What's new

2x3x4 320w CFL scrog

rave420

Hey Folks,

I asked for help and advice earlier, and i finally got around to put my cab together and finalize it. I love it so far. But let the pics speak for themselves.

PICT0818_resize.JPG

the growroom, Using one 50CFM exhaust fan to pull hot air out of the top, and passivley sucking in cold air in the bottom. The other fan just helps to circulate the air around more evenly and prevents hotspots. Room temp is 68F, and the temp in the box does not exceed 80F and is usually around 78F.
The fan is hooked up to a dimmer, and you can regulate the noise / airflow pretty effectively

8 40w 3000k 2600lumen each for the lights, the dimensions of the screen is 24x20 inches.

Here are some numbers.
Using the whole space to grow (6sqft)= 53w/sqft or 3500 lumen/sqft
Using the screen only = 96w/sqft or 6300 lumen/sqft

I should be able to grow some nice buds using that setup, for personal medical use only of course :rasta:

PICT0821_resize.JPG

there are 9 unknown bagseed strains that had a lot of stress untill now, which will be switched to 12/12 tomorrow. The screen is there so i can fuck around with it and get some experience before i put in my clones. This is essentially a test run. If males pop up they will be seperated and i make some seeds. The plants seem to like the room.

Speaking of wich...
The plants are in various sized pots, i am trying to find the right size so they grow the right amount. They are growing in a mixture of 30% container soil 60% Original Sea Soil and 10% perlite.

PICT0820_resize1.JPG

i hope all goes well and i can gather some experience. I can use this grow to fine-tune the cab and get it ready for some good genetics. Also i want to get an idea of what yield i can pull of one plant if they are kept short.

comments, questions and criticism are welcome of course :smoker:

rave420

btw, feel free to throw in some suggestions, like, how would you continue to grow if the room magically appeared at your place?

I am a bit troubled my my temperatures, and i think that judging by the amount i read i should have my degree in room-ventilation now :D

Let me clarify a few things. The temps are around 75-80 right now, but only because the box stands in a 50F warm room. I can "dial" two stable temps, one of them being 85F, and the other option is 65-70F. Both seem on the opposite end of the scale of what is okay, and i am quite anoyed by that.

I can suck in Air from outside, but that air is WAY to cool and chills the room too much.
Then, i can suck in air when i leave the window open (like i do now) and i reach a constant 65F. I open it a crack and i am at 75. If i close it completley the room heats up untill the high 90s. If i reverse the fan i can alter the effect a bit, but not much.

Now, what am i supposed to to? My intention was to leave the box in a 68-70F warm room, but the temps inside the room would reach 85F.

I need to know what temperature range is acceptable for the cultivation of Cannabis.
I used the search function, but the answers were to vague. Are there people who sucessfully grow good weed in rooms above 85+?

Also, cross your fingers for females. Switched to 12/12 last night. I noticed a HEAVY smell when i came home and the lights were off. I mean... Damn. Not like buds per se, but such a pungent weed smell... wow. i opened the cab a tad, expecting to find them in full bloom, but they are nothing but leaves. How can they smell so powerful? I will drop a coupple of pics along the way, but i won't post much pics till flower starts. Nothing is less exciting than seeing a plant grow inch by inch when it isn't flowering.

3dDream

Matter that Appreciates Matter
Veteran
These plants like what we like. The 90's and 100's are a bit too much. They will need to drink more if they are hot.

found this online:
Marijuana can withstand extreme temperatures however it will slow down it's chemical processes so a stable temperature of 20C/68F is best. Under 14C/57F the marijuana plants roots growth will slow down quickly so low temperature will give weak marijuana plants so don't put the pots directly on a cold floor,it will slow down root growth. Over 24C/75F pests will have the perfect place to grow so keeping the temperature in the room stable will save you from a lot of trouble. When you have a 1000 watts or more burning the room will heat up rapidly especialy in summer so a fan might be needed. In winter with the lights on you might not need a fan but when the lights are off for twelve hours the temperature will drop quickly,so you can use a electric or gas heather with a thermostat to keep the temperature stable. If you use a fan don't let it blow to hard directly onto the marijuana plants,to much wind will keep the plant short and it will use it's energy to make a thick stem instead of wide branches.

What are you doing for the smell?

How far away are the lights?

Where in the cab are you measuring the temps?

3dDream

Matter that Appreciates Matter
Veteran
found one more:

TEMPERATURE - Cannabis Growing Guide

Proper temperature is one highly variable factor. Most books state optimum grow temperature to be 70-80 degrees, but many list extenuating circumstances that allow temperatures to go higher. Assuming genetics is not a factor, plants seem to be able to absorb more light at higher temps, perhaps up to 90 degrees. High light and CO2 levels could make this go as high as 95 degrees for increased growth speed.* An optimum of 95 degrees is new data that assumes very-high light, CO2 enrichment of 1500 ppm and good regular venting to keep humidity down. It is not clear if these temperature will reduce potency in flowers. It may be a good idea to reduce temperatures once flowering has started, to preserve potency, even if it does reduce growth speed. But higher temperatures will make plants grow vegetatively much faster, by exciting the plants metabolism, assuming the required levels of CO2 and light are available, and humidity is not allowed to get too high.

With normal levels of CO2, in a well vented space, 90 degrees would seem to be the absolute max, while 85 may be closer to optimum, even with a great deal of light available. Do not let the room temperature get over 35 C (95 F) as this hurts growth. Optimal temperature is 27-30 C (80-86 F) if you have strong light with no CO2 enrichment. Less than 21 C (70 F) is too cold for good growth.

Low temperatures at night are OK down to about 60 degrees outdoors, then start to effect the growth in a big way. Mid 50s will cause mild shock and 40s will kill your plants with repeated exposure. Keep your plants warm, especially the roots. Elevate pots if you think the ground is sucking the heat out of the roots. This is an issue if you have a slab or other type of cold floor.

As temperature goes up, so does the ability of the air to hold water, thus reducing humidity, so a higher average temperature should reduce risk of fungus.

Contrary to many reports, high humidity is not good for plants except during germination and rooting. Lower humidity levels help the plant transpire CO2 and reduce risk of molds during flowering.

Studies indicate the potency of buds goes down as the temperature goes up, so it is important to see that the plants do not get too hot during flowering cycles.

* D. Gold: CO2, Temperature and Humidity, 1991 Edited by E. Rosenthal.

tube dude

Temperature is pobably the hardest thing to get dialed in on any cab. My exhaust fan is the most expensive peice of equipment in my cab. I was using a fan similar to yours and I had nothing but problems. Odor was also a problem before I switched fans.I don't haveany type of odor control. I just run my exhaust outside.

tejashidrow

Hey RAVE420....
Like the way it looks... Will keep my eye on ya...
I have used a fan simular to yours a bit ago, with limited to o.k. success...
First is location.. for optimum performance, this style of fan should be mounted to the TTOP/ceiling of your box.
And this fan is rated for STRAIGHT short exhuast duct runs runs Every 90 degree bend in the ducting takes off 50% of rated cfm.... so you may be only running at 20-25 cfm from the getgo.
I would suggest for temp control, mounting it at the top, or even better... Grab a 70-105 cfm axial/muffin fan off ebay for $10-15 dollars.. That will help for sure..
PM me if more info is needed on mounting... Grow Well PAX

rave420

UPDATE!

Well... nott really, nothing major happened, but here is a peek inside with the lights turned off anyway. Maybe this will give you guys a better idea on how i sett up my bulbs etc.

PICT0824_resize.JPG

As you can see, i measure the temperature directly at the canopy level, and during the last cycle it averaged out at 82F.

I am doing nothing for the smell, i am venting the warm exhaust air from the cab straight out the window. That is enough smell controll for me :D
Because the window is always a crack open, cold air comes in through that crack and falls straight to the ground, where it is sucked up by the passive air intake on my cab.

Thanks for all the info though, i am a bit less concerned about my temps now. I thought 75 - 85 was a bit too hot, but it seems like the temp range is A OK! Thanks for the reassurance :woohoo:

I'll keep this updated, and as soon as i know more about the sex of the plants i will post that too.

I am also vegging three unknown different bagseed strains, and i will take some clones later on. I hope they are female :D

Here is a pic of my Veg/mother room
PICT0825_resize.JPG

As you can see, i am trying a handwater-hydro system using the lucas formula :D i don't really know what i am doing there, i guess i am just messing around / getting some hands on experience.
The plants are three different unknown bagseed strains, all from some really crispy bud that reeks like pinesol mwahaha

And now, just two pics that are pleasing to the eye.
PICT0829_resize.JPG

And here are my future clones :D

PICT0830_resize.JPG

take care, thanks for dropping in!

rave420

cheers.
I took some more pics today, and i will continue to add daily pics to my gallery. i won't post them here every day i think, not until the action starts to happen.

So if you guys are interested in how things are coming along, then check out the gallery

PICT0832.JPG

I spread a very thin layer of worm castings over the top of my soil today and watered with a dilute solution of Seaweed extract (i'm using "Marinis Seaweed" by Rubicon Organics).
The worm castings contain 3% Calcium and 1% Magnesium, since i am using R/O water for my plants i think they can use some of that stuff.

I love the idea of everything being organic. In the beginning i was very concerned about Fertilizers, but since i read into that whole organic topic, i am less concerned now :)

Otherwise, everything is coming along smoothly.
Temps average out at 82F last cycle, and i am quite happy with that. Also, my night temps go down to 58F for an hour or two and then go back up again. That means we should see some colour during flowering :rasta:

tube dude

There is a lot good things in worm castings. I like to add a tbs per gal of molassis to my water. Lots of micro and macro nutrients. The microbes in the soil love the carbs and it is a good source of potassium. I just buy mine at the grocery store.

rave420

i know, worm castings are the shit right :D?
I was a little short on my budget when i started, so i didn't mix the worm castings into the soil, but sprinkled it on top of the soil. Do you think it will still work that way?

sorry for the crappy pic quality, but the 100kb filesize limit here is a real pain in the ass :wallbash:

Here are the (hopefully) ladies two hours after waking up
PICT0837.jpg

full size
here a pic to show some development
PICT0838.JPG

and here... here is something special i found the other day :joint:
I was going for a walk down to the playground, because thats where i go if the weather is nice and i want to toke. Anyway... I was sitting down, and as i was smoking i noticed a patch of what looked like small cannabis seedlings growing. Surely enough, there were at least 10 small seedlings shivering in the ground. 6 of them were attacked by slugs and the like, but there were 4 other small seedlings that looked "okay". Of course i knew they were not going to make it out here, since we have loooong cold moist winters, and the weather here doesnt permit outdoor growing till early summer.
Anyway, long story short, i dug them up and took em home. I put them in small pots with my prooven soil mix, and gave them some seaweed.
After 2 days they showed new growth and look a lot better than outside.
Yesterday i put them in my flower box, and today they look healthy.
Here is a picture
PICT0845.JPG

i have no idea what to do with them. I hope i can raise them untill they are strong enough to survive on my porch, sheltered from the ellements a bit. But for now, they need to take root and get stronger. I couldn't leave them were they were, knowing they would find their death out there for sure. nope, i just can't do that :noway:

WOW what a lucky find! is there not enough space to just leave them in ur cab? thats just crazy though... wish i could run outside and grab a couple seedlings outta the ground. haha that'd be awesome!

oh and sick setup you got there, cant wait to see those plants start filling in that screen

Latest posts

Latest posts