What's new

400 Ballast Suggestions

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
My Sun System I HPS/MH magnetic ballast that I bought in 2010 looks like it's dying. It's having trouble firing up the bulb consistently, and it looks like it's getting worse.

The store I got my lighting from (GC Hydro) is no longer in business, and all I see on Amazon are cheap, <$100 ballasts that get some pretty bad reviews. I also need to find one that's compatible with the plug on my light hood, a Super Sun 2 Reflector. It looks like the cord is permanently attached to the reflector, so the plug would need to be compatible on the end that plugs into the ballast. I still need to unplug it and see exactly what kind of plug it is.

Any suggestions for a reliable DIGITAL 400 W HPS/MH ballast.

U

useless.gardens

you can just get a (new) starter for the ballast & fix it yourself.

while i prefer magnetic, i do have a nanolux in play that works perfectly.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Yep, mags will last a lifetime. Do a search for "HID ballast diagnostics" and see if it's the cap or the igniter. Whichever it is it'll be a simple replacement. Make sure you get the same rated part as you have in the ballast. :)

As for the 'reliable' digital ballasts...
:lurk:

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Yep, mags will last a lifetime. Do a search for "HID ballast diagnostics" and see if it's the cap or the igniter. Whichever it is it'll be a simple replacement. Make sure you get the same rated part as you have in the ballast. :)

As for the 'reliable' digital ballasts...
:lurk:

I'd be willing to try taking a look at my ballast, but I don't have any special skills or tools (like meters). I don't know if I'm up to the task. I wouldn't even know where to buy the parts.

Also, all the links I found about "HID ballast diagnostics" were for car headlights. Any more specific search suggestions or any particular links? I'm not having much luck.

The reason I was thinking digital is that my power goes off for a second or two pretty much every storm. That means my light goes off and doesn't come back on. It sometimes stays off for an entire light cycle if it happens in the middle of the night. My understanding is that digital ballasts don't have that problem, they automatically wait to try firing up the bulb again. Is there no such thing as a "reliable" digital ballast? Surely someone here must use and like them.

Also, apparently, magnetic ballasts DON'T last a lifetime. :dunno:

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
you can just get a (new) starter for the ballast & fix it yourself.

Where? How? Assume I know nothing about ballasts or how to fix them.

i do have a nanolux in play that works perfectly.

This is the only Nanolux 400 W ballast I could find. Looks nice. I'm not really sure if its connector is compatible with my light hood plug. Do they make adapters if not?

https://www.amazon.com/Nanolux-Digital-Ballast-400w-240v/dp/B07NC1VHQD/ref=lp_8270625011_1_15?srs=8270625011&ie=UTF8&qid=1568333384&sr=8-15#HLCXComparisonWidget_feature_div

U

useless.gardens

type into google BAASP or BAASR cord adapter.

that ballast you linked has BOTH connector types (sun sys & h'farm) on one plug.

just slide the door back and forth to expose one type or the other.

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
that ballast you linked has BOTH connector types (sun sys & h'farm) on one plug.

just slide the door back and forth to expose one type or the other.
The manufacturer has a video that shows the connectors, and one of them matches my plug. It has a 3-year warranty, compared to 1 or 2 for others I looked at. So I ordered one. Only downside, the only shipping option is best case almost 2 weeks. I guess they're shipping it directly from Australia, which is where the company is located.

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Lamp not restriking after a power outage could be lamp choice. Some are rated for a hot re-strike, others are not. There are timers which start after a power outage to let the lamp cool, and I've always wanted them. lol Oh well.

Here's a halfway decent HID diagnostics list

Hope it helps

Thanks. I'd still like to try fixing my old ballast, to have as a backup. After I get the new one set up, I won't have to worry about trying to deal with it during the night cycle.

However, that link doesn't seem to work. The browser says the server's configured incorrectly and it won't connect. Some kind of security issue.