What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

400w HPS DR80 Air Pot grow!

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
NO!!!!! Blynx dont tell me that!! Yea I did end up with a different hood than pictured but it was exactly what they described which I had been wondering about when bidding cuz it said air cooled port on top and I also noticed my ballast was different than the one pictured!!! But found out it was a magnetic ballast in the pic cuz they hadn't got pics of what I got here's what they said.... I got it from New England Hydro by the way...

Here's what I sent....
Hi there so what I got from you guys isn't what was shown in the picture so I thought I had a hood that was closed with a glass plate and I also thought the digital ballast had a fan built in it which it shows in the picture. I also thought the ballast comes with a 5 year warranty but didn't receive any papers telling me anything about it or who makes it ect. So I'd like to know a little bit about what I just spent $200 on, is it supposed to take 60 seconds to ignite and turn my light on? That's what happens when I plug it in and plug my hood into it and I gotta say it kinda scared me not seeing anything happen when I plugged it in until a minute later. I'm a medical patient in California and it took me some time to save up for this equipment to grow my own medicine but I need to know it's going to be reliable and the details of my warranty or I'm going to return the item...

Here's what they said...
"The unit should look exactly like it does in the picture- we unfortunately did not have a pic of the top side but described the outlet on the top to attatch a vent to. - The vent is a huge advantage to have- when running a fan you can keep the unit so cool that you can leave your hand on it without feeling a burn. This will make your bulbs last 50% longer than if you leave in a hood.

You are describing glass on the hood- if the unit had glass it would not be able to ventilate- that would not only be a fire hazard but it would make your bulb go out. All modern ballast have a shut off when the bulb area gets to hot and if you had glass over the unit it would shut off within 10-15 minutes.

The 400 ballast runs cool enough fans are notat all needed- that was a picture of a magnetic ballast- what you received is a digital."

"I have 2 solutions to help assist
1- accept return for full refund
2- send a free replacement bulb for your concern so you will not need to buy replacements for the next couple of years."

Here's what I sent back..

That's fine and all I just want to know more about my ballast cuz I was going to get a CAP Next Gen 400w digi ballast for $200 so I was kinda upset not to see any kind of paperwork on my ballast I have no clue what the brand is or anything and I don't have time to send things back and wait another week or 2 so just my 5 year warranty on the ballast is what I really care about and you did describe the item correctly as a TOP Air hood so I'm not too upset just concerned cuz it's hard to tell if what I got is infact brand new. Paperwork and the bulb you speak of would do me fine. Do me right and you'll have more stuff being sent this way cuz I plan to upgrade in 3 months or so...

Here's what he said to that..
The warranty can be serviced directly through us- our info is forever saved in your paypal account and you can contact us directly whenever needed if you need servicing and we can assist right away.

Let us know your mailing address for the complementary bulb and we can ship right away.

thanks in advance for the good communication so we can help

I said..
p.s if that bulb could be a MH that would be AWESOME so I can see that it does in fact work for both I believe it just would be cool to see cuz I was going to have to veg under the HPS...

Thanks for the info on my warranty also is it normal for the ballast to take 45-60 seconds to fire up my bulb???

His answer..
yes- it takes a good deal of time for a hps or halide bulb to turn on - they are the same bulbs used to light tennis courts and sports stadiums- if you ever have noticed they start low and get very bright. I will have a metal halide sent your way

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
I thought I got took at first when my light didn't turn on for 60sec but I found out after trial and error it was the way I was plugging it in lol If I have the ballast plugged in and the plug my socket into it is when it takes 60 sec BUT! If I plug the socket cord into the ballast and then plug the ballast into the power strip it fires right up in 2 sec and my bulb is at full brightness within a minute or so which seems to be normal so I'm happy with what I have going on..

I took some pics of the light on at full blast in the tent and have it hung properly so we can all see how the light covers my space I'll post them in a little bit... My fan is here tomorrow!!!! Oh yea buddy it's about to go down folks!

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
I just took another look at my hood and bulb ect while it was off and I see what you mean Blynx it is a lil to the left but I can fix it from what I can tell so shouldn't be an issue I hope either way I should have some fat buds coming my way in about 21/2 months!

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Thundurkel...

I'm a bit late on this thread...interested to see what you can make happen using those Air-pots. I've been telling myself that will be a purchase of my own in the near future...so I'll be watching. Would love to hear how you think they work/compare to normal pots as the thread continues!

tagged!

dank.Frank

Strainbrain

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs
Veteran
Hey, bro! Sorry I'm late to the party, but it doesn't look like I've missed much. Congrats on your big-boy light! hehe

Sometimes the sockets in those hoods are adjustable to compensate for bulb length. (Mine is, for example - the socket slides and is held in place by a screw.) Have you checked to see if yours has something like that? (Edit: Just looked more at your pics and yeah, doesn't look like it.)

Check out these: http://www.buylightfixtures.com/mogul-base-socket-extenders.aspx :D

If I can give one piece of unsolicited advice as someone who's gone from CFLs to HPS himself... be prepared to feed. I still haven't got that dialed with my 250, cuz they're hungrier and show deficiencies a lot more suddenly than they do in my fluoro box. You've seen my last couple of posts... CFL clones are all green and perfect, while my tent looks all faded and scruffy. Just a heads-up. It's not gonna be the same ol' same ol'. :smoke:

-s

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Hahaha thanks Strainbrain that's good to know cuz I'm still not totally dialed with my nutes yet anyway since I've been testing different shit out with all those feebies I got but it'll be Organicare line for the first run...

S

Seismic

Good to see that you are up and running dude:joint: You will definitely like the 400w. Take care dude, and good luck:joint:

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Ok so here we go with how my lighting looks so far but keep in mind I am going to put 4ft 6500k T5 Sunblaze Strips in each corner for my love of CFLs haha and I believe it will give me better resin production than without them :joint:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

so there ya have it that was a full blast with the "tungsten" setting on my camera :woohoo:

jeremy

i would definately put the frame of your tent underneath the second floor. my second floor has straps on the backside to attach it to the poles ... i don't know if your poles are metal like mine but if so they would most def rust

i can't wait to see what you can do in this tent

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Ok so I messed around with my light and found out I had it screwed in too tight lol I backed it off about half a turn and it straightened right out! I'm going to get that socket extender though to get better light placement I guess you would call it haha I also fixed my floor thanks for pointing that out Jeremy my silly ass would've just filled it on up with plants haha I was so damn excited I looked at the directions once and got to putting that bitch together and I thought it was weird having a doubled bottom I should've noticed but here's how we look now...

picture.php

that's better wouldn't ya say?

picture.php

strapped to the poles waiting to be covered in air pots full of coco :joint:

picture.php

Customized hood by yours truly...

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
I guess it's still a lil off looking at that pic but you know maybe it's not the socket and it's the reflector itself being offset in the hood?

Tonatiuh

its me Dave man open up the door...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
nice tag on ur light yo,i burn too...i have some bad as pieces yo...
good to see ur cab comin together maing.
peace-T-

Mr.Bill

You might consider one of these

L8647.JPG

to push your bulb into the center of your hood

Now that is awesome, Im gonna pick me up a couple of those Right aaaaabbbbboouuuuuuttttt...Now ;) Most excellent indeed.

And don't think I haven't been lurking Thundurkel. It's going to be great watching you blow up the bigger digs. I swear I can feel your excitement in the words you type. Anyway I'm excited with ya man. I got ya tagged now.

stonedar

Macro-aggressor
Veteran
nice set up grats, it looks like that bulb could be more in the center of the reflector. get yourself one of these Mogul to Mogul Adaptors Used to center smaller wattage bulbs in pre-assembled A/C units. if your local hydro-store orders from hydrofarm heres the SKU: CSMOGADP good luck on your grow!

cant wait for this to start! I have watched all your cfl grows and they are amazing! so amazing I setup a 312 watt cfl cab. :) but I wanna replace that with a 250 hps and a few cfls. but a 400 sounds awesome. best wishes to your grow and hope to see huge nugs in a few month!

GROW ON!!

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Ok so my fan is out for delivery right now in my city!!! I also got my MH bulb that NE Hydro sent me for free since the pictures didn't match what I got though what I got was better anyway ahaha BUT!!! To my surprise I was given 2 not 1 but 2 count em 2 400w Reef Grow 10000K MH bulbs now I hope these are going to be ok for my veg cycle I don't see why they wouldn't cuz the spectrum seems to be very close to my mom cab with 6500K and 5000K cfls anyway here's what it looks like now at full blast... Oh yea and I found a 18gal Rubbermaid container in my alley!!! Can you say DWC??? I will probably try out a DWC run in my second time around...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

what do you all think???

Last edited: