What's new

3LB's Molasses - The Miracle Addative

T

TribalSeeds

I am not comfortable with the idea of putting raw sugars in the form of molasses directly in a hydro setup.
One that is not already well colonized with beneficial bacteria that is.
It might create anaerobic conditions detrimental to your setup.

Brewing a tea containing molasses,to the point where bacteria have made full use of the raw sugars,might be the way to go in hydro.
This might allow you to build up the beneficial bacteria in a hydro setup which will in time allow you to pour molasses directly into your solution.
Any experience with that someone ?

peace

I've read that when you have brewed some tea you shouldn't add more food for the beneficials directly to your res

dr.penthotal

Chasing the orange grapefruit rabbit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I like honey in substitution of raw molasses. Organic, pure honey is good and always worked good for me. I have access to real organic honey (please read labels if it's pure or amix of imported/local honey) that makes it just a solution of sugars and water.
Honey itself has some antibacterial/antifungal activity, but only when it's in his normal concentration and in the form that comes out the hive. This allows honey jars not to rot or ferment at normal ambient temperatures and doesn't need any refrigeration....Honey contains till 20% of water. More water in it may lead to spontaneus fermentation, as his primary antibiotic power is given by high osmotic pressure of it (consider it's an extra saturated solution of sugars and even for your toungue it tastes intense...). Normally nothing can grow in it...
If you mix it with lot of water the story changes. All sugars diluited in water are from natural source and are almost all glocose and fructose, readily avilable sugars for near all the organism.
It's true that honey has some traces of propolis (which is a special mixture of smelly ingredients collected by bees and has a strong antibiotical activity, but once again, once diluited loses a lot of his power. Don't be afraid of a natural wonderful product like honey. Bacterias and fungi in soil will like it so much. Think also that is a predigested food. I like to add foods that have passed through an animal...
But ALWAYS make sure it's REAL honey, as there are a lot of shitty mixtures around. Best is to get it directly from a beekeper...
My 2 cents and experience so far. Open to any comments/ideas, questions. I'm quite aknowledged on the subject.
regards
Dr.P

skunkbear

Big thanks! Im brewing a blackstrap molasses, worm casting, liquid kelp tea, i got from this site. this stuff works great!

L

Luther Burbank

I miss the three little birds. Bumping some feel good old school memories.