What's new

2x2 tent ideas and help

Desert Dan

Veteran
2000ppm,

I run a 2x2 DR60 and would reccomend a 150w hps all in one unit. They are cheap, less heat than a 250w, and if ya max out the gpw you should be able to pull 4-5 oz. Alot of people dont realize that the 2x2 footprint is actually reduced to 18-20" x 18-20" when it is all zipped up and the sides suck in a bit from the negative pressure. I have ran hgl leds, a 250w hps, and the 150w in the same tent at different times and I would say that the 150w is the perfect fit.

DD

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
A 150 hps flanked by 55w 6,500k pl-l fixtures would be the shit. For the cost of the other 2 bright kits with bulbs ($105) you could easily get a digital 150 hps and bulb.
A 4-5" S&P would be plenty for cooling and scrubbing.
That mixed spectrum makes some frosty tight buds.

Last edited:
ya the 100x S&P worked for me but I just hanged my bulb bare/vert... it just hanged off its cord.

with a fan blowing on it and the filter being so close it was all good.

the s&p has a high/low feature as well...

personally I would get the 6" S&P though now that I think about it... my 6 inch is pretty quiet on low compared to the 4 on high.

2000pm

Cost is no object... to a point. The higher-end LED systems right now I feel are not worth the cost to play with right now.

Thanks for the discussion everyone. I still feel like as Derka said, the light point issue would make PL-L more attractive for scrog growing than a smaller HPS it seems. (what kind of planted tank are you running btw? I used to do nanos back in the day so that's where I got introduced to this type of lighting).
And I've read the pl-l thread enough times to have been bracing for the "use hps" comments lol.

Mixed spectrum with 150hps and some pl-l isn't something I have thought of though.

Closet_ that is encouraging to know you ran that setup bare-buld and still kept it cool.

2000pm

Now you shouldnt let growth get taller than 20 or so with a 250. then you can dry the previous harvest in the area above the light. There's enough room for a couple paper grocery bags between the hood and the ceiling.

Oh thats perfect - I was really hoping to not have to make a bunch of separate drying/mother/etc chambers and this should help out a bunch. Still going to have to make a small bonsai mom box though.

one Q

Quality
Veteran
I wrote that assuming youre getting a DR60. If you didnt plan on getting a DR60, then change your plans and get a DR60. Doctor Six Oh. Once youve made enought posts, PM me and I'll share some boring details.

Derka

I currently have a 75 gallon vivarium. Fully planted keeping a variety of B.Orientalis and B.Bombina.

I also have a TomBarr style low tech planted aquarium, 90 gallons. Unfortunately both tanks are heavily over grown at the moment.

In the past Ive also done reefkeeping, although I've since given up on it due to the increased costs beyond basic operation.

2000pm

I wrote that assuming youre getting a DR60. If you didnt plan on getting a DR60, then change your plans and get a DR60. Doctor Six Oh. Once youve made enought posts, PM me and I'll share some boring details.

Ya I was planning on the DR60 II.

If you want to get 1g/w or more I would go with SEA OF GREEN, SOG. One needs female mother plants and a reliable cloning method though.

I do plan on running a SOG at some point for experimentation but I think I'm gonna get my feet wet with some scrog and a little longer runtime on fewer plants. Its been a while since I've grown anything though I've tended to plenty of things :).

I currently have a 75 gallon vivarium. Fully planted keeping a variety of B.Orientalis and B.Bombina.

I also have a TomBarr style low tech planted aquarium, 90 gallons. Unfortunately both tanks are heavily over grown at the moment.

In the past Ive also done reefkeeping, although I've since given up on it due to the increased costs beyond basic operation.

Nice reefkeeping was a really fun thing for sure, pretty similar to this in more ways than one! Mantis shrimp(!) and zoos were my favorites.

Derka

Huh.. I always considered Mantis Shrimp a parasite. Had a helluva time getting rid of one that was a stowaway in my 90 gallon reef tank. After receiving a 'gift' of some live rock from a mate, I started noticing that whole chunks of rock were getting knocked off the wall and to the bottom, finally managed to catch a glimpse of it after 6 weeks. I can't even count how many frags that damn thing destroyed before I finally managed to get rid of it. Another story for another time.

I am curious, have you selected a solution yet? Where are you at in the process?

2000pm

Yea I kept a softie tank separate from the dedicated mantis tank. That one only had liverock and some hitchhikers in it. He/she landscaped far too often for anything to stay static in there.

I am going to stick with my original plan of pl-ls and in the future add/swap a hps/led and a mixture of those at some point, depending on where I feel I need to go. I just feel like this will be the easiest way for me to get started.

I'll most likely begin next month.

Latest posts

Latest posts