What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

3 tent multi strain grow.

OrganicFarmer

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sea, do you have worms? If so, what method do you use for harvesting the castings? Seems like it's going to be hard to seperate the castings from the rest of the bedding and unbroken-down plant material.been kicking around the section method, but I'm not sure how to get it into the rotation as currently it's in the lasagna method.

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
I dont currently... had a flow through but it got too moist and got funky... you got pics of the bin?

OrganicFarmer

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just use 2 30 gallon sterilite. Put five 4" pots in the bottom of one. Then I drill 1/8" holes a in the top one. 1/16" holes in the side for ventilation and 1/2" holes in the lid. I used the lasagna method of stacking. I used coco,news paper, paper towels, and cardboard for bedding. I think the sectioning method would be more ideal.use 4 sections. I guess they chase the good stuff to the new section after they are finished.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
you could probably add a third tier and have them migrate upwards... that or start a second bin and let em finish the first... I like the screened side by sides... where you fill one side leaving the other empty, and when youre ready, you start filling the other half and the worms migrate through the screen sideways...

OrganicFarmer

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got 5 lbs so in 3 months they'll double. Man I can't wait until they can eat all the frest waste we produce. My wife juices every day. We have tons of pulp and seeds. They love that stuff.

OrganicFarmer

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pulled two of the cups that didn't make it. I'm going to rearrange the worm bin today and split it into two bins.

OrganicFarmer

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Had some fungus gnats pretty bad. I also had a couple other bugs I found in the 4x2. Went and got some mosquito BT packs. 3 days later hardly see one now. I also picked up some captain jacks deadbug. I pulled the s1's I had in there and now i need to clean.

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
I cant recommend rove beetles enough times... they make a great preventative against anything with a life stage in your soil.

OrganicFarmer

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I cant recommend rove beetles enough times... they make a great preventative against anything with a life stage in your soil.

Thanks sea4. How many would you suggest I get? I see 500 adults for $67. That sounds like a lot for a 4x2 3x3 and 4x4. I could always throw some in with the worms, as they help with decomposition of organic material. Will the spinosad that I sprayed kill them? Also will they eat red mites. I noticed what look to be red mites around the rim of one of my bins. I think those suck blood from the worms. So if they would help with that, it would be a bonus.

If you know of any others to recommend, let me know.

On another note. I'm switching back to soil, unless this run surprises me.

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
they will eat the mites... but if those mites you saw are fast moving, they are probably predators... I dont use spinosad so I couldnt say for sure but I thought you were in soil...

OrganicFarmer

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was in soil until this round. I'm giving coco a shot. I TPed the plants in the party cups of coco back into happyfrog.

The mites I saw where on the rim of my worm bin out in the garage. Would it we benefitial to put some rove beetles in with the worms? I'm also going to try some fly and mosquito control with beneficials.

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
I'd say those mites are either decomposers scavengers or predators depending on how fast they move. Not likely to be pests as there's no living plants in the worm bin to feed on... and we do have a local red predatory mite. However, there is a red mite that is parasitic on adult worms and eggs.. theyre quite a bit more rare, but Rove beetles would absolutely take them on and decrease their numbers to unnoticeable in short order.
The adult parasite red mite is smaller than white or brown mites, it has an egg-shaped body, is bright red, and has eight legs in this basic shape.
Eartmite.jpg

ghostmade

Veteran
Ive been lucky with worm bins.i always see bugs and shit in there.but the my worm pro freind said a heathy worm bin will have all kinds of biology.im learning i. Telling the difference .but it aint easy.i say make sure that there are not bad mites befor you go and mess with the balance of local biology.maby there freindlys and looking to make a home there.which would out compete any potential harmful pest that can be introduced.

Or just listen to seafour.lol

Last edited:

OrganicFarmer

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Up potted to 2 gallons. They're starting to turn the corner. Coco is not for me at the moment. 3 for 3 on SG kraken. These can obviously take some punishment. 2 for 3 on BOG Blue Kush. 1for 3 on Cali Connection Buddah Tahoe OG. I lost them due to underwatering.