What's new

4000w, 30 plants, Purple Diesel & White Russian

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
Went through both canopies and did some thinning... probably removed 10-20% of leaf. Not a whole lot of larfy to speak of, thankfully, and not only will the thinning help out what larf does exist, but needed to get some airflow through those bitches. The threat of PM still exists after seeing that isolated bit while back in veg.

While I was pulling acrobatic maneuvers to get through the garden, I snapped some pics of the 3 other plants.

Blue Cheese - this is definitely the frostiest slut of the garden, very nice pheno of the BC I acquired here. Wish I could've gotten a better shot, but it was a big enough PITA to just get any of these 3 pics. Let this girl grow natural, and the bottom branches are already trying to point at the ground just like the last Cheese pheno I was holding.
picture.php

LA Kush (LA con x OG) - So very kushy. Definitely wouldn't mind growing her again. Only snapped two branches and ended up with this pleasant bush.
picture.php

Qrazy Train - Definitely the lanky, more TW pheno, classic Trainwreckish smell, curious to see if she throws some purple as we near the end, but my guess is not. Also let her grow natural... sturdy pheno, but definitely will require some topping/snapping/training into a bush. Total yielder, pumped to be running her next round!
picture.php

budman678

I come from the land where the oceans freeze
Veteran
Don't worry, begin the flush on the 60 day strains. I like to really flush all nutes out. Plants must be ripe for the pickin'.

You won't be sorry With you TGA run.

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
Don't worry, begin the flush on the 60 day strains. I like to really flush all nutes out. Plants must be ripe for the pickin'.

You won't be sorry With you TGA run.

After the thinning session and getting a good look at the colas top to bottom, I got the sure notion that it is definitely time to start the flush on the Purple D's. They got their last full strength feeding today. WR flush I think will be started around day 49-50. This will be my first flush in quite a while. At my last garden we ran 100% "supersoil" just add water mix, which I'd got down pretty damn good over the couple years I was doing it. I'm working on making the decision as to whether or not I'm going to go that route for my next run....and, I've got a shitload of dry nutes. I should get the most indecisive grower of the year award.

I'm super stoked for the TGA run... QT clones are looking great and will be rooted in a couple days... As for the TGA gear I picked up, had 10/10 seedlings show themselves as of yesterday. My only concern is getting lucky and being blessed by the weed gods with keeper phenos out of a 5 pack of Plush and 5 pack of JTR. Looking back, should've gotten 10 packs. Yeah, indecisive. See what happens.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Your garden is looking fantastic. I think you're going to get some nice yield numbers. Great work

-Funk

Looks amazing! I really like the purpose built room.

I have never done the super soil method - Just Roots Organics soil + nutrients - and have played around with the idea for the last 2 of my 3 runs, lol. I am considered it again for the next run. Seems awesome due to easier automated watering. I run a lot less plants due to my cap of 6, and my next run is planned to only be 4 under a 4x4 screen (6 under a 4x4 atm, 1kW). Super soil seems like a very easy method. Maybe you should try half and half with the same strain, and see what your yield is like?

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
Your garden is looking fantastic. I think you're going to get some nice yield numbers. Great work

-Funk
Thank you! Well I sure fucking hope so. This is the first run in this garden... started with a bare piece of ground and (mostly) all new equip and supplies. But damn, the genetics are looking good... had an 8 week veg... running co2 in a sealed room... good nute sched... ideal temps and RH... 5gal smartpots... if I don't hit .44g per watt to reach 4lbs, I shouldn't be growing! :laughing:

Looks amazing! I really like the purpose built room.

I have never done the super soil method - Just Roots Organics soil + nutrients - and have played around with the idea for the last 2 of my 3 runs, lol. I am considered it again for the next run. Seems awesome due to easier automated watering. I run a lot less plants due to my cap of 6, and my next run is planned to only be 4 under a 4x4 screen (6 under a 4x4 atm, 1kW). Super soil seems like a very easy method. Maybe you should try half and half with the same strain, and see what your yield is like?

Thank you, and thanks for checkin' it out!

The method of pre-loaded, 100% organic mix, and just add water, is a tried and true gig, although if instructions aren't properly followed, it can be a PITA. But, done properly, it's so easy it should be illegal. Roots original has some followers... and you could use this as your base. But, something about it's consistency doesn't quite jive with me. My main word of advice is, if you decided to go that route, keep in mind that the most important aspect is letting your mix activate. Otherwise you'll be beating your head against the wall and saying "this shit doesn't fucking work!"

I have very, very much considered doing a side by side, how awesome would it be to put a big name nutrient line to shame...

I've had good luck using all Roots stuff for the last year. I had some issues with GH/Coco before, but I think that was the newbism speaking. My buddy who gives me input ran Roots in his few years of growing. He likes the KISS aspect. Soil, nutrient line, done. I have to agree, that aspect has been pretty good. And on a per run basis, its <$100. I run 6 plants in 5gal/ea.

The organic mix I am considering is what PK runs, which is:
1 x Bag of Ocean Forest
1 x Bag of Canna Coco
1 X Bag of Happy Frog
1/2 Bag Chunky Perlite
30# Earthwormcastings
6 cup pulverized dolomite lime 1-2 Cal/mag ratio
6 cups Bone Meal
3 cups Blood Meal
3 Cups Azomite
3 cups Greensand
3 cups Kelp Meal

He also gives it some basic tea, EWC and molasses IIRC. Pretty freaking simple. He says the girls love it more than anything else!

BTW I think you're totally going to hit .44gpw. I have hit that every time except my last, and my last had some serious over-heat issues plus I was slacking on the training. You are using CO2 and have what looks like many more tops. Also I was shocked to see you using a portable AC! I am wondering if that is where your air leak comes from. I re-read what you had after I finished the thread, and was shocked due to your HVAC pro signature line :D

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
I've had good luck using all Roots stuff for the last year. I had some issues with GH/Coco before, but I think that was the newbism speaking. My buddy who gives me input ran Roots in his few years of growing. He likes the KISS aspect. Soil, nutrient line, done. I have to agree, that aspect has been pretty good. And on a per run basis, its <$100. I run 6 plants in 5gal/ea.

The organic mix I am considering is what PK runs, which is:
1 x Bag of Ocean Forest
1 x Bag of Canna Coco
1 X Bag of Happy Frog
1/2 Bag Chunky Perlite
30# Earthwormcastings
6 cup pulverized dolomite lime 1-2 Cal/mag ratio
6 cups Bone Meal
3 cups Blood Meal
3 Cups Azomite
3 cups Greensand
3 cups Kelp Meal

He also gives it some basic tea, EWC and molasses IIRC. Pretty freaking simple. He says the girls love it more than anything else!

BTW I think you're totally going to hit .44gpw. I have hit that every time except my last, and my last had some serious over-heat issues plus I was slacking on the training. You are using CO2 and have what looks like many more tops. Also I was shocked to see you using a portable AC! I am wondering if that is where your air leak comes from. I re-read what you had after I finished the thread, and was shocked due to your HVAC pro signature line :D

Yup the organic mix is spot on when it comes to cost, it's totally the easist and care free way I've ever grown, and it's a perfect example of KISS being that I went from that method to liquid nutes. Because now feedings are a PITA and I have to flush. And, more expensive.

I like that recipe with the coco... last time I made up my own batch I used Sunshine #4 Advanced as a base, which has more coco than any other base I used and I do believe I had better results. But yeah that's very close to the same recipe I used for years with great results.

I have no doubts that I'll hit .44gpw, it's just that, being the first run in this room, with these genetics, plus all new equip, it's one of those "this better fucking go well" times. Haha!

What air leak do you speak of? Am I that stoned...?

The portable does it's job quite well, I can maintain ideal temps no prob (until the heat of the summer comes back around with the added dehuey), allbeit it did require some modification of the unit. The only reason I haven't upgraded to something better is a) $$$ b) not being able to decide exactly what I'm going to do, with no real rush. HVAC is my other hobby and passion, so I'm going with something super tricked out when it does happen :dance013:

Everything everyone says makes me want to go organic mixed soil. I figure I will need to mix up about 1.5 batches for 4 20gal's. Should work nicely. Now what to mix 12cf up in...

I def know the feeling. I was hoping for .44 my first run, and pulled .588, I was stoked. I changed strains since then, and its been a bit lower. We shall see how this next one goes! Always a fun game either way. I can't wait for end of term so I can enjoy my curing harvest!
Once I chop, I am going to go through with a fine tooth comb and eliminate every possible air leak in the room, and I believe this will help isolate the building from the outdoor conditions a little better. Thanks to my profession I have all the tools needed to determine the leakage rate of the room, and I'm going to nail the coffin shut on leakage. Probably save a little on co2 in the end.
I've heard portables leak through the housings. I know my window banger did, I did a good job sealing that up tho. (I use it with ducts much like a portable).

I look forward to your final solution. I long for the day where I can put a minisplit in. That will be so nice....

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
Everything everyone says makes me want to go organic mixed soil. I figure I will need to mix up about 1.5 batches for 4 20gal's. Should work nicely. Now what to mix 12cf up in...

I def know the feeling. I was hoping for .44 my first run, and pulled .588, I was stoked. I changed strains since then, and its been a bit lower. We shall see how this next one goes! Always a fun game either way. I can't wait for end of term so I can enjoy my curing harvest!I've heard portables leak through the housings. I know my window banger did, I did a good job sealing that up tho. (I use it with ducts much like a portable).

I look forward to your final solution. I long for the day where I can put a minisplit in. That will be so nice....
Yes that's one of the slight PITAs about it. Mixing!

I've never yielded less than lb per light, even throughout my last endeavor with a partner that was a lazy fuck....

Ahhh okay now I know what you meant. The portable I have did put a little negative pressure in the room due to leakage through the housing, and the fact that there wasn't an airtight seal between the evaporator fan and then exhaust fan, so the exhaust fan in the unit would overpower the evap fan and as a result put a slight negative pressure in the room. But, I fixed that. I more so meant that when I built the room I didn't go through every joint and seal it 100% airtight like I should've, and once I chop I will go through and do exactly that.

The final solution will either be a mini split, or I'm going going to design and build a system completely from scratch. It's gonna be the shit.

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
Okay so I'm going to update specifically for the Purple D's, as it's getting to be apparent that the chop for these ladies is getting very near. Unfortunately my 100x pocket microscope must've been lost in the split with the parter at my last garden, as I've been looking all over the fucking place for it to no avail. But, I've got a 40x loupe that works okay, kinda, to check trichs. And right now I'm seeing probably 5-10% amber. I'm sort of thinking I slacked a little late on the 2 week plain water flush, since today is only their second watering with plain water... the last being 3 days ago. So, I'm not sure if I should use a flushing product... like Clearex... to do the job. Like most of us, I REALLY don't like herb that hasn't been flushed properly. I've never really ran into this before... as many of my harvests haven't required a flush, and the ones that have, a 2 week plain water flush has always done the trick. But, with this strain looking like it's more of a 50-55 day strain than a ~65, I don't think a full two week plain watering flush is going to be an option. And, last to mention, a traditional flush of a onslaught of fresh water isn't exactly an option, for reasons mostly to do with location.

So, I'm interested in picking up some Clearex, but I've never gone this route before and am curious in some opinions... whether it's worth it, effective, etc. Or if I should just try to stretch them out.

The ladies are looking just fabulous, I've noticed some calxys swelling as of late, and have been supporting all of the colas leaning over on themselves... Most of the pistils are now orange, all the laides are looking extremely colorful, beginning to "autumn off" and they're telling me they'd like to be chopped very soon :woohoo:

And the pics...!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

More pics continued in next post...

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

And damn are they putting off an excellent aroma... mouth watering, in fact. Almost a textbook diesel smell with layers of dank fruityness.

I'll be picking up a 100x microscope later today, and be keeping an eye on the trichs. This girls are coming down soon!!

As for the WR's and the rest of the garden, I will update on those later this even or tomorrow.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Those are some big ladies you've got growing. As for using a flushing product or not that's up to you. I think it's a waste of money to buy something to flush your plants when you can just use water, which you have to pay for anyways. Those plants look great you're in for a good yield.

-Funk

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
Those are some big ladies you've got growing. As for using a flushing product or not that's up to you. I think it's a waste of money to buy something to flush your plants when you can just use water, which you have to pay for anyways. Those plants look great you're in for a good yield.

-Funk
Some of them are definitely getting hefty... and especially the WR is proving to be a late flower sweller.

I was at the hydro shop today and was reading the back of Clearex... like 5% glucose... soooo.... sugar water????

I'm just a tad unsure that I'll be able to properly flush the PD's sufficiently. I've always liked just feeding plain pH'd water the last two weeks and unfortunately I've already botched that plan, didn't plan on such a quick finish.

If the $30/gal sugar water will help, I suppose I'll give it a shot... :dunno:

Yield will be interesting.. new genetics, new room, new nutes, smart pots for the first time... Hmm. But with the way the WR's are swelling up, I'm thinking 4lbs will be a breeze. But I never like count my chickens before my eggs hatch... Always fun guessing tho...

Thanks for droppin' in man :tiphat:

M

Mr Wolf

Wow!

Solid grow man. Kudos. I'm growing White Russian myself. This is very interesting.

/W

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
Wow!

Solid grow man. Kudos. I'm growing White Russian myself. This is very interesting.

/W
Thanks man. Nice, I wish I knew more about the WR pheno I have... it's really kind of more of a citrusy... skunk... nothing unique smell but still pretty killer. The largest colas have turned into these huge, flat topped monsters. The ones that aren't foxtailing anyways :shucks: I'm not really sure when they're going to finish out, maybe 9 weeks I'm thinking at this point. Today is day 49 and will be the first plain pH'd watering.

I'll have some pics of the WR's as well as the lone Qrazy Train, Blue Cheese, and LA Kush here in a little while....

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
So here is an update on the White Russians... I picked up a pocket scope and was checking trichs earlier, and they are maybe 30% (?) cloudy... going to take a better look here in a while. But nonetheless I figured it's time to start the flush on these ladies as well. A few of the colas are going from some dank looking tops to foxtailing madness, but only on 1-2 plants... which is whatever... but otherwise these ladies are looking dank! Was checking them out last night right when lights when out and holy shit, some frosty individuals. The sugar/fan leaves don't really tell that tale, but these girls have thick resin in all the right places.

Here are some pics of the WRs... which will also follow by some pics of LA Kush, Blue Cheese, and Qrazy Train... which also have started there flush.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

More pics continued... next post...

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
Here's a couple shots of the LA Kush... this is the first strain I've grown with any OG genetics. And damn, this is a lovely cut. She'll definitely be in my garden again.

picture.php

picture.php

Blue Cheese... also will be in my garden again. Frostyyyy.

picture.php

picture.php

And finally, Qrazy Train. From far away where I can only see the very top of the main cola... it doesn't look like much... but up close this strain proves to be a DANK yielder with a nice FAT main cola, covered in trichs. I let this cut grow naturally, untopped and untrained to see the structure. So stoked to fill this room up with QT's next round!

picture.php

lotsOweed

That LA looks dank!! as well as the QT.. Just finished a couple runs of QT as well actually. Looked like a similar pheno to yours.. Didnt purple up too much but was covered in resin and smoked great