What's new

4000k or 3000k ?

LungCooking

Hey guys! ssup?

I would like to ask you guys if worth changing my led lights from 4000k color temperature to 3000k?
Do you think it worths the exchange? Will i notice any improvement in flowering?

Thanks in advance

troutman

Seed Whore
When I used MH a while back I was using 7,200K from start to finish.
Higher K's mean more blue light which is more natural I think.

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Certainly not worth changing at all... If anything 4000k is better... Spectrum is not a big deal...
As long as you have a legit LED chip/diode lm301b or bridgelux 2835 etc etc..... and not a blurple fixture... Your solid..

Make sure you have your light high enough so it spreads good also. Lot of people new to LED are keeping them too close to the plants, and having high intensity in center but not getting the spread they could.. So for example... 1000PPFD in center and 500PPFD in the corner because they have the LED 18" away... Instead of 800PPFD center and 800PPFD corner because the LED 24" away.....

As far as spectrum though, the added blue from 4k speeding up veg and making plants stretch properly for canopy control which affects your options for light height and intensity control which will add more yield than say advantageous red amounts and flower density... Plus the terpenes, and simulation of higher altitude spectrum is superior quality etc etc etc... Id rock 4k instead of 3k happily mang... You good

Koondense

Veteran
I prefer flowering under 3000K, they get bulkier but 4000K will still be ok if you already have them.

Cheers

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I thought about going from 3000 to 4000 as it's usually a more even RGB balance. With 3000 the red is always quite pronounced, which leads to saturation of the red, before the green and blue are also maxed out.
You are best not to go cooler, as too much blue is a problem. If we think about all the colours from the sun, blue might be 20% of the light we receive. Trying to push pass that has negative results. If we look and burple light, comprising of just red and blue, the effect of excess blue can be seen. Though we can't ignore peoples efforts to go beyond blue, into UV, specifically to annoy the plant. Which for cannabis just seems to change the flavour, along with the lowering of the yield. I have not seen any evidence of extra resin production, though the same amount of resin spread over smaller buds is impressive.
It's worth keeping in mind that LED lights get cooler over time. It's a loss of red driving this. Making 3000-3500 a good choice when new.

On the whole, they like light, are are not that fussy about spectrum. There is the option to add some 660nm auxiliary lighting, but it could just max out the red and cause problems, before your 400k's are in full use.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
When I used MH a while back I was using 7,200K from start to finish.
Higher K's mean more blue light which is more natural I think.

True.
MH has 30% blue light and helps keep the plants squat and compact during veg. After the flip to flower HPS is used, which conveniently is way more efficient, only has 4% blue and way more red.

troutman

Seed Whore
True.
MH has 30% blue light and helps keep the plants squat and compact during veg. After the flip to flower HPS is used, which conveniently is way more efficient, only has 4% blue and way more red.

I was using 600MH bulbs. I did get an HPS conversion bulb to try it out.
But hardly used it. I can't stand orange-pink type light. So it will be kept
as a spare should I use the MH fixtures again and a MH bulb burns out.
I tend to grow pure Sativas and I think MH is better suited for them.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I don't know in K temp. Convert the temperature to wavelengths. You want more blue (close to 400nm) in veg, and more red (close to 700nm) in flower.

But with only 500k difference, I doubt you'll notice.

LungCooking

i got some new led lights with 3000k temperature to use in flower! :) Planning on getting some deep red leds with 660nm to support them! I will get them from aliexpress soon and will use the 4k ones for vegetation... 🤘😎

Latest posts

Latest posts