What's new

300 watt

methias

I bought a MH 300 W led grow light back in March of 2018.
I was surprised to find out the actual (measured) watt draw to be 118 watts. Yes my girls liked the added light but it puts out quite a bit of heat and it stirs the heat up in my cabinet with the side discharging of hot air.
Heat is an issue here and so I did some modifications that helped.
I opened it up, pulled out the underpowered fan and replaced it with a better one. I removed the fan guard and flipped the fan over to blow up and out the back rather than down. I attached a section of 6inch dryer flex duct to direct the warm air towards my cabinet exhaust fan where the heat is now removed. :woohoo:
This added less than one watt to the total draw but reduced the heat load by 10+% :dance013:

A friend gave me his old MH 300 when he upgraded and I had an idea.
I turned it into a 12 volt 260 watt (true watt draw) fixture.
First I disassembled it, separated the heat sink from the led board and put the leds and power supplies aside.
I have a MeanWell 12-360 (12volt 360 watt) to supply power already.

For the assembly I took six 12 volt 50 watt full spectrum cobs, a sheet of aluminum, heat transfer tape, and two six foot #10/2 copper power cables (to handle the amps) and a better fan.
I attached the heat sink and the COB's to opposite sides of the aluminum sheet, attached that to the housing without the glass, hooked the fan up to pull air across the heat sink and exhaust it out the back towards the cabinet exhaust as before.
The COB's are cool enough to touch without burning my hand so I know it's cooling well.
It's amazing how much more light my 12 volt version puts out than the original MH300 does.
My current grow is without the original (120 volt) MH300 and doing so well that I am considering converting my original MH300 with a slightly different spectrum mixture of 30 watt COB's.

IMHO heat is an ongoing battle for many indoor growers. Having a fan pull the cool air across the heat sink and blow the warm air out of the cabinet seems like a no brainer to me. Yes you need a slightly better fan and some baffles to keep the airflow moving across the heat sink but the cost is nominal.

Anyone else have heat issues with those fixtures? I'd love to hear what solutions others have come up with.

Vape on kids.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
I bought a MH 300 W led grow light back in March of 2018.
I was surprised to find out the actual (measured) watt draw to be 118 watts. Yes my girls liked the added light but it puts out quite a bit of heat and it stirs the heat up in my cabinet with the side discharging of hot air.
Heat is an issue here and so I did some modifications that helped.
I opened it up, pulled out the underpowered fan and replaced it with a better one. I removed the fan guard and flipped the fan over to blow up and out the back rather than down. I attached a section of 6inch dryer flex duct to direct the warm air towards my cabinet exhaust fan where the heat is now removed. :woohoo:
This added less than one watt to the total draw but reduced the heat load by 10+% :dance013:

A friend gave me his old MH 300 when he upgraded and I had an idea.
I turned it into a 12 volt 260 watt (true watt draw) fixture.
First I disassembled it, separated the heat sink from the led board and put the leds and power supplies aside.
I have a MeanWell 12-360 (12volt 360 watt) to supply power already.

For the assembly I took six 12 volt 50 watt full spectrum cobs, a sheet of aluminum, heat transfer tape, and two six foot #10/2 copper power cables (to handle the amps) and a better fan.
I attached the heat sink and the COB's to opposite sides of the aluminum sheet, attached that to the housing without the glass, hooked the fan up to pull air across the heat sink and exhaust it out the back towards the cabinet exhaust as before.
The COB's are cool enough to touch without burning my hand so I know it's cooling well.
It's amazing how much more light my 12 volt version puts out than the original MH300 does.
My current grow is without the original (120 volt) MH300 and doing so well that I am considering converting my original MH300 with a slightly different spectrum mixture of 30 watt COB's.

IMHO heat is an ongoing battle for many indoor growers. Having a fan pull the cool air across the heat sink and blow the warm air out of the cabinet seems like a no brainer to me. Yes you need a slightly better fan and some baffles to keep the airflow moving across the heat sink but the cost is nominal.

Anyone else have heat issues with those fixtures? I'd love to hear what solutions others have come up with.

Vape on kids.
You do know that LEDs don't draw as much hence, why the world is heading that way, not just cannabis growers. The fact that LEDs draw less from the wall = a lesser light, which IMHO is complete BS. That being said... the marketing of LEDs that x, y or z is equivalent to x, y or z HPS/MH alouette, is also misleading. A 100w incandescent light buld drew 100w/hr. An equivalent to 100W incandescent = 20-30W/hr. But, to say via marketing that using 100 watts worth of LEDs = 100W hps or whatever, is definitely not necessarily accurate. However, that being said, LEDs do not have the same penetration as HPS has.

methias

You do know that LEDs don't draw as much hence, why the world is heading that way, not just cannabis growers. The fact that LEDs draw less from the wall = a lesser light, which IMHO is complete BS. That being said... the marketing of LEDs that x, y or z is equivalent to x, y or z HPS/MH alouette, is also misleading. A 100w incandescent light buld drew 100w/hr. An equivalent to 100W incandescent = 20-30W/hr. But, to say via marketing that using 100 watts worth of LEDs = 100W hps or whatever, is definitely not necessarily accurate. However, that being said, LEDs do not have the same penetration as HPS has.

Yes, thank you, :tiphat:
I am aware of the lower draw of LED's.
However I am talking about the actual watt draw, not "equivalent to".
A 16 watt led puts out roughly the same lumens as a 100 watt incandescent.

So when I state that I have about 400 (actual) watts of LED's I have around 32000 lumens on Judy. Not the 6400 lumens 400 watts of incandescent create.
Screw the marketing hype. I measure watt draw.

I want deep penetration everywhere. I have 2 quantum boards above and some on the sides of the cabinet. I have multiple full spectrum COB's and a deep red and a violet cob. All ringing Judy from every angle including below. As to coverage, Think lydar mapping technology. Multiple lasers shining down through the canopy and reflecting back off the ground to give us an accurate map of the ground right through the jungle.

I have no experience with hps and so I cannot comment on it's penetration or lumens or equivalent.

Thanks again for your input.

Vape on kids.

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
Thanks for using our old mars300:huggg:, buddy. We have stopped to produce this model. Because we released some QB design lights last year and people love them a lot. The TS600 is the one to replace mars300.

It is a nice handwork to redesign the mars300 with some cobs. The spectrum might be similar with the QB design. For the new light, we use extension cord to mount the drivers out of tent or cabinet to control the heat. :tiphat:

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
Did you have a chance to use our new quantum board light? Buddy.
I believe you will be impressed by it. :biggrin:

Latest posts

Latest posts