferent

Veteran
Hehe, I've never considered the 'hot spot' problem as whenever I've had a full room, it was in a cellar or garage or shed, never used a loft space for more than 1 x 250 or a few fluoro tubes to keep some vegging plants.

My camera was dead cheap, fuji finepix s5700, I think the current model is the S5800. Mine was 140 quid online, got a really nice macro feature. I just point, shoot with it on auto settings and it takes good pics. Becuase of the flash i usually have to drop the brightness and up the contrast a bit in photoshop, but that's true of most cameras using on-camera flash. A flash diffuser would help.

Hiya buffoonman. I like the looks of the Vitalink range for two reasons, firstly, it;s by Hydrogarden, and all of their stuff I've used or good friends have used has been the shit, the Nite Nite Spider Mite worked a treat to wipe out my mites, the Gnat Off also wiped out my gnats, their liquid silicon seems to work good for me, as does their PH up and won, and hazyfontazy had great success with using Bud Rot Stop to cure his PM. So I reckon their nutes will be good and effective too. Secondly, Vitalink nutescontain phosphites as well as phosphates, they are the only nutes on sale in the UK that have phosphites, only other products with phosphites are agricultural ferts you buy in big drums from specialist farm suppliers, but phosphites are gonna be the next big thing, they are more readily available to the plants than phosphate and also increase disease resistance and plant health.

Please keep us updated with how you find the Vitalink nutes, I think they may be an overlooked gem, certainly at a good price.

I just had a small shopping spree on nutes on ebay, picked up two sets of Canna COGR Flores A+B for get this - 99p each! So I got 4 litres of Canna bloom nute for coco for 1.98! I also got a set of Canna Coco A+B from the same guy for 99p, so I got 6 litres of Canna coco nutes for 2.97 plus a few quid for shipping. I also bought some Plagron Alga Bloom and Phyt-Amin, the Alga Bloom is 1.5-13-14 and I need a PK booster as I'm almost out of Hammerhead. I think the Alga will do well, be harder to burn plants with it and as I am adding AN Big Bud Powder as well, I will get a nce bloom boost I think. The Alga Bloom was 4 quid for a lite, the phyt-amin 4 quid for 250ml, which is about a third of their normal prices.

So I'm all set for my coco run now and this is the nute line-up I will be using:

H&G Roots Excel (week 1 only) - root stimulator
Canna COGR Flores A+B - base nute
Plagron Alga Bloom - PK booster
Dutch Master MAX Bloom - humic/fulvic and mild PK boost
AN Big Bud powder - PK booster with aminos
NAF Horse Feed Molasses - sugars, carbs and goodies, mild K boost
Kay's Seaweed Extract - trace elements, vitamins, hormones, enzymes, K boost, some P too
Hydrogarden Liquid Silicon - increases health and disease resistance
B'cuzz Soil Booster - beneficial Microorganisms and other goodies

I might feed some liquid bat guano in late flower to enhance taste, I will probably reduce the levels of Plagron Alga Bloom for the last week or two before flush, making up the missing EC with the guano. I dunno, I might not bother with the guano.

My medium will be plain coco, resisting the temptation to add any worm castings or anything else. I will probably mix in 10-15% diahydro as it helps control soil pests and is also a source of silicates. I have had loads of problems with fungus gnats so the diahydro helps keep their numbers down.

indifferent

Veteran
I also agree about LEDs being at least a part of the shape of things to come. I spent most of today putting together a new 50W LED light to replace my 125W CFL for vegging clones and keeping mothers. It used a large sheet of aluminium 400mm x 300mm with some CPU heatsinks stuck on the back for heat dissipation. There are 48 1W LEDs arranged in a 6 x 8 grid with 5cm spacing on both axises. There are 18 x Royal Blue Luxeons, 18 x Blue Seoul P4s and 12 x Cool Whites (mix of Seoul P4s and CREE XRs).

This light should absolutely rock for vegging plants as it has huge levels of the 440nm, 460nm and 470nm blue peaks plants need for veg growth. I used a 25W light using 3W CREE LEDs a while back, a mix of blues and cool whites and it worked a treat, far better growth than with fluoros.

I'm also putting together a 225W flowering light which is a beast of a thing, it's an 850mm wide, 350mm deep sheet of 4mm aluminium with the biggest heatsink you have ever seen on the back (450mm x 300mm, 50 mm tall). It will have 50 627nm reds, 50 635nm reds and 50 660nm reds, for 150W of red light, that is a huge amount, need a large wattage of HPS to get that amount of red light. It will also have 25 cool whites, 25 warm whites, 15 royal blues and 10 blues. 225 1W LEDs should be an interesting amount of PAR radiation to play with in a grow cabinet of less than half a square metre (900mm x 440mm). A 400W HPS/MH is between 130 and 160W of PAR radiation, so I am going to have roughy 60% more PAR radiation than I am currently getting from my 400W HPS. Be interesting to see how that translates into bud production.

JamieShoes

Veteran
nice numbers man, and I love what you're doing with the DIY LED boards.. can I ask what you think the cost of the "beast" will be when it's finished?

will be very interesting to see in action, indeed :)