What's new

4 Americans get pot from U.S. government

zeke99

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2011-09-28/us-marijuana-supply/50581346/1
The AP asked the agency that administers the program, the National Institute on Drug Abuse, for documents showing how much marijuana has been sent to patients since the first patient in 1976.

The agency supplied full data for 2005-2011, which showed that during that period the federal government distributed more than 100 pounds of high-grade marijuana to patients.

Agency officials said records related to the program before 2005 had been destroyed, but were able to provide scattered records for a couple of years in the early 2000s.

The four patients remaining in the program estimate they have received a total of 584 pounds from the federal government over the years. On the street, that would be worth more than $500,000.

All of the marijuana comes from the University of Mississippi, where it is grown, harvested and stored.

Dr. Mahmoud ElSohly, who directs the operation, said the marijuana was a small part of the crop the university has been growing since 1968 for all cannabis research in the U.S. Among the studies are the pharmaceutical uses for synthetic mimics of pot's psychoactive ingredient, THC.

ElSohly said the four patients are getting pot with about 3 percent THC. He said 3 percent is about the range patients have preferred in blind tests.

The marijuana is then sent from Mississippi to a tightly controlled North Carolina lab, where they are rolled into cigarettes. And every month, steel tins with white labels are sent to Florida and Iowa. Packed inside each is a half-pound of marijuana rolled into 300 perfectly-wrapped joints.

With Musikka living in Oregon, she is entitled to more legal pot than anyone in the nation because she's also enrolled in the state's medical marijuana program. Neither Iowa nor Florida has approved marijuana as a medicine, so the federal pot is the only legal access to the drug for the other three patients.

The three other people in the program range in ages and doses of marijuana provided to them, but all consider themselves an endangered species that, once extinct, can be brushed aside by a federal government that pretends they don't exist.

All four have become crusaders for the marijuana-legalization movement. They're rock stars at pro-marijuana conferences, sought-after speakers and recognizable celebrities in the movement.

Irv Rosenfeld, a financial adviser in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., has been in the program since November 1982. His condition produces painful bone tumors, but he said marijuana has replaced prescription painkillers.

Rosenfeld likes to tell this story: In the mid-1980s, the federal government asked his doctor for an update on how Rosenfeld was doing. It was an update the doctor didn't believe the government was truly interested in. He had earlier tried to get a copy of the previous update, and was told the government couldn't find it, Rosenfeld said.

So instead of filling out the form, the doctor responded with a simple sentence written in large, red letters: "It's working."​

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ElSohly said the four patients are getting pot with about 3 percent THC. He said 3 percent is about the range patients have preferred in blind tests.

Not sure i could grow anything that low and would gain little from it if i did , they must be chainsmokeing them.

supermanlives

Veteran
3 percent thc. what are they smoking mexi swag.why would anyone preferr such a low thc. dont make sense.

toohighmf

Veteran
most people on the government program have serious pain concerns. in a lot of cases, THC is not as effective as CBD's or CBN's for pain relief. perhaps this low THC strain was engineered just for that pourpose. some don't want to be high, but want the pain relief.. I get it, I just don't don't get how to produce so low a percentage of THC. even shwag has like 7-15%

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
ive know Elvy Musikka for more then 14 years and have partaken in some of her government weed, if you can call it that....

its 90% stick, stems and fan leaves. its so damn dry, it goes up almost instantly. Elvy has to unravel each one and spray it with water to rehydrate it and take all the stems out and re rolls it....

she says the government told her there are no buds because "it gums up there rollers".....

zeke99

ive know Elvy Musikka for more then 14 years and have partaken in some of her government weed, if you can call it that....

its 90% stick, stems and fan leaves. its so damn dry, it goes up almost instantly. Elvy has to unravel each one and spray it with water to rehydrate it and take all the stems out and re rolls it....

she says the government told her there are no buds because "it gums up there rollers".....

That's very interesting and funny. Thanks for sharing. Even with this program, the Feds are chizzlers.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The lab guys are smoking all the buds and giving the shake and stems to the patients. Kinda hard to believe only 4 people out of 300 million have a legit reason to toke for health reasons, in fact it is impossible.

Cappy

Government pot is grown at the University of Mississippi. Look up the head of the program, a real waste of humanity. The shit they send out is not "high grade", it's a horror of carcinogenic smoke with little or no effect on an average tolerance person.

What happened to the other 10 or so on the program just a few years ago? The government successfully wait out the issue till their deaths? Shocking! not...

I believe it. There's that one PBS Montana documentary that shows the weed the guy was getting from the feds, looked like some trim.

hazy

Veteran
They must be blind, dumb and stupid.
Let's see, I'll use Krunch as an example:
Doc: Well Krunch, did you prefer sample 1 or 2 or 3?
Krunch: Sample 1 most definitely without doubt, Doc.
Doc: Well, Mr Krunch, you chose the Indiana ditchweed over the Faceoff OG Kush and over the Blackberry kush.

Dr. Mahmoud ElSohly, who directs the operation, said the marijuana was a small part of the crop the university has been growing since 1968 for all cannabis research in the U.S.

No wonder they aren't discovering lots of medical uses in these government sponsored tests, I don't see any medical benefit of 3% THC pot either.

The agency supplied full data for 2005-2011, which showed that during that period the federal government distributed more than 100 pounds of high-grade marijuana to patients.
distributing 100 lbs of dirtweed would get you or me busted.

Last edited:
G

guest86120975

I can confirm that yes, they only send them leaves, not the buds. It's pretty bass ackwards if you ask me, but hey..what can you expect from the government?

I am wondering though, why hasn't/can't someone sue the government for discrimination surrounding this program?

BigDawg

are they hoping they will get sick or die so they can say "hey we did a test and this person died smoking cannabis"?

SpaceKiller

yea you can watch urban growers vids, he gets some fed bud.

it came in these gold bags that go through radiation... leave it to the feds to make everything more dangerous than it actually is.. anyway it was nothing but shake and stems.. it looked like those stupid herbal knock offs you see in every cannabis site.

the good buds are being sold illegally and to the cartels, simple. i mean honestly you think the feds are going to toss away all that good bud and not cash in on it somehow.. while still trying to seem like they produce the safer product.. such a joke.

i laughed pretty hard at 3%, coming from people who actually have full rights to study cannabis all their lives.. thats all they can produce.. complete bullshit and lies. just sad they sell the good shit on the side and the patients are paying for the shit they dont want thinking its all they have to offer.

ever since i seen federal pot, i knew they were ripping people off while keeping the same level of corruption they have been for too many years now.

SpaceKiller

I can confirm that yes, they only send them leaves, not the buds. It's pretty bass ackwards if you ask me, but hey..what can you expect from the government?

I am wondering though, why hasn't/can't someone sue the government for discrimination surrounding this program?

lol sue the government id love to see that happen successfully without involving literal blood shed or your bank account being completely drained.