What's new

2xDWC ready to flower?

plants look great.. though i have a feeling they may outgrow your cabinet? Try using a scrog setup. I did it once and double my yeild, the whole time i was doing it i thought i was going to get the same yeild. Until i harvested i had no idea how nice that method is for a smaller space.

I think they look okay. I cut down one male which was the tallest plant and adjusted the lights, trimmed some bottom leaves, etc.

I completely agree with you that a SCROG setup would be perfect. Especially for Indica varieties which tend to be short and bushy. With SCROG you can spread them out a bit more, get an even canopy, and get more light to the bud sites.

I think this will be on the list for cabinet improvements after this grow is complete. I also want to setup something where I'm running some kind of small recirculating DWC (RDWC or UCDWC) so that I do not need to open each bucket, check pH and adjust, check EC and add nutrients. I would simply do that at a central location; most likely the reservoir.

I made a quick sketch about how I'd set that up and I think it would work nicely. I should clean it up and post in the grow room design forum for comments.

I'd like to add a continuous pH and EC meter and nutrient doser but those systems are really expensive. The meters are not so expensive, but the automatic nutrient dosers are expensive.

Today I also brought another air pump, small plastic box, and airstone. The beginnings of an aerocloner, but it might start out as a DWC cloner until I find somewhere to get the PVC pipe and sprayers.

kikkoman66

You got a nice, clean setup there. Good luck on the rest of the grow and the one after that.
I've grown Nirvanas Aurora indica two times now. Once in a DWC with a circulating water pump under 2x200w cfl's. And after that in soil in 30l containers under 600w parabolic HPS.
Both methods provided me with some tight quality indica nuggets. "A mellow hammer to the head"
Only problem under cfl's comes from the huge leaves that almost prevented light penetration to the lower leaves&nugs.
Low-stress training, scrogging (like ChronicFUNK suggested) or vertical lightning (like yourself was pondering) are wise moves when using low lightning.

I switched to vertical lightning but it requires that you train your plants under and around the bulbs to get the maximum benefit, and catch every precious lumen.

Again. good luck with the grow!

Kikkoman I completely agree about CFLs and the enormous fan leaves. I think it's really worth purchasing a switchable MH/HPS kit which includes everything. That could replace the two horizontal CFLs which I'd move so they are either vertical, or under the canopy providing a bit more light inside the plants.

I an hoping that because these are only a few weeks into flower that I can still take some cuttings and hopefully get clones... I have plenty of seed as a backup, though. I want to make my own seeds someday so I am keeping some cuttings from the male.

I made the DIY DWC cloner today; few minutes with a hole saw. I still don't have sprayers, so it's not an areocloner yet. It's just bubbling away increasing the waters DO and coming up to room temperature.

When the lights come on I'll install it and take some cuttings.

I took some macro photographs today. Unfortunately my camera is poor and the white balance makes it hard to see the nice white hairs.

I had to cull one more male so now there is only one large female and a smaller unknown sex plant remaining. Still hoping to get some good yield from her.

I took some cuttings from the female and male, but the male cuttings do not seem to want to go back to vegetative growth. I may have to just let them grow and harvest the pollen once they are ready. Sorry there's no photographs today, but here are the macro shots for you to hopefully enjoy. :)

I thought I'd mention that it's fine to read books or information online but it's when you do your first grow that you really start to learn. I now see there are 101 (or more) big and small things that I could improve or do differently to make maintenance easier, or to produce more.

I am looking forward to the harvest of this grow. Not just for the bud but also so that I can start improving my setup. Maybe even another grow tent!

:artist:

kikkoman66

What keeps me coming back to growing time and again, is the fact that you never stop learning, and you never stop improving your skills.
Even my worst failures have taught me valuable lessons :D

Tatz

Looking goood !!! I think you are getting tuned in, next grow with clones of this will be better, next one even better.
Two small thoughts from humble me. A. Your clones don´t need all that light. A 5-7W cfl will do the job nicely, all they need is a high humidity (dome) and wamth, they´ll root.(The yellowing leaves might indicate rooting going on). B. You cán take cuts from flowering plants, give 'em 18/6 and you're good....
Keep up the nice show, love all the pic's and cant w8 to see the outcome !

Thanks Tatz. :)

Unfortunately I think there has been some pollen floating around so I won't have a seedless harvest, but that's okay. I was planning to pollinate at least one branch anyway. Unless I'm mistaken and this is simply normal swelling of the buds. I will post some more pictures later.

I think you're right about the amount of light for the clones. It's too much. The clones are actually doing great in the bubbler now. A few died, a few are almost getting too big for the area.

I might have to move them to a larger space and hopefully harvest the main cabinet soon. However, if there are seeds I want them to be mature. It will be a bit of a trade-off between potent bud and mature seeds. Not sure where I'll draw the line yet.

I've been checking the trichomes with a handheld microscope (no easy task!) and they are still clear. I'm looking for a stoned/knock-out/pain-relieving effect, so a later harvest.

Those plants look great an really healthy!
nice going and i reakon they well ready for 12/12 also,

Thanks. :) Yeah. I switched to 12/12 some time ago. I should be keeping better records and notes. I will next time.

Here is the picture I forgot to post yesterday. Unfortunately my camera is rather terrible and doesn't really capture the details. I am not sure whether this looks like developing seeds?

It's one of the smaller buds, further from the lights, but this just happened to be the best quality photograph. I think my camera doesn't like to play nice when it's very close to the light.

picture.php

Bennyweed1

Veteran
Thanks. :) Yeah. I switched to 12/12 some time ago. I should be keeping better records and notes. I will next time.

Here is the picture I forgot to post yesterday. Unfortunately my camera is rather terrible and doesn't really capture the details. I am not sure whether this looks like developing seeds?

It's one of the smaller buds, further from the lights, but this just happened to be the best quality photograph. I think my camera doesn't like to play nice when it's very close to the light.

View Image

Its hard to tell man! You could always pluck one and peel it open to check for a developing seed embryo. Hope you're not pro life lol. j/k!

Yeah. I thought they looked like seeds. At least if I let them mature I'll have plenty to keep in storage. :) Too bad I didn't remove the males quick enough.

Apologies for not updating this thread in such a very long time. :tumbleweed:

I have my harvest now; 4 large (2 litre) jars about 80% full after the drying and curing process but more importantly a lot of knowledge gained from this first attempt.

I tried some in a bong and the smoke is pretty nice and has the desired effects. I am going to save as much as I can until I can purchase a vaporizer.

I hope to purchase a grow tent which would fit inside my walk-in closet because the Ikea cabinet was a bit too noisy in the bedroom. I slept in the living room during some nights.

I have a lot of respect for people who are able to grow great plants and/or on a large scale. Now I have even more respect for them given the time and effort required.

I hope the next project will be within this year. Until then, thank you everyone for the advice and knowledge.

:thank you: