What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2kw Perpetual Flip-flop SOG & Scrog

Cannabean

bc-toy: thank you for the kind words. glad to see others are successful in tents as well.

My canopy gets thick in these tents but I don't do any defoliation. I don't believe in it. I do remove a few leaves that are below the canopy to increase airflow...and I may be tempted to remove one or two leaves that shade colas of other plants...but thats it. I let them grow as they wish.

I use Hurricane brand 16" oscillating fans: http://www.hurricane-fans.com/products/wall-mount-fan-classic.aspx
I mount them to a piece of 1"x3" wood that is cut to the height of the tent. I then drill one of the tent pole support connectors to the top of the wood:

This allows me to move the fan around the tent as I wish. I snap the connector onto one of the ceiling crossbeams and can swivel the fan to blow in a desired direction while keeping the fan mounted sturdy.

I did have one plant grow into the fan this round...it had some scarring on the top of the cola but nothing major. using the 1x3 and mounting it in the corner keeps the fan out of the plants way for the most part.

Schrews: thanks buddy. yah I really like H&G, the plants respond to it very well when they are healthy. that shooting powder can really add significant weight to the plants, i love it!

Hank & Kanibal: glad to see you're sticking around, hope you're enjoying the show. things are good but I won't have a new tent started for a few weeks after this harvest...trying to get my mother count back up. it'll be nice to have a break for a bit :dance013:

SOG Tent update
I have made a few changes to the SOG tent, which unfortunately has not gotten much exposure in this thread. that will change shortly.

Growing Blue Dream Haze as my primary, I was struggling with maximizing yeilds while keeping her short enough to not grow into the light. In a SOG tent, this is difficult.....I was using Snapture PVC table stands which kept the table floor at 17" from floor of the tent. That only allowed me about 35" space from top of pot to bottom of light. Plants should be no closer than 12" from a 1kw light, so I was left with about 2ft of plant height.

I've now dropped the tables onto 8x8" cinder blocks and changed the table to Drain to Waste. Both tents are now DTW in effort to not require gravity to recirc. Drain to waste keeps my res cleaner too.

The spray bottle comparison shows how far the tables are now above the floor of the tent.

Stay tuned for the SCROG tent harvest. 25 plants and arguably one of my best Blue Dream Haze harvests I've done. Today is all football (go niners!) and chopping so dry pics and weights less than a week from now.

Cannabean

chop pics!

I just love the yellowing the fan leaves get after a nice weeklong flush with RO water

Scrog tent day 67 after 7 days of flush

BDH Day 67

Cannabean

harvest was last weekend, plants are all jarred and dried at this point...

drum roll....

final weight from 25 plants was 702g...a new PR for me in the scrog tent!

Blue Dream Haze (19 plants): 594g (31.3 g/plant)
Casey Jones (5 plants): 98g (19.6 g/plant)
Dubtech7 (one plant): 10g
Total: 702g

the goal is 1 gpw and I'm getting closer...0.7gpw this round. the scrog tent is only 3'9"x3'9" and i use a 3x3 table. I think i could get 1 gpw+ using the same 1000w light under a 5x5 canopy.

some dried pics...

Blue Dream Haze

one of the many blue dream haze colas

Cannabean

Dubtech 7

Casey Jones

coming up next....both tents are empty right now but that will soon change...I picked up some exciting new strains and i'll be filling tents with more babies in a few days.

bbing

smoking some of it right now:smoker:
Not bad...Casey does taste like old casey but I think you need to let her bush more and mild focusing. That OGK was good dude. Got anymore lol.

Cannabean

glad to have you back bbing! :bigeye:

I have been prepping babies to fill the tents since the I posted last, very busy work with so many clones. I couldn't get Tahoe OG to root any clones despite taking 50+ cuts over a few months. i give up and now she gets flowered.

Scrog tent day 0 - 23 BDH, 1 Dubtech7, 1 Tahoe OG
Tahoe is front right corner, dubtech is far left corner

and yesterday... Scrog tent day 12

that's all very exciting but you've seen me flower BDH in that tent a hundred times now. whats better...the SOG tent is finally filled!

SOG tent day 0
right table: 28 Trainwreck
left table: 10 Purple Kush, 18 Girl Scout Cookies

does anyone know how much these strains will stretch? i let them get pretty tall thinking they would stretch less than blue dream haze...hope so

Cannabean

I appreciate the complements sqydro & OldSchoolGreen

SOG Tent day 19:
(Purple Kush & Girl Scout Cookies on left side, Trainwreck on right side)

SCROG Tent (aka SOG Tent #2) Day 31
1 Dubtech 7, 1 Tahoe OG, 23 Blue Dream Haze

mdk ktm

If you had a little more space you would hit 1gpw no doubt. I gotta couple questions for you though. So do you like coco better than the hydroton top fed you did with your last grow? Which one yielded better for you? Grow looks great by the way, you are killing it as always! I would like to see you running a nice little 4k room or something. Your plants always look great, much respect.

Cannabean

If you had a little more space you would hit 1gpw no doubt. I gotta couple questions for you though. So do you like coco better than the hydroton top fed you did with your last grow? Which one yielded better for you? Grow looks great by the way, you are killing it as always! I would like to see you running a nice little 4k room or something. Your plants always look great, much respect.

thanks mdk! I do prefer the coco over hydroton top fed, its just so much less hassle. Top feeding hydroton was difficult for me to ensure the entire root structure got water. hydroton would be better in a flood and drain setup i think.

Either way, i prefer coco since I am running so many plants, if a dripper clogs and I dont notice it immeaditely, the plant will slowly tell/show me it's dripper is clogged and I can fix it before the plant dies. In hydroton, since you need to feed 3+ times per day, one day of clogged dripper can result in a dead unrecoverable plant. It takes the worry out of my system. Also uses less water and I prefer DTW Drain To Waste setup with coco; the plants always get fresh, fully nuted water each feed.

Coco yielded more for me, but i only ran hydroton a few grows. I've done 30+ harvests in coco so I have it much more dialed than I ever did with ton. Hydroton may have the potential to yield more since it has more frequent dry/wet cycles per day...but I'm all about the yield-effort ratio; my current DTW coco setup needs less than 1 hour of my time per week to average 700g every 2 months per 1kw light.
plus i hated flushing the red gunk from the hydroton before using it. coco is just plug and play, no prep needed. I use House and Garden coco and its perfect and ready right out of the bag.

SOG tent day 35

Trainwreck Day 35

SCROG tent day 47

I only call this a scrog tent but it is not a scrog tent by definition. I'm tired of seeing people say they run SOGs with 16 plants per 1kw...Im sorry that is not a SOG by definition. a SOG is 4 plants per square foot, in my opinion. A scrog requires a net and training. This tent is neither; no net and about 2.7 plants per square foot. /rant

see that plant in the far right middle area of the group, the one that looks dying...that was a plant that didn't get water for a few days. it was close to death but was able to 'show' me it was hurting and I fixed it before it really died. the yellowing you see are the dead leaves from dehydration, but its still alive and budding just fine. in hydroton, that girl would have been a goner after 1 day without water.

Blue Dream Haze day 47

The "scrog" tent will come down by day 55 and the SOG tent will likely come down sooner than that so stay tuned in!!!

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Coco is awesome! better than rockwool!

How many freaking tents do you have!

And sure techinically speaking you don't have a SOG but brother - thats a SOG :respect:

Theres guys growing in computer cases - cmon now! your killing it!

awesome thread - genetics - pictures - all nice clean and dankkkkk

I like that dubtech girl ;)

Last edited:

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
trainwreck isn't the best to run in a SOG , she likes to branch out like crazy. looks like the trainwreck kind of smotherd the cookies or am i wrong? anyway things are looking great !

Buddler

Veteran
Ya nice grow I bet the trainwreck buries the PK stretchy crazy like welL a trainwreck ,awesome looking grows though..

Cannabean

Lyryc: aw man now you got me feeling bad. I didnt mean any disrespect to smaller growers. thanks buddy. i have 4 tents but only 2 flower tents, just seems like a lot since they are perpetual and the SOG tent has two tables which i flower out separately sometimes. my SOG tent is truly a SOG by technical terms, 4 plants per sq ft and the trainwreck is really blowing up in there.

Schrews: you're so right. the trainwreck really prefers to bush out, something I didn't know beforehand. she's falling all over the place and leaning into the PK/GSC table.

Buddler haha yep. its a wreck in that tent right now. i unfortunately won't be able to let GSC/PK go to their ideal 70 days due to some unforeseen circumstances, but the trainwreck will compensate for that.

SOG tent day 44:

Trainwreck day 44

Purple Kush day 44

Girl Scout Cookies day 44

Cannabean

SCROG tent day 54, day 4 flush

Blue Dream Haze day 54, day 4 flush

I'll be chopping this tent in a day or two, harvest pics to come soon. thanks for viewing and I appreciate your comments!!!
:kitty: